Difference makers for 2024?

Cool

Still not a game changer, maybe yall got different definitions. My definition of a game changer is their lack of a guy who didn’t get them a touchdown there or even a closer fg OR our game changer or difference makers stopped them from getting any closer for the kick

Either way if u wanna count kickers or not, if we name two players and then go straight to kicker as GAME CHANGERS…Thats a problem, nobody ever mentions our kickers from our glory days we talk about playmaka, JB, Tana ,hester, Dre, Portis, Reed, ST etc etc those are mf game changers
A stone cold kicker with a powerful leg is an absolute game changer. It changes how you and your opponent play the game. It dictates your offense, defense, aggressive play-calling all because you don’t have a reliable kicker or one you can trust to hit a game winner over 50.

My senior year of high school we had a head case soccer player for a kicker. He could kick the ball into the back of the end zone for a touchback any time. But he had nerves of sh•t. We lost 3 of the first 5 games by a total of 7 points. He missed FGs 5 times in 3 games. Not only missing tying but game winning attempts. We ended up changing our approach and only attempting gimme attempts towards the beginning of the game. He was so mentally shook we didn’t even attempt FGs the 2nd half of the year. We went 3-2 the last 5 but still didn’t make the playoffs because our physc patient for a kicker was lost in his own head.

A great kicker is an absolute game changer. It means guaranteed points when you get to the opponents 35. And you give yourself an opportunity to tie or win a game by getting to your opponents 45 with a minute in the game and no timeouts with a legit QB.

Advertisement
A stone cold kicker with a powerful leg is an absolute game changer. It changes how you and your opponent play the game. It dictates your offense, defense, aggressive play-calling all because you don’t have a reliable kicker or one you can trust to hit a game winner over 50.

My senior year of high school we had a head case soccer player for a kicker. He could kick the ball into the back of the end zone for a touchback any time. But he had nerves of sh•t. We lost 3 of the first 5 games by a total of 7 points. He missed FGs 5 times in 3 games. Not only missing tying but game winning attempts. We ended up changing our approach and only attempting gimme attempts towards the beginning of the game. He was so mentally shook we didn’t even attempt FGs the 2nd half of the year. We went 3-2 the last 5 but still didn’t make the playoffs because our physc patient for a kicker was lost in his own head.

A great kicker is an absolute game changer. It means guaranteed points when you get to the opponents 35. And you give yourself an opportunity to tie or win a game by getting to your opponents 45 with a minute in the game and no timeouts with a legit QB.
Disagree. It’s important and can be a difference maker but with game changers on my team I don’t plan on needing kickers to take and make long range kicks.

Literally no great cfb team is a kicker remembered lol unless its by a die hard fan. They’re important but my definition of game changer is just different i guess

Legit game changers on our roster? Well do any Olineman actually count or can Oline be judged as a whole as a game changer? Cause I absolution OL will be a strength this yr and basically all seasons going forward. Now individual lineman can have that massive impact like if you look at how 49ers and Lions use Trent Williams and Peneii Sewell… but for this purpose I would say OLine should probably be left out. That means you got 19 starters without OL + K/P.

Our DEFINITE game changers are QB, K, and EDGE in Ward, Borregales, and Bain imo. This to me is without debate. The good news is 2 of them are at THE 2 most important positions on the team.

Next up would be Restrepo for sure. He’s absolutely a dude that wins games by being a 1st down merchant. Guys like him are extremely valuable, even if he’s not going to be some super high draft pick. His actual production is far higher than perceived value. And it is consistent and reliable. And this is a good thing as well given WR is probably 4th most important position (DT 3rd). Now George Was actually our best WR, and he could more fit the any given day could be that “game changer” where he just goes off. We saw that last year he had some pretty monster games. But imo I’d say Restrepo affects more games and is way more trustworthy in the ‘got to have it’ situations.

After that I’d say it’s a lot of guys with potential but not fully proven. Mesidor and Alston absolutely could be especially considering Bain is on the other side. At LB I actually thing we have a lot of talent that could be, the most obvious being Kiko. But I wouldn’t be surprised to see a young Lb step up and just be a major difference maker for us. Especially when compared to last season, the step up in performance + production could be massive.

DB I don’t think we really have a difference maker. TBD if any of them will be turnover creators for us.

Rb is probably the easiest position in the world for a game changer to step up out of nowhere. For instance if Chris Johnson developed and because a little Jahmyr Gibbs/Alvin Kamara lightning to Mark Fletchers thunder that could have massive impact.

A lot of the DLine particularly DT guys I’d say have potential to be game changers…just probably not this year.
While it's true I have disagreed with you before, this post is you at your best. I also agree 100% with your assessment.

I would have thrown in Fletcher pre-injury especially 2nd year behind our Oline.
I agree with you. Regarding Fletcher, was his injury considered to be serious in terms of having the potential to adversely affect his ability? I was under the impression that it was a clean break to a bone in the foot or ankle. I sincerely hope that Fletcher is able to come back at 100% as you would be correct that a 2nd year Fletch behind our OL could easily be a difference maker.

To add to your list I think that Jacolby George should be considered for that list. His development this past season was a great thing to see and we shouldn't discount the possiblity that he makes another developmental jump next season as it will be his senior/money year and he will have a better QB to get him the ball. I am keenly aware that his maturity or lack thereof must also be factored into any type of projection of his potential production next season but even accounting for that his name should be mentioned as a possible difference maker.

Your list identifies known commodities such as Bain, Ward, Kiko, X and Francis Mauigoa. However one of the most exciting things about this level of football is the dynamic nature of player development. In other words, we just don't know who is going to just explode from one year to the next. We don't know which one of the true freshman last year who played sparingly or did not play at all will suddenly burst unto the scene. It's quite possible that a Damari Brown, Robert Stafford, Raul Aguirre, Bobby Washington or Ray Ray Joseph could blossom into an explosive and dominant player. Could be it's someone who is coming off of injury like Elijah Arroyo or Tre'Vonte Citizen(Gasp). Maybe Chris Johnson emerges. Maybe there is a true freshman who explodes onto the scene. The great thing about stacking talent like Cristobal has done is that you have so many talented kids that any number of them could see the lightbulb click at any given moment. Can't wait for Spring practice to get a little peek at who's separating themselves. Go Canes!

Advertisement
I agree with you. Regarding Fletcher, was his injury considered to be serious in terms of having the potential to adversely affect his ability? I was under the impression that it was a clean break to a bone in the foot or ankle. I sincerely hope that Fletcher is able to come back at 100% as you would be correct that a 2nd year Fletch behind our OL could easily be a difference maker.

To add to your list I think that Jacolby George should be considered for that list. His development this past season was a great thing to see and we shouldn't discount the possiblity that he makes another developmental jump next season as it will be his senior/money year and he will have a better QB to get him the ball. I am keenly aware that his maturity or lack thereof must also be factored into any type of projection of his potential production next season but even accounting for that his name should be mentioned as a possible difference maker.

Your list identifies known commodities such as Bain, Ward, Kiko, X and Francis Mauigoa. However one of the most exciting things about this level of football is the dynamic nature of player development. In other words, we just don't know who is going to just explode from one year to the next. We don't know which one of the true freshman last year who played sparingly or did not play at all will suddenly burst unto the scene. It's quite possible that a Damari Brown, Robert Stafford, Raul Aguirre, Bobby Washington or Ray Ray Joseph could blossom into an explosive and dominant player. Could be it's someone who is coming off of injury like Elijah Arroyo or Tre'Vonte Citizen(Gasp). Maybe Chris Johnson emerges. Maybe there is a true freshman who explodes onto the scene. The great thing about stacking talent like Cristobal has done is that you have so many talented kids that any number of them could see the lightbulb click at any given moment. Can't wait for Spring practice to get a little peek at who's separating themselves. Go Canes!
I’m completely on board with George talent-wise. I was just really concerned with the arrest after he’s already had some maturity issues. He’s at a fork roads where he could spiral or re-focus completely and have a better year than X. That is how good I think he can be.

Especially excited about the young guys that could develop into game changers. My biggest guess from the true Freshmen or either Lyle, Carr, Trader or Patterson.

Disagree. It’s important and can be a difference maker but with game changers on my team I don’t plan on needing kickers to take and make long range kicks.

Literally no great cfb team is a kicker remembered lol unless its by a die hard fan. They’re important but my definition of game changer is just different i guess
Every team this year had at least one game where a FG won it/could have won it or tied it/ or forced the team to go for it or punt when they could have added points. CFB has changed and there is more parody now like the NFL. The NFL a rock solid kicker is absolutely a must. Even Michigan had 3 FGs in their 6 point win over OSU. Including 2 in the 4th. The last one making it a 6 point game where OSU had to go for a TD versus a FG to put it into overtime.

Every team this year had at least one game where a FG won it/could have won it or tied it/ or forced the team to go for it or punt when they could have added points. CFB has changed and there is more parody now like the NFL. The NFL a rock solid kicker is absolutely a must. Even Michigan had 3 FGs in their 6 point win over OSU. Including 2 in the 4th. The last one making it a 6 point game where OSU had to go for a TD versus a FG to put it into overtime.
Kickers are important

Advertisement
It's been a long long time since we've had a QB that was an actual, legitimate threat. Someone that could change the entire game in our favor.
Given that that's the most important position on the field, and it's even more so in the college game, I really like our chances next season. On paper I think we're the best team in the ACC.

If we can limit mistakes like dumb penalties, turnovers and brainless coaching blunders (take a knee coach), 2024 could be a really fun year.
C'mon man.

I’m completely on board with George talent-wise. I was just really concerned with the arrest after he’s already had some maturity issues. He’s at a fork roads where he could spiral or re-focus completely and have a better year than X. That is how good I think he can be.

Especially excited about the young guys that could develop into game changers. My biggest guess from the true Freshmen or either Lyle, Carr, Trader or Patterson.
Agree about George and the arrest in light of his track record of maturity issues. It’s a valid and serious concern. The flip side being that he can be an electrifying playmaker. We saw it vs ATM but the thing about George’s performance vs ATM that stands out to me is the fact that he had a terrible lapse in judgement on the muffed punt that led to an ATM TD early in the game. It’s very telling that he didn’t let that get in his head and that he followed that mistake up by scoring 3 TDs. His last one being the game clinching catch and run late in the 4th quarter. Also, his play vs Clem’s son on the 80 yard run by Brashard Smith where he stayed with the play and kept trailing Brashard all the way to the end zone where he was in perfect position to recover Brashard’s fumble in the end zone for a TD.

I bring these examples up because usually when you have a player with maturity issues, they tend to get labeled as lazy, entitled primmadonas. The positive being that lazy entitled primmadonas don’t don’t react to adversity like George did vs ATM and generally don’t exhibit the type of heads up type of hustle we saw from George on the 80 yard run by Smith vs Clemson. This and the type of penalties he received tell me that his problems stem much more from a lack of discipline in controlling his emotions which come from his competitive nature than from a locker room cancer type who is all about himself. This type of player can be worked with. The arrest in Volusia County is a bad look but is more of a bad judgement call by a young kid as opposed to evidence of ongoing criminal behavior.

Advertisement
Back