Disappointed in dline play this year

Advertisement
Animated GIF

Pass rush has been a problem so far. We have talented guys, though. For this one kind of waiting to see how they look by the end of the year w Simpson, though.
I don’t think we have enough talent at edge. We just lost 2 first round picks so I get it but 12 never developed like he was supposed to and then you have 53 and 13 basically starting which is ridiculous.

Advertisement
The thing with this staff and defense i'd like to see more of is flexibility/usage changes to get the most talent on the field. If we have DTs who have the agility to kick out to DE and help with the run game while still adding something to the pass rush, why wouldn't the coaches try it? The edge guys have been underwhelming this season, particularly against the run, so what is there to lose?

JHH is listed at 285. There are NFL DEs in that range who do just fine. Cam Jordan is 287. Joey Bosa is 280.
Roberts is 270 and could have been in the DE rotation early on.

Moving those hybrid guys around would allow for more size across the Dline as well as potentially allow more snaps for your deeper position of DT, with guys like Nesta, Miller, and even a guy like LT.

The thing with this staff and defense i'd like to see more of is flexibility/usage changes to get the most talent on the field. If we have DTs who have the agility to kick out to DE and help with the run game while still adding something to the pass rush, why wouldn't the coaches try it? The edge guys have been underwhelming this season, particularly against the run, so what is there to lose?

JHH is listed at 285. There are NFL DEs in that range who do just fine. Cam Jordan is 287. Joey Bosa is 280.
Roberts is 270 and could have been in the DE rotation early on.

Moving those hybrid guys around would allow for more size across the Dline as well as potentially allow more snaps for your deeper position of DT, with guys like Nesta, Miller, and even a guy like LT.
It's a great point! If we're not getting an effective pass rush from speedier, lighter guys, then put some of these DT hybrids in there and at minimum they should be able to set the edge better and perhaps even get after the QB a little. It's certainly worth some experimentation this Thursday, especially on early downs.

Advertisement
We are small as **** at DE.

Not sure why but Elijah Roberts needs more time at END. Harvey, Mccloud, Deandre Johnson a..all light in the ***...and an obvious step down from what we are use to.
Chantz has flashed alot and getting more reps. Dare i say he might need to start.
But real deal we are SMALLLLL on defense....at times yesterday we had Gilbert Frierson as an INSIDE lINEBACKER. Not sure what they are going for ...(im guessing more speed) but we are little.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I honestly cant see how us Portal Champs didnt get that freak at DE that FSU got....maybe he had prior relations witht heir staff..but dude seemed to be a definate scheme fit for us at END.

I think we will need to be in the portal again this class for a DL.

Deandre Johnson has proen to be mid or below avg..Mccloud is easily better than him...and Mccloud is a guy that should be rotational at best..not starting.

We are small as **** at DE.

Not sure why but Elijah Roberts needs more time at END. Harvey, Mccloud, Deandre Johnson a..all light in the ***...and an obvious step down from what we are use to.
Chantz has flashed alot and getting more reps. Dare i say he might need to start.
But real deal we are SMALLLLL on defense....at times yesterday we had Gilbert Frierson as an INSIDE lINEBACKER. Not sure what they are going for ...(im guessing more speed) but we are little.
I guess I wasn't paying attention to that part of it. Are you saying the ONLY DE who has consistently been disruptive and caused turnovers is NOT starting???

Reason number 6,3477 as to why Manny is unfit to be our HC. Manny's entire career is hanging by a fraying thread and he's not starting the ONLY DE who has consistently played at a high level...?

I mean, what...? Huh...? I don't.... um....

I guess I wasn't paying attention to that part of it. Are you saying the ONLY DE who has consistently been disruptive and caused turnovers is NOT starting???

Reason number 6,3477 as to why Manny is unfit to be our HC. Manny's entire career is hanging by a fraying thread and he's not starting the ONLY DE who has consistently played at a high level...?

I mean, what...? Huh...? I don't.... um....
The only reason i wouldnt go scorching earth on it though is.....THEY ROTATE ALOT.....so Chantz is likely seeing the same amount of snaps or close to it.

Advertisement
Back