Did people in 2001-2002 like Coker

Orangebowl

Redshirt Freshman
I saw that Coker wasn't a good enough coach even for UTSA (had anybody even heard of that university before Coker was hired there) and they fired him. That made we wonder: did people early on believe Coker was a great coach, or did they realize those were really Davis' teams? P.S. I saw those teams but am a bit too young to remember a lot about them.

Advertisement
People didn't care. We could tell we were on the verge of greatness and most fans were fine with some sort of continuity. Internet and social media culture obviously wasn't prevalent so there wasn't as much public debate/discussion about it. If we only knew the longterm ramifications- then again maybe most fans would still have taken what should have been back to back titles.

He was was at UTSA for like 10 years. Coker was extremely likable and was a decent coach. IMO, recruiting hurt him. Specifically he needed to recruit the **** out of the QB and RB positions and he failed. Signed a lot of 4/5 star kids who all sucked at RB, and amazingly he and Butch failed miserably at the QB position.

Team seemed weaker in 2002. They never should have been close enough to * to allow the refs (once again) steal a game from us. Knew things were going downhill then.

Advertisement
He was at UTSA for 5 years and compiled a losing record(26-32) , despite playing most of his schedules vs Sun Belt and FCS opponents.

Miami vs. Rutgers 2002 was the very beginning of the end for Coker. I believe Rutgers had the lead going into the 4th quarter. Miami vs. Tennessee 2003 was a big red flag. Miami had no business losing that game.

The internet wasn't around for guys to whine about every position coach back then but I remember having mixed feelings. I was mad Butch left and didn't want another coach but I also knew the team was good enough regardless. Winning 35 straight sure fooled me about Coker though. Who knew the team was that talented to do all that without a good coach.

Miami vs. Rutgers 2002 was the very beginning of the end for Coker. I believe Rutgers had the lead going into the 4th quarter. Miami vs. Tennessee 2003 was a big red flag. Miami had no business losing that game.

To me it was the Duke game, where the Defense had to pull off a Int at the end of the game.

Advertisement

Yeah, something seemed off beginning with the BC game early in the year too. Ended up winning 38-6 but game was inexplicably close entering the 4th quarter till Vilma's 4 yard Int return TD. In 2001, team would blow everyone out in first half then coast. Then in 2002, sleepwalk till the end of games.

If social media was prevalent in 2001....I predict that we would have supported Coker because the players wanted him. At that time, technically, we hadn't had a coach that was given a promotion by "player consensus", and failed/destroyed the team, to my knowledge. Also, it was following a 2000 year that we was ****ed out a NC appearance so no problem with continuity. Also, following Wiki, he may have spent 1 year as JJ's OC at OKST in 1983. Would have definitely helped his case for fan support in 2001.

The internet wasn't around for guys to whine about every position coach back then but I remember having mixed feelings. I was mad Butch left and didn't want another coach but I also knew the team was good enough regardless. Winning 35 straight sure fooled me about Coker though. Who knew the team was that talented to do all that without a good coach.

Yes it was (Grassy) and we did. It's going to sound like BS but I just knew it was a matter of time before Coker's incompetence would begin to show. Coker was not very well thought as an OC by most UM's fans at the time and there was even an attempt to organize a "Fire Coker" protest after we lost to UW in 2000.

Advertisement

Yeah, something seemed off beginning with the BC game early in the year too. Ended up winning 38-6 but game was inexplicably close entering the 4th quarter till Vilma's 4 yard Int return TD. In 2001, team would blow everyone out in first half then coast. Then in 2002, sleepwalk till the end of games.

Historically, Miami struggles at BC and I understand that you're not going to dominate every game. Plus, BC is a respectable program. Rutgers in 2002 was just ridiculous. Miami had no business losing going into the 4th.

I was on Grassy in 1997.

Advertisement

Historically, Miami struggles at BC and I understand that you're not going to dominate every game. Plus, BC is a respectable program. Rutgers in 2002 was just ridiculous. Miami had no business losing going into the 4th.

I understand, however BC game was at home in 02.

That Tennessee game was a huge red flag that I missed. As was WVU earlier that year!

But I knew it was over after Devin Hester housed the punt vs Louisville. Canes teams of old would have held Louisville to a 3 & out in the next possession and then scored again. This Canes team allowed a 9 play, 80 yard drive to put L'ville ahead again.

They only beat VA Tech by 2 in 2001. And that was only because of an inexplicable drop by Va Tech on a two point conversion attempt. Maybe that was the real first flag about Coker- having the most talented team ever and still nearly going into overtime in the regular season finale.

In 2001 and 2002 no. We struggled at BC in 2001 but we've always struggled there. In 2002 we had a couple of tough ones but even the greatest coaches have to deal with their teams suffering from Championshipitis. We did go into the Swamp and Rocky top and dominated. I was upset we lost but at the time it was easy to rationalize with the amount of first round piscine have lost the previous two seasons We had hit on every coach, so there was no reason to think Coker wasn't the right hire. In 2003, I knew something was up. Our offense was struggling. A Miami offense should not struggle the way we did. I think both of that season's losses we gave up less than 200 yards of offense to both teams.

Advertisement
Back