X's and O's Did you see what I saw?

Rod Is Godly

Greentree All-American
0.gif

This man knows what he’s doing. After rewatching the game somewhere between 33 to 48 times since Saturday, I’m highly impressed by the offense. Obviously the amount of scoring lets us know our offense is infinitely better, but the design of some of these plays really stood out to me. Let’s discuss.

As a sidebar, I saw this clip and loved it. The Fins just put up 500 yards of offense, with 450 being through the air. It shows that even on the highest level, good scheme that includes pre-snap motion is just a nightmare to guard for a defense.

1.gif

First drive of the game, we bring our TE in motion across the formation and have him wheel up the near sideline. Obviously the first read is to see who the linebacker picks up between the RB and TE after the motion. (If it wasn’t, Restrepo is WIDE open on his in route in the middle of the field). But even bigger than that, if TVD pumpfakes that throw to the RB and looks at the tight end, he’s WIDE OPEN down the sideline for a big gain and possibly 6. Beautiful play design that options that LB and makes him choose what he’s going to guard in front of him.

2.gif

Our first scoring drive, this run play is underrated but it’s a homerun play. Having 2 RBs in the backfield and then pulling the RG and RT (especially with how skilled our guys are) is DEATH to a defense. This run uses the D-lines aggressiveness against them and seals pretty much everyone in the box while allowing the ball carrier to get to the outside. Fletcher looks to seal inside with his block and hesitates while not getting upfield which allows the safety to get outside leverage on him and forces Parrish to cut inside upfield. If Fletcher goes to meet that safety and allows Parrish to get to the sideline, Parrish walks into the endzone for 6…. From anywhere on the field.

3.gif

3(2).gif

The actual play live doesn’t look like much, but bringing the TE in motion stuns the safety on the right side of the field. Knowing that he may be responsible for the TE and then watching the play-action, he gets NO depth in his coverage. Due to that, the post route by Restrepo behind him ends up being WIDE open. If TVD has time that’s EASY pitch and catch to the 2nd “i” in Miami’s endzone. Obviously aTm did a good job getting pressure on the play and moving TVD off his spot, but with 8 players set up to block, it’s great play design, our guys up front just got beat… it happens, still great design.

4.gif

4(2).gif

TE in motion again, moves to the wide side of the field where we fake a WR screen to Restrepo. Of course, the defense over reacts to that and we have a screen set up to Parrish on the short side of the field. you can watch their linebackers, the one closer to Restrepo reacts to that fake screen and is completely out of the play, the other stays home and falls for the RB screen perfectly. If our LT delays their end for about 1.5 more seconds and gives TVD time to deliver that ball to Parrish, it’s probably a house call. Our LG blocks and releases PERFECTLY and from the back camera angle you can see he’s heading up field 1 on 1 with their safety as the last line of defense. GREAT call.

5.gif

I’m sure we have all rewatched this play tons of times so I really won’t say much. Motion motion motion… watch Colbie’s defender, it’s just impossible for him.

6.gif

TE in motion.. repeating theme. Again makes it impossible for Colbie’s defender. Man coverage and there are THREE drag routes (pick play) he has to navigate through. Just watch him, by the time Colbie catches it, his defender is about 10 yards away. Great design.

7.gif

Motion motion motion. Beautiful play, I’m sure we’ve all seen it a million times, but just watch Jacolby’s defender, again, just impossible for him to make a play.

VideoToGif_GIF 2.gif

VideoToGif_GIF.gif

Remember that running play from the first scoring drive? It’s money again. This time Chaney seals the second level defender inside and we get a big run. If Parrish makes the safety miss (or is faster and gets to that sideline before the safety), he’s probably still running.

There were so many great and memorable plays that helped us win, but on my rewatches these are the “other” plays that stood out to me. With how excited we all are about how well we did execute, it’s highly encouraging to see that we aren’t even close to our final form. Of course, we aren’t ever going to execute 100% on every play, but man… Dawson got more eye candy than an old XXL magazine. What y’all think?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Wait, you mean to say space , motion, mixed with creative route concepts works? RR is the one I can’t wait to see in this offense , use him like Hill.
Some people have been calling this out for yearssssss and were called mopes, the request for motion/spread/air raid concepts/etc. now people understand. Was looking up post on WEZ and saw some of your post even in 2012 on there, you been fighting the good fight for a long time!

It's just so incredibly weird to have a competent scheme on both sides of the ball.

So this is what others have been enjoying for AGES?
THIS IS WHAT SOME ASKED FOR FOREVER! DEATH TO PRO STYLE BROS! Made me sit thru a decade plus of mediocre football while the game changed before our eyes, it realllllllllllllllly sucks when you look at talent we had on some rosters and couldnt produce. If we got ahead of curve we couldve benefited majorly like the clemsons, UO, Baylor types who did more with less, while we did less with more.

On a side not is Tyrek Hill the most unstoppable WR in football. It's fun being a Dolphin Fan again.

It's even more fun being a CANE because in my eyes we have two very good coordinators and Mario has let them coach.
Gonna tell fins fans like I told the heat fans, ENJOY that talent because in football its even quicker, one of the most unique players to EVER play the game and you have him here with a great coach who uses him as a unique weapon.. Those double header weekend will be fun again, CANT WAIT! SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED resides in Miami where it belongs..

Advertisement
@Brooklyndee I told you someone visited the Fins months ago :)
Talk to me.. I wondered this as I know Mario/Mirabal love outside zone and had Sean McVay last year for coaching clinic and McDaniels this season but did they visit their staff over offseason? I always wondered that but of course our reporters dont ask what staff or what they do to evolve offense in offseason. (U of kansas OC Kotelnicki talked about visiting chiefs and stealing ideas in recent presser)

I love that 2-back set we run. Some flashbacks of Highsmith-Bratton with the Gary Stevens offenses. Miami has some big backs (Chaney, Fletcher) that can lead block. They can get real creative with that

And Dawson's screen package is elite .That Parrish one would've gone for at least 35 yards if completed...

Some people have been calling this out for yearssssss and were called mopes, the request for motion/spread/air raid concepts/etc. now people understand. Was looking up post on WEZ and saw some of your post even in 2012 on there, you been fighting the good fight for a long time!

THIS IS WHAT SOME ASKED FOR FOREVER! DEATH TO PRO STYLE BROS! Made me sit thru a decade plus of mediocre football while the game changed before our eyes, it realllllllllllllllly sucks when you look at talent we had on some rosters and couldnt produce. If we got ahead of curve we couldve benefited majorly like the clemsons, UO, Baylor types who did more with less, while we did less with more.

Gonna tell fins fans like I told the heat fans, ENJOY that talent because in football its even quicker, one of the most unique players to EVER play the game and you have him here with a great coach who uses him as a unique weapon.. Those double header weekend will be fun again, CANT WAIT! SPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED resides in Miami where it belongs..
Stupid question. Could Dawson incoporate some of McDaniels plays and have RayRay be Hill? @Cribby mentioned this.

Advertisement
Talk to me.. I wondered this as I know Mario/Mirabal love outside zone and had Sean McVay last year for coaching clinic and McDaniels this season but did they visit their staff over offseason? I always wondered that but of course our reporters dont ask what staff or what they do to evolve offense in offseason. (U of kansas OC Kotelnicki talked about visiting chiefs and stealing ideas in recent presser)
All I can say is Mario has re-evaluated his staff and himself. The guy is busting his *** to get better.

Dude I was fighting the fight in 2005-2006 lol. Miami was always all about innovation and staying a step ahead of the game. That’s why we had so much success as a program early on. The Sec, Big 8 , SWC and big 10 were all about the wishbone / option and Miami went to the pro style. All the detractors said college kids couldn’t run that lol, it was too complicated. Same when we went to the 4-3.

The ego around this program has been a cancer , “we’ll just get south Florida kids and out talent people”. Well look at the last fifteen years and see where we’ve landed. It’s been much more than spending, it’s been as much the mentality of the program. We had success doing things one way for years so why change ? Smh.

Coordinators matter:

not to stray from the offense but Guidry said in the G5, u get no big guys on DL, so u have to use different things to stop the run, movement and overloads for example.

But u have Steele, Gattis and alot of our fans crying about what we didn't have. G5 coaches, and high school coaches for that matter use what they have, not what they wish they did.

i had man arguing with me saying we had the ingredients to have a top 25 offense. The players who made the plays at the skill positions were all on our team last year.

Bluestein said he went to practice and scouts were saying they cant believe how bad the WRs were.

He shoulda been saying he cant believe how dumb Gattis was.

Btw Bama man are all over the internet crying about how vanilla their defense was and how easy it was to read and Ewers had 6 weeks on drop backs to throw. Compare that to how we not only came after Weigman, we confused and disguise

Last edited:
Advertisement
Stupid question. Could Dawson incoporate some of McDaniels plays and have RayRay be Hill? @Cribby mentioned this.
Could he, absolutely. McDaniels was Mario's headliner for his coaching clinic this year so that interaction is obviously there. @Hurracanes made comment above about visiting fins also so thats awesome. In offseason coaches do that all the time and it only makes sense to use that opportunity with one of best minds in backyard and steal a few concepts..

All I can say is Mario has re-evaluated his staff and himself. The guy is busting his *** to get better.
I ripped Mario last year ( deservingly so) but when he fired the entire staff and brought in Dawson I knew he saw the light and wasn’t the caveman we thought he was. In the long term last year was a blessing , a painful one but still a blessing.

Advertisement
Back