Disappointed in dline play this year

Advertisement
We don't have any pass rushers

Harvey has been disappointing

McCloud is who we thought he was

DeAndre isn't what we expected. When McCloud was named a starter over him, I think that was our 'hint'

This Defense needs Elite Athleticism at DE. Sometimes, it seems like our DEs have no actual responsibility, as they lose contain routinely.

We should just play the young guys and let them get game experience. There's no use throwing a 6th coverted LB out there, when someone like Elijah Roberts can get legitimate burn and work on his game.

I wish we would have packages for guys like sam brooks, who showed the ability to get after the passer in HS. I know Sam is a bad example, as he's been hurt, but we have a few of these converted HS pass rushers who should be better than the guys we are hoping to get some kind of pressure on the QB.

We don't have any pass rushers

Harvey has been disappointing

McCloud is who we thought he was

DeAndre isn't what we expected. When McCloud was named a starter over him, I think that was our 'hint'

This Defense needs Elite Athleticism at DE. Sometimes, it seems like our DEs have no actual responsibility, as they lose contain routinely.

We should just play the young guys and let them get game experience. There's no use throwing a 6th coverted LB out there, when someone like Elijah Roberts can get legitimate burn and work on his game.

I wish we would have packages for guys like sam brooks, who showed the ability to get after the passer in HS. I know Sam is a bad example, as he's been hurt, but we have a few of these converted HS pass rushers who should be better than the guys we are hoping to get some kind of pressure on the QB.
Agree with all of this , Sam brooks was a beast playing end at northwestern.

They will get better during the season on the edges in the interior I’m kind of more worried about how 300 pound humans are getting pushed around like babies

Advertisement
😂😂 I thought 53 was the next Trent Harris tho? Dude is trash. 13 is trash. Manny gonna keep playing his boys and it’s going to be the same results.. Top 3 should be Chantz, Harvey and Roberts.

This board overated the **** out of Simpson. Wasn't a huge fan of him the first time around. You have to be able to recruit or be an elite teacher. He's neither.
He did a great job last time and we're 4 games in. I'll slide more to your side if I don't see the boys improving on the DL as the season progresses.

Advertisement
The thing with this staff and defense i'd like to see more of is flexibility/usage changes to get the most talent on the field. If we have DTs who have the agility to kick out to DE and help with the run game while still adding something to the pass rush, why wouldn't the coaches try it? The edge guys have been underwhelming this season, particularly against the run, so what is there to lose?

JHH is listed at 285. There are NFL DEs in that range who do just fine. Cam Jordan is 287. Joey Bosa is 280.
Roberts is 270 and could have been in the DE rotation early on.

Moving those hybrid guys around would allow for more size across the Dline as well as potentially allow more snaps for your deeper position of DT, with guys like Nesta, Miller, and even a guy like LT.
We're in College though. 280lbs is fine for a DT.

They were lucky to land Phillips and have G15 be who he was. Other than that everything on that DL has been shut. We have Simpson who could teach but u need to be able to recruit. If u can't do that find someone else who can. Diaz is fuqed that hire and his recruiting cost him this job. And the SEC is now going hard after portal guys like the LB from Tennessee.....Diaz blew it with his first two classes and now he will be looking for a job as expected after this season. Just watch the next HC first recruiting class and I'll tell u if he's looking for a new job in three years

McCloud gets ragged but those other guys have been str8 ***.
I'm very curious where Manny will end up ...if he can get a job

I could bet my account it won't be at bama
It's been well-documented on CIS that when you fail as HC at the U, it doesn't bode well for your future. And the reason for that is - any slightly above average coach (not good, solid or great) should be able to stumble backwards into 9 wins a year with our schedule. I mean, the measure of whether or not a coach should keep his job at the U SHOULD begin after 9 wins, since we out-athlete all, but maybe 2 opponents a year.

In other words, when you fail at the U, the CFB world recognizes that you're simply not good at this whole football coaching thing.

Advertisement
It's been well-documented on CIS that when you fail as HC at the U, it doesn't bode well for your future. And the reason for that is - any slightly above average coach (not good, solid or great) should be able to stumble backwards into 9 wins a year with our schedule. I mean, the measure of whether or not a coach should keep his job at the U SHOULD begin after 9 wins, since we out-athlete all, but maybe 2 opponents a year.

In other words, when you fail at the U, the CFB world recognizes that you're simply not good at this whole football coaching thing.
It doesn't bode well because we hire scrubs. We need an alpha like a Freeze, Mario, those types. And I will be adament about I'm concerned and don't have a good feeling on Lane Kiffin here but that's just me.

From me being at the games and watching i'd say they play about the same level...but Nesta has a better motor than JHH. Neither can take n the two blockers correctly...and split the double team.
Bro, we all know u have a soft spot for So Fla players. Lol

We JUST had a thread about how Nesta was a bust. He plays well against inferior opponents (G5 & P5), but once he plays against P5 comp, he’s a non factor. I’m keeping it 100%. He only relies upon his bull rush, which doesn’t work against other P5 programs.

Bro, we all know u have a soft spot for So Fla players. Lol

We JUST had a thread about how Nesta was a bust. He plays well against inferior opponents (G5 & P5), but once he plays against P5 comp, he’s a non factor. I’m keeping it 100%. He only relies upon his bull rush, which doesn’t work against other P5 programs.
Its not about soft spot. I loved Hunte from the moment we signed him...im just being real. Hunte needs alot of weight room work because he gets bullied around alot. 1on 1 in pass rush he is pretty solid.

Nesta has a better motor than he does...thats not even a question and their stats are the exact same.

Advertisement
This board overated the **** out of Simpson. Wasn't a huge fan of him the first time around. You have to be able to recruit or be an elite teacher. He's neither.

Idk about this. We have some coaches on the staff that wouldn't have a problem finding a home if things didn't work out in Coral Gables. I have no issues with the job Eric Hickson is doing. Likens is highly regarded and Field's name is always brought up in recruiting. TROB is known all over.

That's the worst thing about our season... we have decent, well- regarded, coaches. Lashlee was one of the hottest names available when it came to hiring an OC 2 years ago. That's why I believe our issues come from the BOT/President/AD on down.

Nobody cares. And I guess that attitude has made its way into the locker room

We're in College though. 280lbs is fine for a DT.

It doesn't change my point. I've been saying it for a few years now as this D has gotten gashed in the run game with LB size guys playing DE. You can use hybrid DTs or bigger DTs with agility at DE AND get your best talent more reps overall. DT was never a strength before, it might be this year with the lack of depth at DE. So use them. JHH, Roberts can play DE with Nesta/Miller/Ford/LT inside. That's some SERIOUS size and strength on a DLine.

Also, 280 in college can work....but 280 against 330 pound double teams from Bama doesn't.....at least not for 60 minutes. For spurts that speed could give them trouble but any guy that size is likely to wear down over the long haul of that game, especially if the offense can't keep the D off the field. It's why JHH and Nesta should never be on the field together at DT because neither can hold up to double teams. Each has to be paired with a Ford/Miller to take that double. But if you put JHH outside with Nesta and another inside, you could have something.

Its not about soft spot. I loved Hunte from the moment we signed him...im just being real. Hunte needs alot of weight room work because he gets bullied around alot. 1on 1 in pass rush he is pretty solid.

Nesta has a better motor than he does...thats not even a question and their stats are the exact same.

I agree, that Hunte needs more weight, but he’s doing all this as a RS-FR when Nesta is a Sr. What I see is our entire DL have taken a step back from the DEs to the DTs, but I also see JHH created more havoc in the backfield vs Nesta cleaning up tackles that’s already past the the L.O.S

Advertisement
Back