Difference Makers

He was arguably one of the best QBs in the entire nation the last six games of the year What are you talking about. It was his first year starting. Please stop it already and go watch football and learn. When Mario got here he said one of the biggest reasons he came here was because of TVD. He’s watched his film I’m sure a bunch of times so he knew what he was getting. He’s been the talk of practices in spring on just how much better he’s gotten.
You got it Mr Van Dyke

Advertisement
You got it Mr Van Dyke
comedy central thank you GIF by The Jim Jefferies Show

@Umfire87 , well put. We've recruited atrociously. @Cribby, you are of course also correct. Our atrocious recruiting was still better than the rest of the Coastal, and there were a large group of talented kids who didn't develop as expected, partly due to poor coaching, partly due to character issues. Just a **** show all around. Which is why we're barely .500 W/L in P5 games over the past 15-20 years.

The biggest takeaway I have from all this soul cleansing is that Mario inherited a team with a ton of holes. Even his insane energy to close a relatively good 2022 class and add multiple portal kids is not enough to turn us into a powerhouse any time soon. Probably enough to make us marginally better than the rest of the Coastal, but not decisively so. He needs time. And we need to be patient.

As I pointed out; since 2007, we’ve been ranked either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in terms of ACC recruiting, with the other 2 of 3 teams coming from the ACC Atlantic. I believe we were out recruited twice since we’ve joined the ACC by another Coastal team which was UNC. We’ve typically ranked in the top 15 out of 127 FBS schools in recruiting. Every blue moon, we’ll rank outside the top 20, & that was mostly due to coaching changes.

The point I’ve made is this; we know recruiting services r not the end all, BUT we also know they r pretty accurate just based upon who the contending teams usually r based upon the amount of blue chips on their roster per such services. So the ? is, how is it possible that these recruiting services r ‘normally’ right about the blue chips that go to the OSUs, Bamas, UGAs, Clemsons, OUs, etc. of the world, yet somehow r almost, always incorrect w/ guys who come here?

Do we need more dudes to compete w/ those aforementioned teams? Yes, no doubt. We saw the talent discrepancy against Bama last yr, not just the coaching, but pure speed & tackling. However w/ that being said, we’ve also had way more than enough to beat the UVAs, FIUs, VAgTechs, Pitt, UNCs, etc of the world.

Clearly our issues have stemmed from an infrastructure standpoint, meaning coaching, culture, athletic dept. While we praise Miami for having two first round draft picks in 2021, that’s far in between.
- UGA just had 15 players drafted in one draft.
- Bama just set the record for most players drafted from a roster (breaking the tie w/ our ‘01 team).
- Cincy just had 9 players drafted in a single draft.

Patting ourselves on the back for Phillips & Rousseau is nice, but the dark side to that 2021 draft class is we only had 4 players taken, total, w/ the next pick coming in round 5. The domino effect that’s transpired here is the dudes we needed to come, didn’t b/c no one is coming to a school to get drafted in the 5th round+. So when they see allllllll of these Top247 players coming to Miami & not being coached up to make that bag at the next level, they r going to take their talents elsewhere.

That’s y Diaz & his predecessors had to go. Let the draft of 2022 be a reminder to ANYONE IN THE SHADOWS STILL THINKING DIAZ GOT A RAW DEAL come to their senses as to y a wholesale change needed to happen. But, again, PLEASE LET THE 2022 DRAFT REMIND U TO GIVE MARIO AT LEAST TWO YRS TO REMEDY 18 YRS OF DISASTER.
Recruiting classes 2018-2021

Iowa St (55-50-48-60)
Oklahoma ST (34-41-37-34)
Cincy (49-64-41-51)
Utah (33-36-30-31)
Miami (8-17-11-11)

Record 2018-2021

Iowa ST (31-20)
OKSU (35-16)
Cincy (44-7)
Utah (33-14)
Miami (28-21)

We have recruited way better than all of these teams according to 247 but all of them have been better than us. That shows what u can do with the right coaches, culture and program. They recruit players that fit their systems and maximize their potential while we’re doing the opposite

I can see QB, Safety and TE having top 2 round picks.

That said, yeah there’s been a talent issue but also a development issue. Did we just recruit all of the wrong 4 stars?
Did we just recruit all of the wrong 4 stars?

I doubt that seriously...development issues all the way as it's highly unlikely we're that unlucky to pick THAT MANY 4 star duds.

Last edited:
Advertisement
You don’t think we’ve recruited high enough to have more than one player drafted? That’s coaching and development. We haven’t been recruiting like the big dogs but there’s a lot lower rated teams in recruiting rankings get more bang for the buck. Everyone likes to talk players but leave out the places with the best coaching, culture and development are winners. Give Manny a top five class yearly and he’d still drop 3-4 games.

We need more dudes and talent but this was way more than that.
Bro I been saying the coaches suck too. But no amount of coaching is gonna get mark pope and Corey Flagg to be ballers. Jags are jags no matter how hard you coach them.

Bro I been saying the coaches suck too. But no amount of coaching is gonna get mark pope and Corey Flagg to be ballers. Jags are jags no matter how hard you coach them.
You picked out one player but there’s a bunch of teams with far less talent getting guys drafted and developing players. We havent had Miami talent but we have enough to not have one guy drafted. Or losing to LT , Fiu, Fsu etc

Part of your job as a coach is talent evaluation, if they were good at that then flagg would’ve never been here

You picked out one player but there’s a bunch of teams with far less talent getting guys drafted and developing players. We havent had Miami talent but we have enough to not have one guy drafted. Or losing to LT , Fiu, Fsu etc
Fam you need to read some of the other post I made about how horrible our staff has been at developing talent. But with the eval part comes us getting better players. Just because a player is ranked high doesn’t means he is good.

Advertisement
Fam you need to read some of the other post I made about how horrible our staff has been at developing talent. But with the eval part comes us getting better players. Just because a player is ranked high doesn’t means he is good.
How come it was all our four stars not “being good“? It’s almost like there’s a connection.

How come it was all our four stars not “being good“? It’s almost like there’s a connection.
just to recap I’m saying we need better players. And you are saying our players are good enough it’s the coaching that has failed them. Which by the way I agree with.But since since you brought up the FIU game, let me ask you this, if TVD and Rambo are playing in that game instead of Jarren Williams and Dee Wiggins do we lose?

just to recap I’m saying we need better players. And you are saying our players are good enough it’s the coaching that has failed them. Which by the way I agree with.But since since you brought up the FIU game, let me ask you this, if TVD and Rambo are playing in that game instead of Jarren Williams and Dee Wiggins do we lose?

Is Enos our OC and Stubbleboy our WR coach? If so, then yes.

Is Enos our OC and Stubbleboy our WR coach? If so, then yes.
I disagree, What killed us thta game was Jarren Williams only reading one side of the field and our Recievers not being able to get out of press coverage. I am not saying Enos was good he is trash, but TVD is a way better quarterback than Jarren Williams.

Advertisement
I disagree, What killed us thta game was Jarren Williams only reading one side of the field and our Recievers not being able to get out of press coverage. I am not saying Enos was good he is trash, but TVD is a way better quarterback than Jarren Williams.

Understood
I dont want to think about it. Thankfully we will never know

One prime reason many of the top recruits went to Bama or places without Miami's clubbing and nightlife and distractions, was the bag$... while loving money as much as football may not be a "wonderful" attribute, loving football MORE than partying surely helps get ya to be an early draft pick... of course with the requisite talent AND coaching (development)...

...and commitment...

...now that we are in the RUIZ-NIL era, AND have better coaching and staff and other helpful resources (to sniff out those who play for play over play for party) here's hoping things will change immensely... In both wins and draft picks. It should.

Advertisement
Recruiting classes 2018-2021

Iowa St (55-50-48-60)
Oklahoma ST (34-41-37-34)
Cincy (49-64-41-51)
Utah (33-36-30-31)
Miami (8-17-11-11)

Record 2018-2021

Iowa ST (31-20)
OKSU (35-16)
Cincy (44-7)
Utah (33-14)
Miami (28-21)

We have recruited way better than all of these teams according to 247 but all of them have been better than us. That shows what u can do with the right coaches, culture and program. They recruit players that fit their systems and maximize their potential while we’re doing the opposite
Correct.

So this means one of two things: either ALL the kids we recruit are "over-rated", or....we needed a complete AD overhaul, which we received.

A Cristobal led team with those recruiting rankings would not have had the record we had during the 2018-2021 stretch. He started slow at FIU and then got smoking hot (Chill Confidence1000 lol) his last 2 years or so and earned the Oregon job. Then he did the same thing at Oregon, started slow until he could get some of his players in, and then it took off.

We will see what happens when you combine annual Top 10ish classes with a School/AD fully supporting the football program.

Correct.

So this means one of two things: either ALL the kids we recruit are "over-rated", or....we needed a complete AD overhaul, which we received.

A Cristobal led team with those recruiting rankings would not have had the record we had during the 2018-2021 stretch. He started slow at FIU and then got smoking hot (Chill Confidence1000 lol) his last 2 years or so and earned the Oregon job. Then he did the same thing at Oregon, started slow until he could get some of his players in, and then it took off.

We will see what happens when you combine annual Top 10ish classes with a School/AD fully supporting the football program.
Some kids are bad evaluations and some just dont pan out, that always gonna happen even when we recruit better but they guys that were supposed to be hits didn’t get developed correctly, thats the biggest issue. And you have to recruit what fits your team. If you’re gonna be a press man team you recruit players that have traits you can develop whether its the top recruit or not. Don’t recruit a small and/or slow LB if you’re gonna run a 4-2-5 lol if you’re gonna be a spread/air raid offense team why would u take big slow WRs and pass on the smaller quick guys

I don't want to put words in his mouth but I think he said they're good enough to beat the likes of FIU, LT and FSU as well as winning the juggernaut Coastal more than once in 18 years. Nobody believes we've been good enough for Bama or Clemson.

Also, Jarren Williams and Dee Wiggins were not the reason we lost to FIU. Christ, we lost to FSU last year, after losing to Jacksonville State they've sunk to the level of FIU.

burns was referred to show that he was drafted high because of talent/development, which i argue is false. he was drafted high because of measureables. he was a bust, a total bust. i'm a steelers fan and followed him in detail and saw him get burned for a dozen touchdowns in his years at pittsburgh.

Advertisement
Back