X's and O's Did you see what I saw?

It's just so incredibly weird to have a competent scheme on both sides of the ball.

So this is what others have been enjoying for AGES?
Exactly, it always seems coordinators like these two are always on the other sideline... I'm going to enjoy the ride... GO CANES

Advertisement
Here’s something else I only noticed on like the 3rd watch because I get so hype about the play. Sorry only a screenshot but on 3rd and 8 right before we hit the back breaker to George the sideline shows Dawson

Twice he says “rip off read” (I think)

This is one of the few times I remember in the game when the offense looks to the sideline

He says “rip off read” and motions to his head, TVD looks to the sideline, we adjust the formation (barely getting the play off) and hit the strike for the winner

His reaction after the play was telling as well because he was basically like “I ****** told you” and the assistant coaches basically all reacted the same way

View attachment 256524

For reference it happens at about the 2:16:00 mark of the full game watch

He is likely calling the formation and check with me there. Rip would be Ace right "off" puts the Y off the ball. Read is likely a check with me.

Mario might show up to my house if I keep guessing correctly.

An OC that takes what the D gives, and makes the D give him what he wants. That's just a bit refreshing.
There’s no need for me to even ask u what’s goin on here! I got somebody dat wanna talk to u! Aye yo Scott!!!!!
Scott Hall Wrestling GIF by WWE

Hey yo! Hit the ***** BUTTON!!!!!

Here’s something else I only noticed on like the 3rd watch because I get so hype about the play. Sorry only a screenshot but on 3rd and 8 right before we hit the back breaker to George the sideline shows Dawson

Twice he says “rip off read” (I think)

This is one of the few times I remember in the game when the offense looks to the sideline

He says “rip off read” and motions to his head, TVD looks to the sideline, we adjust the formation (barely getting the play off) and hit the strike for the winner

His reaction after the play was telling as well because he was basically like “I ****** told you” and the assistant coaches basically all reacted the same way

For reference it happens at about the 2:16:00 mark of the full game watch

Whats funny is before this drive Tamu basically stayed in a 2 deep, Dawson tried different things to get them out of it, even going as far as the famous Baylor 4 wide split stack to clear out box, we got maybe a play here n there but we couldnt run it like we wanted.. On this drive I guess Durkin got antsy and wanted to force issue, on play BEFORE with the out to Restrepo, they squeeze the end, I saw that in stands and knew corner was coming as safety had cap on Restrepo, great read and that allowed us to go 3rd and manageable.. From there they were in single high and that play told me everything I needed to know that we were going vertical was not just a slogan but built in mindset and change!

Reminds me a little of 2019, LSU prior to that season got Joe Brady and they told any and everybody they were gonna be an aggressive offense, Burrow wasnt the guy we know now and LSU was pro style bro purgatory like us. I paid attention because we were the last team holding on and wanted to see if they could change, their former players were against it, the fans didnt believe but coach O in interviews said they were gonna be wide open in all interview, no one believed it til they also played a team from Texas early in season. Earily similar circumstance, on 3rd down with a lead and about 2 minutes left and 3rd and 17 would they be aggressive like they talked about or would old habits die hard.. Then this happen and the rest is history, not saying we will have same season but its just interesting, lol.. The confidence for that offense took off and NEVER looked back that season.. They went on raod in biggest game of year later that season too into rivals house

Advertisement
Whats funny is before this drive Tamu basically stayed in a 2 deep, Dawson tried different things to get them out of it, even going as far as the famous Baylor 4 wide split stack to clear out box, we got maybe a play here n there but we couldnt run it like we wanted.. On this drive I guess Durkin got antsy and wanted to force issue, on play BEFORE with the out to Restrepo, they squeeze the end, I saw that in stands and knew corner was coming as safety had cap on Restrepo, great read and that allowed us to go 3rd and manageable.. From there they were in single high and that play told me everything I needed to know that we were going vertical was not just a slogan but built in mindset and change!

Reminds me a little of 2019, LSU prior to that season got Joe Brady and they told any and everybody they were gonna be an aggressive offense, Burrow wasnt the guy we know now and LSU was pro style bro purgatory like us. I paid attention because we were the last team holding on and wanted to see if they could change, their former players were against it, the fans didnt believe but coach O in interviews said they were gonna be wide open in all interview, no one believed it til they also played a team from Texas early in season. Earily similar circumstance, on 3rd down with a lead and about 2 minutes left and 3rd and 17 would they be aggressive like they talked about or would old habits die hard.. Then this happen and the rest is history, not saying we will have same season but its just interesting, lol..

Good stuff my man. I think that every time I watch this play, the part about the play before it being so critical to put us in a manageable spot

I think we all probably had a collective “oh boy” when we saw how much time was on the clock and we lost 3 yards on a run play on 1st down

PTSD kicking in of playing it safe and running it two more times and punting

But nope Dawson was in full attack mode on 2nd and 13

He is likely calling the formation and check with me there. Rip would be Ace right "off" puts the Y off the ball. Read is likely a check with me.

Mario might show up to my house if I keep guessing correctly.
Yessir that’s what I was thinking. He didn’t seem to do much “check with me” type stuff but pulling one during that critical moment was interesting

So seeing him call a check with me, TVD checking and then resetting, and then absolutely driving a dagger into their souls (even without the poor tackling that led to a TD) was just beautiful to watch

The thing I love is we’ve shown two different ways to win the last two weeks. One week you give cushions and sit back so we pound the run with short intermediate routes. The next week you play with the safety closer to the los , with more aggressive coverage and we torch them passing. That’s what I’ve always wanted , balance and the option of winning in different ways.

There’s going to be weeks where you face a great run d with a mediocre pass d and vice versa. You have two options now when you play us. Imo the run game will be rewarded greatly from Saturday‘s performance. This isn’t 2022 anymore.

Advertisement
View attachment 256490
This man knows what he’s doing. After rewatching the game somewhere between 33 to 48 times since Saturday, I’m highly impressed by the offense. Obviously the amount of scoring lets us know our offense is infinitely better, but the design of some of these plays really stood out to me. Let’s discuss.

As a sidebar, I saw this clip and loved it. The Fins just put up 500 yards of offense, with 450 being through the air. It shows that even on the highest level, good scheme that includes pre-snap motion is just a nightmare to guard for a defense.

View attachment 256491
First drive of the game, we bring our TE in motion across the formation and have him wheel up the near sideline. Obviously the first read is to see who the linebacker picks up between the RB and TE after the motion. (If it wasn’t, Restrepo is WIDE open on his in route in the middle of the field). But even bigger than that, if TVD pumpfakes that throw to the RB and looks at the tight end, he’s WIDE OPEN down the sideline for a big gain and possibly 6. Beautiful play design that options that LB and makes him choose what he’s going to guard in front of him.

View attachment 256492
Our first scoring drive, this run play is underrated but it’s a homerun play. Having 2 RBs in the backfield and then pulling the RG and RT (especially with how skilled our guys are) is DEATH to a defense. This run uses the D-lines aggressiveness against them and seals pretty much everyone in the box while allowing the ball carrier to get to the outside. Fletcher looks to seal inside with his block and hesitates while not getting upfield which allows the safety to get outside leverage on him and forces Parrish to cut inside upfield. If Fletcher goes to meet that safety and allows Parrish to get to the sideline, Parrish walks into the endzone for 6…. From anywhere on the field.

View attachment 256493
View attachment 256494
The actual play live doesn’t look like much, but bringing the TE in motion stuns the safety on the right side of the field. Knowing that he may be responsible for the TE and then watching the play-action, he gets NO depth in his coverage. Due to that, the post route by Restrepo behind him ends up being WIDE open. If TVD has time that’s EASY pitch and catch to the 2nd “i” in Miami’s endzone. Obviously aTm did a good job getting pressure on the play and moving TVD off his spot, but with 8 players set up to block, it’s great play design, our guys up front just got beat… it happens, still great design.

View attachment 256496
View attachment 256499
TE in motion again, moves to the wide side of the field where we fake a WR screen to Restrepo. Of course, the defense over reacts to that and we have a screen set up to Parrish on the short side of the field. you can watch their linebackers, the one closer to Restrepo reacts to that fake screen and is completely out of the play, the other stays home and falls for the RB screen perfectly. If our LT delays their end for about 1.5 more seconds and gives TVD time to deliver that ball to Parrish, it’s probably a house call. Our LG blocks and releases PERFECTLY and from the back camera angle you can see he’s heading up field 1 on 1 with their safety as the last line of defense. GREAT call.

View attachment 256500
I’m sure we have all rewatched this play tons of times so I really won’t say much. Motion motion motion… watch Colbie’s defender, it’s just impossible for him.

View attachment 256501
TE in motion.. repeating theme. Again makes it impossible for Colbie’s defender. Man coverage and there are THREE drag routes (pick play) he has to navigate through. Just watch him, by the time Colbie catches it, his defender is about 10 yards away. Great design.

View attachment 256503
Motion motion motion. Beautiful play, I’m sure we’ve all seen it a million times, but just watch Jacolby’s defender, again, just impossible for him to make a play.

View attachment 256507
View attachment 256506
Remember that running play from the first scoring drive? It’s money again. This time Chaney seals the second level defender inside and we get a big run. If Parrish makes the safety miss (or is faster and gets to that sideline before the safety), he’s probably still running.

There were so many great and memorable plays that helped us win, but on my rewatches these are the “other” plays that stood out to me. With how excited we all are about how well we did execute, it’s highly encouraging to see that we aren’t even close to our final form. Of course, we aren’t ever going to execute 100% on every play, but man… Dawson got more eye candy than an old XXL magazine. What y’all think?

Perfect post! Thank you and the XXL magazine eye candy mention was 🎯🎯

Great write up!!!

On the pass to Colb where Restrepo and McCormick rub underneath routes, Cam could and should have been called for PI. He actually makes a blocking the defender before the ball is thrown. Restrepo doe it perfectly by making the defender run around him without making contact.

I hope the coaches point this out on film study as next time we may not be so fortunate. There's no need to block the defender. Just reroute them.
Get back call. The Refs saw it but they also let A&M get away with one on their 1st drive

And to think we missed several big play/scoring opportunities. Watch out when the offense really gets in sync.

I’m happy for Dawson. It’s looking like he was a huge factor in those Dana offenses after all…..

Time for him to show out on his own.
He already has.. at Houston last year. If we could have the numbers they had with our defense.. we coolin

Advertisement
You're actually right. Colbie works himself back behind the line of scrimmage when he makes the catch.

I still don't want Cam to make a block on that play. A defender at the line of scrimmage could push the catch further down field. It's telling that Restrepo makes a point not to block, but Cam does. Both should be doing the same thing. I think Restrepo is doing what the coaches want (A rub).
Ok. I dont know how they coached it but its basically screen. He worked his way behind the line deliberately so maybe they do coach it like that. But like i said, dont know.

Reminds me a little of 2019, LSU prior to that season got Joe Brady and they told any and everybody they were gonna be an aggressive offense, Burrow wasnt the guy we know now and LSU was pro style bro purgatory like us. I paid attention because we were the last team holding on and wanted to see if they could change, their former players were against it, the fans didnt believe but coach O in interviews said they were gonna be wide open in all interview, no one believed it til they also played a team from Texas early in season. Earily similar circumstance, on 3rd down with a lead and about 2 minutes left and 3rd and 17 would they be aggressive like they talked about or would old habits die hard.. Then this happen and the rest is history, not saying we will have same season but its just interesting, lol.. The confidence for that offense took off and NEVER looked back that season.. They went on raod in biggest game of year later that season too into rivals house

Guess who is in our building everyday? Coach O lol. Coincidence....maybe

Advertisement
Great thread. Finally rewatched the game sober last night. I’m sure it’s been said a million times already but along with just about every other drive/play on BOTH sides of the ball, the final drive of the 1st half stood out to me the most. Much like the rest of the game, it’s one that only happens in bizzaro world when compared to just about every other drive in a similar situation over the last 20 years.

Starting from our own 25, :57 seconds left, zero timeouts. First play getting blown up that would’ve otherwise been a huge gain. Feel like that would typically lead to us going into a shell and running out the half or 3 and out. The tempo getting back to the line and next play off after the big run. Colbie’s catch and run down the sideline, instead of just stepping out when met by the defender, cutting back inside and picking up another 10yds before getting back out and stopping the clock. TVD to X down the sideline. The delay of game inside the 10 was as Manny as it gets 🤣 but as soon as the camera cut to Dawson on the sideline with the hand up I knew we were scoring. The “next play” mentality of this staff and team is evident and such a sight for our collective sore as **** eyes.

The thing I love is we’ve shown two different ways to win the last two weeks. One week you give cushions and sit back so we pound the run with short intermediate routes. The next week you play with the safety closer to the los , with more aggressive coverage and we torch them passing. That’s what I’ve always wanted , balance and the option of winning in different ways.

There’s going to be weeks where you face a great run d with a mediocre pass d and vice versa. You have two options now when you play us. Imo the run game will be rewarded greatly from Saturday‘s performance. This isn’t 2022 anymore.
Facts and i think its gonna play out how good a job we did running the ball v Ohio Miami.

We shown adapatability in 2 weeks. Not just, this is how we do it even if its not working. Its ok u give us that, we take it.

As for X's and O's look how much better we are at designing plays for YAC potential vs last year

This is a stat from Navarro's article in the athletic
Miami's outside and slot receivers have produced nearly half of last year's YAC production in just two games.
That’s sickening. After watching last season’s offense should get all cane fans a medal of courage. UVA being our Nam. “ We saw some things man “.

Advertisement
Back