Difference Makers

Staff in question is gone. Players in question are gone. You’ve teased 90% of it.

Might as well finish the story for us now ..
The first part is obvious. The second one isn’t for this forum. I like the people on this board. They deserve to know why we sucked last year. It’s pretty obvious once the younger players started playing, we win games against ranked teams. That wasn’t a coincidence.

Advertisement
So that's on Manny for letting all that take place??? I mean that does kinda fall under development... He gave his approval for all things happening... Wouldn't a different Coach have put a stop to it from the get go?? I mean I'm not saying you're wrong about the issues but it does still fall on the Coach who's supposed to be in charge...
You’re 100% correct on that front. His kids, defense, recruits and culture. 100% on him. However, you can’t fix stupid. He was as much to blame as them. They needed leadership and he not only failed them, but he put them in charge.

You’re 100% correct on that front. His kids, defense, recruits and culture. 100% on him. However, you can’t fix stupid. He was as much to blame as them. They needed leadership and he not only failed them, but he put them in charge.
I agree ... and the worst thing you can do is enable stupid.... That's when things run roughshod over everything else....
In the end I'm glad it's done and over with... Hopefully Mario gets everything back on track... It can be fixed...

Artie Burns was a first round pick.
Rayshawn Jenkins, four-year, $35 million deal with $16 million in guarantees, is starting in the NFL.
Sheldrick Redwine plays for the Browns.
Don't you think you've missed the point? We've had a few really good players, but it's been a long time since we've had several at a time let alone a team full of them.

Also, by the time you got to the third guy all you could say is "plays for the Browns", which isn't saying much.

Don't you think you've missed the point? We've had a few really good players, but it's been a long time since we've had several at a time let alone a team full of them.

Also, by the time you got to the third guy all you could say is "plays for the Browns", which isn't saying much.
OP posted the Canes has have no one in 10 years. Not true, we have. I agree though, not as many as we’re used to 20 years ago.

Advertisement
OP posted the Canes has have no one in 10 years. Not true, we have. I agree though, not as many as we’re used to 20 years ago.
The OP was about difference-makers, and I don't think those guys were. Part of the problem is that for years now, simply not sh*tting your pants has made you a decent-looking player for us. The bar is low enough that being decent gets you into the conversation about best players.

The OP was about difference-makers, and I don't think those guys were. Part of the problem is that for years now, simply not sh*tting your pants has made you a decent-looking player for us. The bar is low enough that being decent gets you into the conversation about best players.
My point is we’ve had players, although not as many, but also poor coaching. Jenkins is good enough to get paid nearly $9-10M/yr in the NFL. He would have been a college star at other programs with quality coaching.

FALSE: We have had NO SECONDARY player worth a big god**** in 10 years.

Advertisement
You don’t think we’ve recruited high enough to have more than one player drafted? That’s coaching and development. We haven’t been recruiting like the big dogs but there’s a lot lower rated teams in recruiting rankings get more bang for the buck. Everyone likes to talk players but leave out the places with the best coaching, culture and development are winners. Give Manny a top five class yearly and he’d still drop 3-4 games.

We need more dudes and talent but this was way more than that.

As I pointed out; since 2007, we’ve been ranked either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd in terms of ACC recruiting, with the other 2 of 3 teams coming from the ACC Atlantic. I believe we were out recruited twice since we’ve joined the ACC by another Coastal team which was UNC. We’ve typically ranked in the top 15 out of 127 FBS schools in recruiting. Every blue moon, we’ll rank outside the top 20, & that was mostly due to coaching changes.

The point I’ve made is this; we know recruiting services r not the end all, BUT we also know they r pretty accurate just based upon who the contending teams usually r based upon the amount of blue chips on their roster per such services. So the ? is, how is it possible that these recruiting services r ‘normally’ right about the blue chips that go to the OSUs, Bamas, UGAs, Clemsons, OUs, etc. of the world, yet somehow r almost, always incorrect w/ guys who come here?

Do we need more dudes to compete w/ those aforementioned teams? Yes, no doubt. We saw the talent discrepancy against Bama last yr, not just the coaching, but pure speed & tackling. However w/ that being said, we’ve also had way more than enough to beat the UVAs, FIUs, VAgTechs, Pitt, UNCs, etc of the world.

Clearly our issues have stemmed from an infrastructure standpoint, meaning coaching, culture, athletic dept. While we praise Miami for having two first round draft picks in 2021, that’s far in between.
- UGA just had 15 players drafted in one draft.
- Bama just set the record for most players drafted from a roster (breaking the tie w/ our ‘01 team).
- Cincy just had 9 players drafted in a single draft.

Patting ourselves on the back for Phillips & Rousseau is nice, but the dark side to that 2021 draft class is we only had 4 players taken, total, w/ the next pick coming in round 5. The domino effect that’s transpired here is the dudes we needed to come, didn’t b/c no one is coming to a school to get drafted in the 5th round+. So when they see allllllll of these Top247 players coming to Miami & not being coached up to make that bag at the next level, they r going to take their talents elsewhere.

That’s y Diaz & his predecessors had to go. Let the draft of 2022 be a reminder to ANYONE IN THE SHADOWS STILL THINKING DIAZ GOT A RAW DEAL come to their senses as to y a wholesale change needed to happen. But, again, PLEASE LET THE 2022 DRAFT REMIND U TO GIVE MARIO AT LEAST TWO YRS TO REMEDY 18 YRS OF DISASTER.

Last edited:
Again, indictments on the former staphs. It’s not like there’s no talent in UM’s backyard. Got a couple on the team, now, though. Game changers.

Advertisement
This is stupid. We are arguing against evidence. Couple really good players vs. pretty decent players. Give me 3 scary players in the last
10 years.
Richards
Jeff Thomas
Gerald Willis
Rousseau
Jaelan Phillips

I definitely don't disagree with you, but I just wanted to see if I could come up with guys who probably scared the opponent. Some of these guys didn't work out due to non-football related reasons.

It’s almost like recruiting and stars and composite scores matter in this sport. Odd. This site told me that’s not true, after all, Ed rEEd WuZ A TWo-StaR. I’ll have to go back and check my formula.
They also underrate our players, because they can't have Florida kids making up 99% of the top 100. So the Florida 3 stars are actually 5 stars, but underrated since they committed to us.

Advertisement
How many draft eligible guys were actually guys that we recruited? Ford, Harley, Donaldson, Harris?

Ironically the lowest rated recruit of them all was the only one drafted.

We had talent that should’ve been developed into good college players and draft picks but i dont think it was anywhere near what our standard should be.

Our only pick being in the 7th round is embarrassing. We have to evaluate and recruit better players.

You were doing really well and making a lot of sense there up until this comment right here. If you have to say maybe for TVD going first round then you should just quit watching football altogether.
TVD is absolutely a question mark still. He needs to improve his pocket presence and not bail on plays so early.

He has elite traits, but hard to say sure 1st rounder with such few starts.

TVD is absolutely a question mark still. He needs to improve his pocket presence and not bail on plays so early.

He has elite traits, but hard to say sure 1st rounder with such few starts.
He was arguably one of the best QBs in the entire nation the last six games of the year What are you talking about. It was his first year starting. Please stop it already and go watch football and learn. When Mario got here he said one of the biggest reasons he came here was because of TVD. He’s watched his film I’m sure a bunch of times so he knew what he was getting. He’s been the talk of practices in spring on just how much better he’s gotten.

Advertisement
Back