Difference makers for 2024?

I think after having several offseason in a college S&C program and finally getting adjusted to the college game, I think he’s finally going to hit his stride and expect a huge breakout year from Cam McCormick
Not until he has a 10th year secured.

Advertisement
Can't believe no one has mentioned the only difference maker that matters...

OLD MAN CAM MCCORMICK
Ahem GIF by South Park

👇🏼

Post in thread 'Difference makers for 2024?'
https://www.canesinsight.com/threads/difference-makers-for-2024.190062/post-7066886

When attempting to realistically gage where we are truly at as a team in a national level, without the glasses on, here’s my simple little process.

A) How many day 1-2 NFL prospects on the squad?

B) How many pre-season All- American/ All- conference type players?

C) Quality of Transfers? Example: Ward (94)

D) ESPN/ 24-7 evaluations to blend in the possible impact of freshman and non experienced players

As of right now here’s an assessment as far as difference makers:

OFFENSE -
ready to plug n play: Ward, Restrepo, George. Rivers. FM

Names expected to be added to that list this year: Fletcher, Cooper.

Hopeful: one of the young WR , Pancake, one of the other RB . Carpenter

DEFENSE -
Plug n play Bain, Meisdor, Kiko, Porter

Expected: Damari Brown, Powell , WB.

Hopeful: JHH, CJ! Clark, Scott, one of the other transfers. One of the young linebackers.

Would love to add a high quality ‘difference maker’ WR and DB through Portal.

Feel free to critique

Go Canes

Who was Louisville difference makers? The point is we don't need a lot of them to win 10 games.

Cam, Restrepo,Bain, and more will pop up

When attempting to realistically gage where we are truly at as a team in a national level, without the glasses on, here’s my simple little process.

A) How many day 1-2 NFL prospects on the squad?

B) How many pre-season All- American/ All- conference type players?

C) Quality of Transfers? Example: Ward (94)

D) ESPN/ 24-7 evaluations to blend in the possible impact of freshman and non experienced players

As of right now here’s an assessment as far as difference makers:

OFFENSE -
ready to plug n play: Ward, Restrepo, George. Rivers. FM

Names expected to be added to that list this year: Fletcher, Cooper.

Hopeful: one of the young WR , Pancake, one of the other RB . Carpenter

DEFENSE -
Plug n play Bain, Meisdor, Kiko, Porter

Expected: Damari Brown, Powell , WB.

Hopeful: JHH, CJ! Clark, Scott, one of the other transfers. One of the young linebackers.

Would love to add a high quality ‘difference maker’ WR and DB through Portal.

Feel free to critique

Go Canes
No critique, however I'm not sure if you used your own criteria to grade? The only area on the roster where I see an obvious improvement is QB.

Advertisement
I was just thinking this same thing. What makes this team better than last years team? Ward I think will be an upgrade over TVD, but I’m failing to see where else we’ve improved

The same thing that made this season's team better than the previous year. More talent.

We are bringing in another talented class and our team "should" be better on paper in 2024.

We don't know yet how good any of these players are going to be when the lights are on, but of course you're failing to see where we've improved LOL The games haven't been played yet

No critique, however I'm not sure if you used your own criteria to grade? The only area on the roster where I see an obvious improvement is QB.
Wrote this prematurely really. Ward and Bain is more accurate after understanding OP criteria.

I would however like to get a better idea of how may Wards and Bains the do the Elite teams usually have?
A) in general and
B) this year speifically.

Is it around 4 on each side and total of 6-10

Or just like 3-4 guys collectively?

Asking because I respect your perspective.

Advertisement
Wrote this prematurely really. Ward and Bain is more accurate after understanding OP criteria.

I would however like to get a better idea of how may Wards and Bains the do the Elite teams usually have?
A) in general and
B) this year speifically.

Is it around 4 on each side and total of 6-10

Or just like 3-4 guys collectively?

Asking because I respect your perspective.
I think you can separate college teams into talent tiers. @Rellyrell did a good breakdown of past champions and roster composition. I don't think we are aiming for the playoffs this season but I'll give my thoughts.

TIER A: 6-10 players that will be drafted in first 3 rounds (fresh-senior)
Ala
UGA
OSU

TIER B: 3-6 players that will be drafted in first 3 rounds
ORE
TEX

TIER C: Occasional 1-3 players drafted in first 3 rounds
Most other schools

He certainly has not earned anything yet but I think people are really sleeping on Nyj Kelly. Assuming he gets healthy I think he could be in for a breakout year. Especially if Bain sees a large number of snaps at DT.

Advertisement
Who was Louisville difference makers? The point is we don't need a lot of them to win 10 games.

Cam, Restrepo,Bain, and more will pop up
I think they are 2 different scenarios. Louisville difference maker is their head coach. Which is why he won immediately. Mario is going to need actual difference makers which with him being a recruiter he should be able to get.

We don’t need difference makers because we finally got rid of the bad culture guys, other than a few guys but probably not a big deal

I think you can separate college teams into talent tiers. @Rellyrell did a good breakdown of past champions and roster composition. I don't think we are aiming for the playoffs this season but I'll give my thoughts.

TIER A: 6-10 players that will be drafted in first 3 rounds (fresh-senior)
Ala
UGA
OSU

TIER B: 3-6 players that will be drafted in first 3 rounds
ORE
TEX

TIER C: Occasional 1-3 players drafted in first 3 rounds
Most other schools
Rellyrell is usually on point 💯. Thanks broski 🙏

Advertisement
We have a really solid team. I'm more optimistic than many, but I try to be realistic while still being a fan. From my perspective, we should be steamrolling average and weak teams where individual heroism isn't going to change the outcome of the game. But against top teams, or on those off days when the team is sleepwalking, you need disruptive players to win.

Who are those players in 2024? Right now, I've only got 2: Ward and Bain.

Is that too harsh? Do you believe that Mesidor, George, Restrepo, Kiko, Arroyo, JHH, etc. can be counted to step up and deliver game-changing plays against UF, FSU, UL, and Clemson in the ACCCG?
The first 4 you mentioned have obviously showed they can do that. Mesidor when not injured though. Kelly also is pretty good when not injured.

Development this off-season will be very instrumental to the team’s success.

Seems silly to say, but for all the talk of what they like in certain rooms, well it’s going to have to show up in a big way on game days.

I’d put in Porter Jr, Restrepo, Alston, Kiko in that maybe category. I’m just really high on Alston’s potential as a pass-rusher, wouldn’t surprise me if he had more success than Mesidor. Restrepo has a ceiling but for a slot guy, he’s top tier in the ACC and maybe the country. No small feat reaching 1k yards in a season.

I’d personally add Rivers to game-changer as he was rock solid on the OL last year and provides immeasurable experience on top of that. Lasty (and he’s borderline in this regard), Borregales is pretty close to reliable. 4/5 from FGs of 40-49, 4/6 from 50+ in 2023, has missed only 1 XP in his career here. Not too shabby, not quite a game-changer but certainly ability to get there as a top kicker. He’s definitely got the leg for it.
I would agree that Andy is pretty tough as a kicker. He’s money more times den not

Do you EVER consider anything positive or at least not negative? I spoke of expectations (fans' expectations to be specific, although that was to be inferred by the reader) and you turned it into a "if you or anyone else watched the games" you'd know that cway is right and you all are peasants who know nothing about football because it's Corch Mario's fault for all losses. TVD was a game-changer last year...just not in a good way. That's Mario's fault too, right?

Specific to your points, had we taken a knee, we win the 8-9 games you spoke of (8, not 9 but it still qualifies). I agree that we play in the Charmin Conference. I agree that we don't need Alabama/UGa/O$U etc talent to win 9-10 games in the Coastal Charmin, yet at the same time I also understand that when we don't have elite talent, my expectations need to be in line with other teams lacking elite talent. Those are the teams that lose 3+ games a year. I believe more than half our losses were to teams with more talent than us - UNC (Drake Maye elite), FSpoo (Verse, Jordan Travis, Keon Coleman and the other tall WR), Louisville (Thrash) and Rutgers (don't laugh, they suck but we played all backups). My expectations typically are directly related to how happy/unhappy I am. I am not a slurper nor a mope. I am generally fair. That said, I would rather be called a slurper than a mope.

I'm slightly disappointed in myself for even engaging with you, but I'm caught up at work and have a few minutes to kill before lunch..

Have a nice weekend.

Mopes use ED pills just to feel something bc not even that works anymore they are so soft

Advertisement
Back