X's and O's Did you see what I saw?

Advertisement
I object to this statement on behalf of Atari. Gattis wishes he could put out a product as good as Pitfall and Missle Command.

Great thread. I havent been able to watch it again. Appreciate the play breakdowns. 👍
Gattis over here lookin like one of those Tiger Electronics handheld games lol
Tiger handheld game systems coming this fall for $15 each - Liliputing

I know we’re jaded to that word “back” regarding our Canes since the bar for being back is competing for championships, but we are well on our way imo.

I know it sounds crazy or just excitement from the big win this weekend, but if we clean some stuff up and avoid major injuries, I don’t see more than 1 potential loss on our schedule. This was an offensive post, but our defense was really lights out for a majority of the game. When this team starts to gel even more we will be dominant. This season.

Advertisement
I know we’re jaded to that word “back” regarding our Canes since the bar for being back is competing for championships, but we are well on our way imo.

I know it sounds crazy or just excitement from the big win this weekend, but if we clean some stuff up and avoid major injuries, I don’t see more than 1 potential loss on our schedule. This was an offensive post, but our defense was really lights out for a majority of the game. When this team starts to gel even more we will be dominant. This season.
Just have to hope we get lucky with injuries.. cant be losing whole position groups dam near in one game.. I think if we can do that and continue to gain confidence, could turn into a fun run..

I literally just watched this video as well. Btw Clemson plays UNC, FSU and us as well after losing to Duke. Also ND out OOC. ACC looking nice

On the play with Colbie, with the three drag routes, Colbie cuts back into the backfield, as the TE is blocking somebody, then the pass was thrown. I think if he hadn't done that, it would have been offensive pass interference.

Not to mope, but I hope we aren’t getting ahead of our skis. We’ve seen TVD have really poor games with slow starts. We really need him locked in. Hoping for no clunkers in the temple/GT games. Need to see it over the course of the season

Advertisement
Not to mope, but I hope we aren’t getting ahead of our skis. We’ve seen TVD have really poor games with slow starts. We really need him locked in. Hoping for no clunkers in the temple/GT games. Need to see it over the course of the season
For sure, but this team showed Saturday that they’re going to continue to battle, regardless of how poor we start. Tyler starting off poorly (as he has done at times) could potentially be attributed to lack of focus/preparedness and I don’t think our coaching staff will have that. Regardless, if we can come back from handing aTm a 2 score lead through special teams early, I think our team will be confident and battle back even if Tyler has a slow start.

Advertisement
On the play with Colbie, with the three drag routes, Colbie cuts back into the backfield, as the TE is blocking somebody, then the pass was thrown. I think if he hadn't done that, it would have been offensive pass interference.
I believe that was designed to be thrown behind the line of scrimmage so that we could legally block downfield.

Get back call. The Refs saw it but they also let A&M get away with one on their 1st drive
Colbie was actually behind the line of scrimmage which would make Cam's block legal.

When I saw it live, I thought Colbie was further downfield.

In any case I'd like to see Cam reroute the defender instead of blocking him. Sometimes the trench area may get crowded and force the WR to catch the ball further downfield.

We gotta adapt. If we need to throw cuz the run not working, do that and vica versa. We need to find a way each week. Our schedule sets up nice by slowing down then ramping back up to UNC which maybe even a primetime game and Clemson after.

Advertisement
It's just so incredibly weird to have a competent scheme on both sides of the ball.

So this is what others have been enjoying for AGES?
It’s a great day to be a Miami hurricane fan! Love watching Guidry bring pressure from all over the field, and seeing space in offense and wideouts making plays was an awesome sight.

Regarding TVD and leader, I don’t care if he gets excited in the moment, good or bad.

But what I do care about is how they are with the team. I like for them to be engaged with the team. Remember last year, we all heard reports that TVD wasn’t hanging out with the team at all. Maybe things have changed thanks to different circumstances.

And right now, all is right because we are winning. But that no expressions and minimal talking with different teammates on the sidelines comes across way different if you are losing.

View attachment 256490
This man knows what he’s doing. After rewatching the game somewhere between 33 to 48 times since Saturday, I’m highly impressed by the offense. Obviously the amount of scoring lets us know our offense is infinitely better, but the design of some of these plays really stood out to me. Let’s discuss.

As a sidebar, I saw this clip and loved it. The Fins just put up 500 yards of offense, with 450 being through the air. It shows that even on the highest level, good scheme that includes pre-snap motion is just a nightmare to guard for a defense.

View attachment 256491
First drive of the game, we bring our TE in motion across the formation and have him wheel up the near sideline. Obviously the first read is to see who the linebacker picks up between the RB and TE after the motion. (If it wasn’t, Restrepo is WIDE open on his in route in the middle of the field). But even bigger than that, if TVD pumpfakes that throw to the RB and looks at the tight end, he’s WIDE OPEN down the sideline for a big gain and possibly 6. Beautiful play design that options that LB and makes him choose what he’s going to guard in front of him.

View attachment 256492
Our first scoring drive, this run play is underrated but it’s a homerun play. Having 2 RBs in the backfield and then pulling the RG and RT (especially with how skilled our guys are) is DEATH to a defense. This run uses the D-lines aggressiveness against them and seals pretty much everyone in the box while allowing the ball carrier to get to the outside. Fletcher looks to seal inside with his block and hesitates while not getting upfield which allows the safety to get outside leverage on him and forces Parrish to cut inside upfield. If Fletcher goes to meet that safety and allows Parrish to get to the sideline, Parrish walks into the endzone for 6…. From anywhere on the field.

View attachment 256493
View attachment 256494
The actual play live doesn’t look like much, but bringing the TE in motion stuns the safety on the right side of the field. Knowing that he may be responsible for the TE and then watching the play-action, he gets NO depth in his coverage. Due to that, the post route by Restrepo behind him ends up being WIDE open. If TVD has time that’s EASY pitch and catch to the 2nd “i” in Miami’s endzone. Obviously aTm did a good job getting pressure on the play and moving TVD off his spot, but with 8 players set up to block, it’s great play design, our guys up front just got beat… it happens, still great design.

View attachment 256496
View attachment 256499
TE in motion again, moves to the wide side of the field where we fake a WR screen to Restrepo. Of course, the defense over reacts to that and we have a screen set up to Parrish on the short side of the field. you can watch their linebackers, the one closer to Restrepo reacts to that fake screen and is completely out of the play, the other stays home and falls for the RB screen perfectly. If our LT delays their end for about 1.5 more seconds and gives TVD time to deliver that ball to Parrish, it’s probably a house call. Our LG blocks and releases PERFECTLY and from the back camera angle you can see he’s heading up field 1 on 1 with their safety as the last line of defense. GREAT call.

View attachment 256500
I’m sure we have all rewatched this play tons of times so I really won’t say much. Motion motion motion… watch Colbie’s defender, it’s just impossible for him.

View attachment 256501
TE in motion.. repeating theme. Again makes it impossible for Colbie’s defender. Man coverage and there are THREE drag routes (pick play) he has to navigate through. Just watch him, by the time Colbie catches it, his defender is about 10 yards away. Great design.

View attachment 256503
Motion motion motion. Beautiful play, I’m sure we’ve all seen it a million times, but just watch Jacolby’s defender, again, just impossible for him to make a play.

View attachment 256507
View attachment 256506
Remember that running play from the first scoring drive? It’s money again. This time Chaney seals the second level defender inside and we get a big run. If Parrish makes the safety miss (or is faster and gets to that sideline before the safety), he’s probably still running.

There were so many great and memorable plays that helped us win, but on my rewatches these are the “other” plays that stood out to me. With how excited we all are about how well we did execute, it’s highly encouraging to see that we aren’t even close to our final form. Of course, we aren’t ever going to execute 100% on every play, but man… Dawson got more eye candy than an old XXL magazine. What y’all think?

Post MOAR!!

Advertisement
Back