Dionte Mullins gets physically big in UM's strength program

Felt Chad should be losing weight not gaining weight... I personally think he should be playing at 260

I agree with this. Chad should be playing at 260lbs, max.

Even though I know he's put on good weight, I'd also like to see Mullins drop 5-7 to play at 193-195lbs. I think that's ideal for him

Be honest...when the pads are on..can you really eyeball a guy and notice ah 10 pound difference in him and his game? Really? Chad Thomas according to that list gain 5 lbs! Couldn't he had have a spike in water weight or just simply got stronger which lead to weighing just ah bit more..

Last edited:
Advertisement
LOL at the CIS obsession with FBs. 5 game breaking WRs and an NFL TE, and CIS wants a FB on the field.

Last year it was the 300 pound transfer from Mars Hill who was going to revolutionize our offense. I tried to tell you guys it's an antiquated position that would get abot 6 to 8 reps per game. Nah. You guys didn't want to hear it. Now Gray is the next bigtime FB. LULZ

I mentioned him as a FB only to get another athlete on the field. I mean would you rather the kid get a chance at FB or never play a meaningful minute in his career at UM.

I'd rather we play the best players who give us the best chance to score TDs as often as possible. If Gray isn't one of those guys then I don't care if he never sees the field. He will have gotten a $250k scholarship in exchange for nothing. He will have won that deal, and I'll wish him well.

:rickflair2:

Felt Chad should be losing weight not gaining weight... I personally think he should be playing at 260

I agree with this. Chad should be playing at 260lbs, max.

Even though I know he's put on good weight, I'd also like to see Mullins drop 5-7 to play at 193-195lbs. I think that's ideal for him

Be honest...when the pads are on..can you really eyeball a guy and notice ah 10 pound difference in him and his game? Really? Chad Thomas according to that list gain 5 lbs! Couldn't he had have a spike in water weight or just simply got stronger which lead to weighing just ah bit more..

hilarious how message board poRsters think they know how much weight a player "should" be playing at??? smh weird *** ppl

I agree that he should be in the 260lb range, but Don't think it's too big of deal since he was never the speed rusher type. I'd expect him to stay in that 265-275 range this season. But don't forget, he is 6'6". So its not like he's walking around looking like a DT, he still looks lean.

For example Myles Garrett is 6'4" 272lbs, and Soloman Thomas is 6'3"273, and I think those are the 2 best DE's in this draft. But the best comparison is probably Taco Charlton who is 6'6" and 277lbs, but is definitely considered a DE. So him being 275lbs at 6'6" is actually good, as long as he doesn't lose athleticism being that big. Plus I think Chad runs like a 4.8 40, while Charlton ran a 4.92.

anyone got the workout results from the past few years?

hopefully Grey plays FB. would be wonderful to have another great athlete like him on the field in some manner.

lmao gotta love this website. first hes a wr now hes a FB. lol.

Actually this is not a bad idea. He is obviously or should I say probably not going to get many reps as a tail back. So it would be a great way to get an athlete like him on the field plus he has the size to play fullback.

Mullins development is great news. The speed element will be the key for our offense being more explosive. The development of the young speed receivers will have to happen fast for this to happen.

Advertisement
260 is too light for Chad Thomas, he has the build to play at an elite level under this coaching staff at whatever the fck weight they want him at!!

Dumb. He's gonna rotate in at DT this year. His future is probably 3Tech in the NFL. Or superstar music guru. One or the other.

Is he playing 3 tech here? No. And if his future is at 3 tech why was he and everybody else mad at how Gooden played him? He was pretty much a 3 technique under golden... he was recruited here for his athleticism .. he only lines up at DT ocassionally on passing downs right? Is that what u want him to tailor his weight for? He played under golden and looked slow he looked much quicker faster and had more pop last year... at a lower weight... and last year he played at 265 not 275... I was on here when we all raved about how lean he looked he weighed in at 265 last year not 270 go look it up.. if he's 275 now that means he gained 10 pounds... I think he should be 260

Last edited:
Chad looked like he was on his way to a big season before he hurt his hand. His game noticeably slipped after that. If he can stay healthy this year I think he'll go off. It's his contract season.

Advertisement

Dumb. He's gonna rotate in at DT this year. His future is probably 3Tech in the NFL. Or superstar music guru. One or the other.

Is he playing 3 tech here? No. And if his future is at 3 tech why was he and everybody else mad at how Gooden played him? He was pretty much a 3 technique under golden... he was recruited here for his athleticism .. he only lines up at DT ocassionally on passing downs right? Is that what u want him to tailor his weight for? He played under golden and looked slow he looked much quicker faster and had more pop last year... at a lower weight... and last year he played at 265 not 275... I was on here when we all raved about how lean he looked he weighed in at 265 last year not 270 go look it up.. if he's 275 now that means he gained 10 pounds... I think he should be 260

Chad Thomas is an All ACC type at DE when healthy. But if he gains another 10 pounds of good weight, we're talking NFL starting 3 Tech at the next level. Like Tommie Harris and Darnell Cokkett. Dude is huge and powerful and his decent quicks at DE equals elite quicks inside.

I don't understand why so many Cane fans are so averse to following JJ's tried and true formula of turning DEs into DTs, LBs into DE's, S's into LB's, etc. It's not like our entire dynasty on defense at least was built on this principle. smdh.

Last edited:
Attached is a link with the 40s for each player that had them from the 2016 class (Scout site):

2016 Miami (Fl) Football Recruiting Commits

He ran a 4.48 as a senior - faster than Richards and Bruce. He was a fast guy to begin with. And players do gain speed and explosiveness with weight if it's done correctly - which it probably was since we have a quality staff....

Mullins wasnt the fastest guy to begin with.

Being +20lbs will not help his explosiveness.

Post your source please.

Yeah thats ridiculous. I can definitely see Chad Thomas sliding down in definite pass rushing situations so another DE can be brought on the field. But no way Chad is going to be a DT.

I just gave a list of guys that were 270lbs, and were all a few inches shorter with the exception of charlton. So if he doesn't lose athleticism then I think it's perfectly natural at his height to be 270lbs.

Advertisement
I will trust Kool & Felder to what they believe his target weight should be. But I think people sometimes forget that DE position is not only about pass rushing and sacks. They are also very important in ability to set the edge against opponent's rushing attack. Looks at stats and you will see that the UM rush defense suffered whenever Chad was not on the field. He was a key part in stopping the run and his size probably plays into that.

Hopefully this year he can balance things out and continue to develop to better thrive as a pass rusher while still excelling on setting an edge against the run.

Great, he gained 20lbs, and he'll probably lose 15 during Spring practice.

How big is his crank, though?

People on this board hate asking the tough questions.

Chad Thomas is an All ACC type at DE when healthy. But if he gains another 10 pounds of good weight, we're talking NFL starting 3 Tech at the next level. Like Tommie Harris and Darnell Cokkett. Dude is huge and powerful and his decent quicks at DE equals elite quicks inside.

I don't understand why so many Cane fans are so averse to following JJ's tried and true formula of turning DEs into DTs, LBs into DE's, S's into LB's, etc. It's not like our entire dynasty on defense at least was built on this principle. smdh.

Chad Thomas with 10 more pounds is still 10 pounds lighter than Harris and Dockett and 2-3" taller. He is exactly what teams want as a strongside DE.

I don't understand the fascination with moving everyone. Just because a few players moved forward with success, doesn't mean every player should. Sean Taylor was just as big or bigger than most of our LBs, should he have moved down? Think about how his athleticism would have played there!

Advertisement

I'm trying to make sense of this...last year he played at 265..according to you...and as a still growing/developing young man..you think he should weigh less this year??..at 260?? And we all can pretty much agree he was a lean 265. Can you explain how weighing less this year than last is gonna help him out?.. This cat isn't overweight at all. And...don't forget when we get to our 2a days..some of that water weights gone..a couple pounds give or take.

LOL at the CIS obsession with FBs. 5 game breaking WRs and an NFL TE, and CIS wants a FB on the field.

Last year it was the 300 pound transfer from Mars Hill who was going to revolutionize our offense. I tried to tell you guys it's an antiquated position that would get abot 6 to 8 reps per game. Nah. You guys didn't want to hear it. Now Gray is the next bigtime FB. LULZ

you're the same guy that last year used to get his rocks off on the numbers kayaa was putting up in spring with richt calling plays

you're that same guy

You're the guy last year who was openly sobbing and begging for prayers as a thunderstorm rolled into your neck of the trailer park.

You're that same guy.

Over 1k people alone in Haiti died in that thunderstorm you fat nerd sack of ****

Advertisement
Back