Discussion: Put up your Rumph replacement list

Since someone else brought up the topic I figured I put up a thread discussing it the right way. Here’s mine.

1. Jeffery Modkins TCU
2. Steven Clinkscale UK
3. Archie Collins Pitt
4. Jeff Popovich GT (who’s also an Alum)
5. Jeff Burris
6. Jay Simpson UAB

Why? He's not getting fired—and even if he left, some meaningless list isn't going to amount a hill of **** regarding who's hired.

Advertisement
Manny's defensive philosophy simply doesn't value cornerbacks so unless Rumph leaves or Banda pushes to coach the entire secondary rumph leaving is unlikely. Patke leaving is the best case scenario but another unlikely scenario. Gotta hope this defense balls out big time and maybe him and baker are lured away from Coral Gables.

Manny's defensive philosophy simply doesn't value cornerbacks so unless Rumph leaves or Banda pushes to coach the entire secondary rumph leaving is unlikely. Patke leaving is the best case scenario but another unlikely scenario. Gotta hope this defense balls out big time and maybe him and baker are lured away from Coral Gables.

I can't even imagine where you come with this stuff. That's some next level imagination you got there.

Advertisement
Hooker, another guy basically starting his first career game against UM. As I mentioned b/c of the division/schedule we don't face many high powered offenses or QB's, basically ever. So if you had to look at 2020's schedule. Howell and Hooker stand out.
Why does hooker standout?? 10-20 for 184 and 3 tubs that were all on blown assignments to RB or TEs don’t scare anyone. You know what would’ve helped, jarred Williams not throwing 5 picks in the 1st half leading directly to leading directly to 28 pts

Advertisement
Anyone isolating certain Rumph traits to say “oh it’s just this he’s bad at” needs to look at the whole picture:

- 2018 was his best recruiting class. It was also the most stacked CB year ever and Jobe decommitted, Bethel is gone, and Frierson is a safety/striker.

- Soo many solid corners yearly that are high 3-stars/low 4-stars that are certainly within UM’s reach but we never get any.

- Consistent attrition at the position with Malek Young’s unfortunate situation being the only excusable one

- It’s been reported Manny has been close to letting him go in back to back years.

- The fact that someone who’s from SoFlo, a 1st round CB at the U, a HC at a powerhouse HS in Broward, and a good coach is this bad at recruiting depth and high-floor talent

Mike Rumph is a SOLID coach, a GREAT Cane, and an AWFUL recruiter. But we’ve gotten a large enough sample size to see that this is not the best we can do at CB.

You don’t fire him just to fire him before a better option is presented, but if I’m Manny I’m actively searching for his successor.

Advertisement
Guys like Dee Delaney and Jhavonte Dean were absolutely horrific and showed no development.

We also have the benefit of playing in the coastal and going years at a time without playing a high powered throwing offense.

2018 and 2019 were seasons with nothing but absolute JAGS at QB for our CB's to go against. Outside of maybe Howell who was 19yrs old playing in his 2nd game of his life.

In our smoke and mirrors 2017 season he allowed god awful QB's like Kelly Bryant and Hornibrook have literally career games.

Him and Patke are major liabilities. Competent guys like Hooker from V.Tech and Howell are gonna absolutely rape the secondary this year. Overall the seasons stats will continue to be misleadingly good b/c the schedule is easier than most group of 5 teams.
VT comparison? Im going to throw up. VT sucks at everything..

Why does hooker standout?? 10-20 for 184 and 3 tubs that were all on blown assignments to RB or TEs don’t scare anyone. You know what would’ve helped, jarred Williams not throwing 5 picks in the 1st half leading directly to leading directly to 28 pts
VT comparison? Im going to throw up. VT sucks at everything..

I said Rumph and the secondary benefit greatly off of playing dogshlt QB's and offenses year in and year out. If there was someone in 2020 who could test our DB's outside of Howell. You'd probably think it was this Hooker kid. He ended up having a nice year last year and bringing up his very first college start again UM is beyond meaningless.

I didn't say he was a Heisman hopeful. You can't be this dense

Advertisement
3rd downs are not always passing downs..if someone could provide down and distance on those conversions then that stat will have more context..there were multiple times teams ran or QBs scrambled on 3rd down for 1st downs..if a O is in 3rd and 5 or less that’s to the advantage of the offense..I’ll give you the fact blades and Ivey need to finish when they are in position..but I’m not gonna try them as tho they don’t belong in a Miami or P5 secondary. Especially given the fact they are youngins
Woah, wtf happened in here?

Anyways, Yea it’s not always a passing down but for the most part it is and we’re not an elite third down team. Rumph’s a good coach but like I said before he isn’t good enough to put up with his recruiting and even though our Pass D is top 20 we still are average on 3rd down. We been average on 3rd down for years and we’ve always struggled to defend intermediate routes to the outside. We need to look for somebody to get us over the hump especially in recruiting. Does Patke need to go too? Yea but nobody is coming here to be an outside linebackers coach so that’s gonna have to be an internal hire.

I said Rumph and the secondary benefit greatly off of playing dogshlt QB's and offenses year in and year out. If there was someone in 2020 who could test our DB's outside of Howell. You'd probably think it was this Hooker kid. He ended up having a nice year last year and bringing up his very first college start again UM is beyond meaningless.

I didn't say he was a Heisman hopeful. You can't be this dense
nah the only QBs that can challenge us imo are Blackmon, Howell and maybe pickett

Banda has more misses than Rumph and let be real about his so call great relationship with Avantae Williams who was commitment to UF and didn't flip to UM until Ed Reed was hired
**** are you talking about? Banda has helped out other positions groups with recruiting as well as his own position. Most of the kids on this roster from Dade were recruited by Banda at some level.

Why? He's not getting fired—and even if he left, some meaningless list isn't going to amount a hill of **** regarding who's hired.
If you think he’s not gonna be fired with the way that can class is looking right now then you really shouldn’t be commenting.

Advertisement
Back