Difference makers for 2024?

grover

Senior
Premium
We have a really solid team. I'm more optimistic than many, but I try to be realistic while still being a fan. From my perspective, we should be steamrolling average and weak teams where individual heroism isn't going to change the outcome of the game. But against top teams, or on those off days when the team is sleepwalking, you need disruptive players to win.

Who are those players in 2024? Right now, I've only got 2: Ward and Bain.

Is that too harsh? Do you believe that Mesidor, George, Restrepo, Kiko, Arroyo, JHH, etc. can be counted to step up and deliver game-changing plays against UF, FSU, UL, and Clemson in the ACCCG?

Advertisement
We have a really solid team. I'm more optimistic than many, but I try to be realistic while still being a fan. From my perspective, we should be steamrolling average and weak teams where individual heroism isn't going to change the outcome of the game. But against top teams, or on those off days when the team is sleepwalking, you need disruptive players to win.

Is that too harsh? Do you believe that Mesidor, George, Restrepo, Kiko, Arroyo, JHH, etc. can be counted to step up and deliver game-changing plays against UF, FSU, UL, and Clemson in the ACCCG?

You are correct. Outside of Bain and Ward, no one is keeping opposing OCs or DCs up the night prior to the game. Doesn’t mean certain guys can’t step up at certain clutch times but this team lacks game changers across the board. Maybe adding competent QB play elevates some of the WRs but doesn’t change the traits of the guys we do have.

I would put Porter Jr in that difference making category.

We can’t continue to rely solely on slot guys in the passing game. We’ve all beaten this like a dead horse, but Dawson has got to start utilizing these TE’s in the passing game. You’re handicapping your offense severely when defenses only have to worry about a blocking TE. Is Arroyo ready to step up and be that guy, finally? Also, we need a big, physical threat on the outside so opposing defenses can’t focus only on the middle of the field. Do we go into the portal to find that guy, or is he already on the team?(Horton).

Advertisement
Development this off-season will be very instrumental to the team’s success.

Seems silly to say, but for all the talk of what they like in certain rooms, well it’s going to have to show up in a big way on game days.

I’d put in Porter Jr, Restrepo, Alston, Kiko in that maybe category. I’m just really high on Alston’s potential as a pass-rusher, wouldn’t surprise me if he had more success than Mesidor. Restrepo has a ceiling but for a slot guy, he’s top tier in the ACC and maybe the country. No small feat reaching 1k yards in a season.

I’d personally add Rivers to game-changer as he was rock solid on the OL last year and provides immeasurable experience on top of that. Lasty (and he’s borderline in this regard), Borregales is pretty close to reliable. 4/5 from FGs of 40-49, 4/6 from 50+ in 2023, has missed only 1 XP in his career here. Not too shabby, not quite a game-changer but certainly ability to get there as a top kicker. He’s definitely got the leg for it.

Last edited:
It's been a long long time since we've had a QB that was an actual, legitimate threat. Someone that could change the entire game in our favor.
Given that that's the most important position on the field, and it's even more so in the college game, I really like our chances next season. On paper I think we're the best team in the ACC.

If we can limit mistakes like dumb penalties, turnovers and brainless coaching blunders (take a knee coach), 2024 could be a really fun year.

Advertisement
Definitely have my eye on Alston as a guy who can jump into that category on defense. But we need someone at WR, RB, or TE to break out. We know Restrepo is as reliable a slot gut as you can ask for but will an outside guy step up ? Can Citizen stay healthy and be the stud he was projected to be ? Will a young TE actually get involved in the pass game this year ? Any of the above questions being answered unlocks a whole new level of our offense.

Maybe my definition is different i think we got difference makers but bain and ward are the only game changers and thats gotta change especially at wr and rb. Those two positions are usually elite for the top teams

I wanna say the entire top 12 has a game changer at RB or WR

Advertisement
I was just thinking this same thing. What makes this team better than last years team? Ward I think will be an upgrade over TVD, but I’m failing to see where else we’ve improved
Most of the talent is in the last 2 classes. Depends who develops from last class. And maybe not a Bain but atleast a Fletcher or Damari brown that starts getting playing time as the season goes.

Having a good QB is great. Having only one option to throw to is not.

Having a great DE is great. Having no defensive backfield is not.

At least we have some help with transfers. We will know better in the spring game.

You are 100% correct and that is why this team still has a ways to go before we can compete on an elite level. Lack of true, proven difference makers is one of the main reasons this team has been stuck in mediocrity for decades.

Advertisement
Way too early to know which young guys step up. As it sits right now though, Ward and Bain with the other names sprinkled in, but I just think there's going to be a couple surprise young guys that step up. Jayden Wayne, Popo, and Fletcher is healthy are the first three that come to mind for me. I also think Bobby Washington, Malik Bryant and Pulliam are going to be nasty LBs, just probably not next year. Probably need to revisit this after the spring "game."

Look at the past few NFL drafts or projected first rounders this year to see where your talent level is when it comes to difference makers.

Trevor Lawrence
Joe Burrow
Jamaar Chase
Justin Jefferson
Devonta Smith
Jaylen Waddle
Jerry Juedy
Marvin Harrison Jr.
Chris Olave
Garrett Wilson
Smith-Jigba
Brock Bowers
Caleb Williams
Drake Maye
Najee Harris
Bijon Robinson
Zay Flowers
C.J. Stroud

Do we have players you would put in this category yet? Even if they are not how many even top 100 picks players?

I agree Ward and Bain and Kiko, but Kiko probably a 4th round pick or so.

We have some OL that could be top 100 picks. Where is the top 3 round talents at RB and WR? CB's?

Advertisement
Back