Difference makers for 2024?

Advertisement
ESPN listed top 100 players from 2023. We had 1 player listed. That was not an accident. We added Ward who was also on that list.
Assuming what you're saying is true, why would anyone have realistically expected more than 8 or 9 wins last year? We would have achieved that goal if....yeah, I don't want to go there. Instead I'll ask, "Who is Corch Mario's favorite Harlem Globetrotter?"

Curly KNEEL

Assuming what you're saying is true, why would anyone have realistically expected more than 8 or 9 wins last year? We would have achieved that goal if....yeah, I don't want to go there. Instead I'll ask, "Who is Corch Mario's favorite Harlem Globetrotter?"

Curly KNEEL
We didn't lose games because of talent deficiencies or lack of game changers. If you or anyone else watched the games then you saw us lose multiple games due to corching and poor decision making. We didn't need to be BAMA to win 8-9 games last year just like we won't need to be BAMA to win 9-10 games this year. To be fair we play in the absolute worst P4/P5 conference.

George is a game changer against top talent.. he just needs to get his head on straight and be consistent.
'just' doing a lot of heavy lifting there but yeah lol. His last 2 games and the arrest were the biggest face palms possible... But this is his money year. He cuts it out he will get drafted with Cam tossing him the ball. He keeps his antics up, I don't think he has a shot at getting drafted, and if he makes a team won't stick around for long

We didn't lose games because of talent deficiencies or lack of game changers. If you or anyone else watched the games then you saw us lose multiple games due to corching and poor decision making. We didn't need to be BAMA to win 8-9 games last year just like we won't need to be BAMA to win 9-10 games this year. To be fair we play in the absolute worst P4/P5 conference.
Do you EVER consider anything positive or at least not negative? I spoke of expectations (fans' expectations to be specific, although that was to be inferred by the reader) and you turned it into a "if you or anyone else watched the games" you'd know that cway is right and you all are peasants who know nothing about football because it's Corch Mario's fault for all losses. TVD was a game-changer last year...just not in a good way. That's Mario's fault too, right?

Specific to your points, had we taken a knee, we win the 8-9 games you spoke of (8, not 9 but it still qualifies). I agree that we play in the Charmin Conference. I agree that we don't need Alabama/UGa/O$U etc talent to win 9-10 games in the Coastal Charmin, yet at the same time I also understand that when we don't have elite talent, my expectations need to be in line with other teams lacking elite talent. Those are the teams that lose 3+ games a year. I believe more than half our losses were to teams with more talent than us - UNC (Drake Maye elite), FSpoo (Verse, Jordan Travis, Keon Coleman and the other tall WR), Louisville (Thrash) and Rutgers (don't laugh, they suck but we played all backups). My expectations typically are directly related to how happy/unhappy I am. I am not a slurper nor a mope. I am generally fair. That said, I would rather be called a slurper than a mope.

I'm slightly disappointed in myself for even engaging with you, but I'm caught up at work and have a few minutes to kill before lunch..

Have a nice weekend.

Advertisement
Do you EVER consider anything positive or at least not negative? I spoke of expectations (fans' expectations to be specific, although that was to be inferred by the reader) and you turned it into a "if you or anyone else watched the games" you'd know that cway is right and you all are peasants who know nothing about football because it's Corch Mario's fault for all losses. TVD was a game-changer last year...just not in a good way. That's Mario's fault too, right?

Specific to your points, had we taken a knee, we win the 8-9 games you spoke of (8, not 9 but it still qualifies). I agree that we play in the Charmin Conference. I agree that we don't need Alabama/UGa/O$U etc talent to win 9-10 games in the Coastal Charmin, yet at the same time I also understand that when we don't have elite talent, my expectations need to be in line with other teams lacking elite talent. Those are the teams that lose 3+ games a year. I believe more than half our losses were to teams with more talent than us - UNC (Drake Maye elite), FSpoo (Verse, Jordan Travis, Keon Coleman and the other tall WR), Louisville (Thrash) and Rutgers (don't laugh, they suck but we played all backups). My expectations typically are directly related to how happy/unhappy I am. I am not a slurper nor a mope. I am generally fair. That said, I would rather be called a slurper than a mope.

I'm slightly disappointed in myself for even engaging with you, but I'm caught up at work and have a few minutes to kill before lunch..

Have a nice weekend.
Take care.

Advertisement
Legit game changers on our roster? Well do any Olineman actually count or can Oline be judged as a whole as a game changer? Cause I absolution OL will be a strength this yr and basically all seasons going forward. Now individual lineman can have that massive impact like if you look at how 49ers and Lions use Trent Williams and Peneii Sewell… but for this purpose I would say OLine should probably be left out. That means you got 19 starters without OL + K/P.

Our DEFINITE game changers are QB, K, and EDGE in Ward, Borregales, and Bain imo. This to me is without debate. The good news is 2 of them are at THE 2 most important positions on the team.

Next up would be Restrepo for sure. He’s absolutely a dude that wins games by being a 1st down merchant. Guys like him are extremely valuable, even if he’s not going to be some super high draft pick. His actual production is far higher than perceived value. And it is consistent and reliable. And this is a good thing as well given WR is probably 4th most important position (DT 3rd). Now George Was actually our best WR, and he could more fit the any given day could be that “game changer” where he just goes off. We saw that last year he had some pretty monster games. But imo I’d say Restrepo affects more games and is way more trustworthy in the ‘got to have it’ situations.

After that I’d say it’s a lot of guys with potential but not fully proven. Mesidor and Alston absolutely could be especially considering Bain is on the other side. At LB I actually thing we have a lot of talent that could be, the most obvious being Kiko. But I wouldn’t be surprised to see a young Lb step up and just be a major difference maker for us. Especially when compared to last season, the step up in performance + production could be massive.

DB I don’t think we really have a difference maker. TBD if any of them will be turnover creators for us.

Rb is probably the easiest position in the world for a game changer to step up out of nowhere. For instance if Chris Johnson developed and because a little Jahmyr Gibbs/Alvin Kamara lightning to Mark Fletchers thunder that could have massive impact.

A lot of the DLine particularly DT guys I’d say have potential to be game changers…just probably not this year.

Look at the past few NFL drafts or projected first rounders this year to see where your talent level is when it comes to difference makers.

Trevor Lawrence
Joe Burrow
Jamaar Chase
Justin Jefferson
Devonta Smith
Jaylen Waddle
Jerry Juedy
Marvin Harrison Jr.
Chris Olave
Garrett Wilson
Smith-Jigba
Brock Bowers
Caleb Williams
Drake Maye
Najee Harris
Bijon Robinson
Zay Flowers
C.J. Stroud

Do we have players you would put in this category yet? Even if they are not how many even top 100 picks players?

I agree Ward and Bain and Kiko, but Kiko probably a 4th round pick or so.

We have some OL that could be top 100 picks. Where is the top 3 round talents at RB and WR? CB's?
This is college! Not NFL, name me a bonafide difference maker for Michigan? I'll wait......jj, corum, that's all I got and that's coming from the champs! Uga- Bowers, beck ala-?, Texas-ewers,Baxter, wash- penix, 2wr,1rb

X is that dude. Watch him go for 1k in back-to-back seasons with Ward slinging the rock. He will absolutely give coordinators a lot to think about.

@calinative umstudent hit the nail on the head with kicker. Add Borregales to your list as well. He CAN and WILL be relied upon in crunch time. More importantly, he will deliver.

Add them to your list.

This is college! Not NFL, name me a bonafide difference maker for Michigan? I'll wait......jj, corum, that's all I got and that's coming from the champs! Uga- Bowers, beck ala-?, Texas-ewers,Baxter, wash- penix, 2wr,1rb
Will Johnson CB that should be a first round pick next season. Freak show

Kris Jenkins getting first round buzz at DT, 2nd rounder if not first

Mason Graham DT may be top returning DT in country next year. Projected top 15 first round pick.

Loveland TE projected to be best or among best TE in country. Preseason AA first team

Donovan Edwards projected top 60-100 pick next year at RB. Elite speed and explosiveness

Zak Zinter G that was first team all conference and all American.

They may have not been a flashy team, but they were loaded team

Advertisement
I'd be curious by this criteria how many "difference makers" each of our opponents have on their respective teams.

On our powder-puff schedule? Not many. Which to @cway313's point, means we should be winning 9-10 with 2 difference makers in 2024, given we have a relatively solid team all around. At the same time, unless more people step up, I think we're pretty much bookended by 9-10 wins. We likely don't get to the ACCCG and playoffs with only 2 difference makers. Someone(s) really needs to step up bigtime. Or we need more talent from the portal.

On our powder-puff schedule? Not many. Which to @cway313's point, means we should be winning 9-10 with 2 difference makers in 2024, given we have a relatively solid team all around. At the same time, unless more people step up, I think we're pretty much bookended by 9-10 wins. We likely don't get to the ACCCG and playoffs with only 2 difference makers. Someone(s) really needs to step up bigtime. Or we need more talent from the portal.
We need more high end talent from the portal. If we are bringing in more bargain players I'd rather see the freshmen earn their stripes. We have enough to win 9-10 games but that makes no sense when we went all out to land QB1. I'm confused on the goal for this season.

We need more high end talent from the portal. If we are bringing in more bargain players I'd rather see the freshmen earn their stripes. We have enough to win 9-10 games but that makes no sense when we went all out to land QB1. I'm confused on the goal for this season.

I agree. I feel like we're solid but lacking disruptors. Which is why I've been saying all along we need a WR1, CB1 and DT1 (now that Burroughs is confirmed gone). I doubt we can find even 1 elite guy much less 3 from the portal now, though. So I'm frustrated. I want to get to the playoffs this year. I was hoping some of our insiders were going to tell us in this thread they've seen some guys who they are confident will step up.

Still getting to 9-10 shows momentum which helps lock down another top class which edges us closer. It's agonizingly slow. But it's better than flatlining or backsliding.

Advertisement
I agree. I feel like we're solid but lacking disruptors. Which is why I've been saying all along we need a WR1, CB1 and DT1 (now that Burroughs is confirmed gone). I doubt we can find even 1 elite guy much less 3 from the portal now, though. So I'm frustrated. I want to get to the playoffs this year. I was hoping some of our insiders were going to tell us in this thread they've seen some guys who they are confident will step up.

Still getting to 9-10 shows momentum which helps lock down another top class which edges us closer. It's agonizingly slow. But it's better than flatlining or backsliding.
Signing Ward implies they want to make playoffs. The rest of signing imply we want to compete in the ACC. Burroughs had way to high expectations for what he has been. Spring will be interesting.

Have a nice weekend.
If you go by roster rankings, You’d be surprised that we beat the only 2 teams that on paper had more talent than us, Clemson and ATM. Everyone else was ranked lower with UNC being the closest one.

You are correct. Outside of Bain and Ward, no one is keeping opposing OCs or DCs up the night prior to the game. Doesn’t mean certain guys can’t step up at certain clutch times but this team lacks game changers across the board. Maybe adding competent QB play elevates some of the WRs but doesn’t change the traits of the guys we do have.
QB and DL being those two difference maker is all it takes to get very far if you don't shoot yourself in the foot as a coaching staff (and this includes failing to make easy adjustments in game), penalties, and turnovers are in your favor. Especially when most of the rest of the team (TE/DB needs work) is nice adjacent.

I do think Francis Mauigoa makes that jump and is that guy this year (like legit Top 5 OT in the nation jump, poised to be a Top 5 pick in the draft the next year).

QB and DL being those two difference maker is all it takes to get very far if you don't shoot yourself in the foot as a coaching staff (and this includes failing to make easy adjustments in game), penalties, and turnovers are in your favor. Especially when most of the rest of the team (TE/DB needs work) is nice adjacent.

I do think Francis Mauigoa makes that jump and is that guy this year (like legit Top 5 OT in the nation jump, poised to be a Top 5 pick in the draft the next year).
I’ll bite… Ward, X, Rivers, Francis, Bain, Alston, Kiko, DPorter, Powell, Borrelages

Advertisement
Back