Did people in 2001-2002 like Coker

They only beat VA Tech by 2 in 2001. And that was only because of an inexplicable drop by Va Tech on a two point conversion attempt. Maybe that was the real first flag about Coker- having the most talented team ever and still nearly going into overtime in the regular season finale.

Ernest Wilford I believe. 26-10 with 11 minutes left I think. Then TD, 3 and out, punt block TD.

Advertisement
Miami vs. Rutgers 2002 was the very beginning of the end for Coker. I believe Rutgers had the lead going into the 4th quarter. Miami vs. Tennessee 2003 was a big red flag. Miami had no business losing that game.

To me it was the Duke game, where the Defense had to pull off a Int at the end of the game.
Maybe thinking about the Boston College game where Ed Reed took it to the house to assure us a chance at NC..

Didn't like the hire from day one. I do give him credit though. He didn't ***** up the Mercedes Butch handed him. Two national championship appearances two won, one taken away.

I knew when Vatech put 44 on us and then that terrible offense of ohio state put 31 that something was definitely wrong

Well, he was undefeated in his first year and his only (supposed) loss in the 2nd year was in the championship game....

And we were getting lots of "highly-ranked" players from everywhere...

Things looked good for awhile. Then the train derailed - but in slow motion over a few more years....then everyone figured out that Coker was better left as a position coach....

And then we had Shannon and Golden to follow him....

It's been a 15-year run or so of head-shakingly poor play....and coaching...

I saw that Coker wasn't a good enough coach even for UTSA (had anybody even heard of that university before Coker was hired there) and they fired him. That made we wonder: did people early on believe Coker was a great coach, or did they realize those were really Davis' teams? P.S. I saw those teams but am a bit too young to remember a lot about them.

Advertisement
Miami vs. Rutgers 2002 was the very beginning of the end for Coker. I believe Rutgers had the lead going into the 4th quarter. Miami vs. Tennessee 2003 was a big red flag. Miami had no business losing that game.

Yeah, something seemed off beginning with the BC game early in the year too. Ended up winning 38-6 but game was inexplicably close entering the 4th quarter till Vilma's 4 yard Int return TD. In 2001, team would blow everyone out in first half then coast. Then in 2002, sleepwalk till the end of games.

Historically, Miami struggles at BC and I understand that you're not going to dominate every game. Plus, BC is a respectable program. Rutgers in 2002 was just ridiculous. Miami had no business losing going into the 4th.

I understand, however BC game was at home in 02.

I was referring to the miraculous 2001 game. I misread your post, sorry.

The internet wasn't around for guys to whine about every position coach back then but I remember having mixed feelings. I was mad Butch left and didn't want another coach but I also knew the team was good enough regardless. Winning 35 straight sure fooled me about Coker though. Who knew the team was that talented to do all that without a good coach.

Yes it was (Grassy) and we did. It's going to sound like BS but I just knew it was a matter of time before Coker's incompetence would begin to show. Coker was not very well thought as an OC by most UM's fans at the time and there was even an attempt to organize a "Fire Coker" protest after we lost to UW in 2000.

I couldn't stand the old fool
we went to Cincy and watched us barely break a sweat against and undermanned Cincy team
the offense was an abomination
after the game, I was livid and meet him in the locker room
"great game Larry" dripping with sarcasm
but, those vacant eyes and stammering cadence replied "tttthhhhaank yoooouuu"

ugh, you could sense an organization about to lose it's way

To me it was the Duke game, where the Defense had to pull off a Int at the end of the game.
Maybe thinking about the Boston College game where Ed Reed took it to the house to assure us a chance at NC..

was at that game
wow, we out-matched that team - yet larry would play down to everyone, even with an All American team

thank God for Hong Kongs and scorpion bowls

The internet wasn't around for guys to whine about every position coach back then but I remember having mixed feelings. I was mad Butch left and didn't want another coach but I also knew the team was good enough regardless. Winning 35 straight sure fooled me about Coker though. Who knew the team was that talented to do all that without a good coach.
Lulz. Seems I'm not the only one who was on grassy.
Regarding Coker, I don't think (initially at least) that anyone was Very skeptical or critical. After all the fire Butch stuff , things seemed to calm down while the team rolled to a championship + an attempt to repeat. It was in 2003 when the losses began that posters questioned everything. If I remember correctly, the knocks on him were questions on talent level and his recruiting.

Advertisement
End of 05 for me... Just thought we had down yrs in 03(offense) and 04(defense). That gt game and lsu game did it for me....

Yes, I thought it was going to work in the beginning. I could see things slipping in 2002. There is no way they should have been as flat as they were in several games (trailing Rutgers 17-14 after 3, Fiesta Bowl, etc.).

Yeah, something seemed off beginning with the BC game early in the year too. Ended up winning 38-6 but game was inexplicably close entering the 4th quarter till Vilma's 4 yard Int return TD. In 2001, team would blow everyone out in first half then coast. Then in 2002, sleepwalk till the end of games.

Historically, Miami struggles at BC and I understand that you're not going to dominate every game. Plus, BC is a respectable program. Rutgers in 2002 was just ridiculous. Miami had no business losing going into the 4th.

Np. Speaking of Grassy... Getting on the old dial up internet to read one page every 15 minutes with fellow Canes was the greatest luxury back then.

I feel like anyone claiming they were against Larry in '02 are either full of s**t or way too critical. There really wasn't any reason to think he couldn't do the job at that point. Team played for back to back championships and won one(both). In the end, he screwed us, but don't pretend like it's anything other than hindsight to say you knew he had to go that early.

Advertisement
Coker is 1000x the coach that either Radio or Al-bortion are. In fact, Clappy McClap-a-lot is still responsible for the Canes last bowl win(!) and he did it as a dead corch walking.

Could you imagine the **** show that would be a Canes bowl game if the players knew it would be Radio's or Al-bort's last game? Sheet, the players quit on BOTH those incompetent ***** while they were still gainfully employed by Miami.

I feel like anyone claiming they were against Larry in '02 are either full of s**t or way too critical. There really wasn't any reason to think he couldn't do the job at that point. Team played for back to back championships and won one(both). In the end, he screwed us, but don't pretend like it's anything other than hindsight to say you knew he had to go that early.

That's fair. I do remember being overly aggravated with many efforts in 02. Though that could be attributed to the massive expectations of perfection we'd become accustomed to.

Np. Speaking of Grassy... Getting on the old dial up internet to read one page every 15 minutes with fellow Canes was the greatest luxury back then.

Loved seeing the 2 helmets at the top of the page.

Advertisement
Coker is 1000x the coach that either Radio or Al-bortion are. In fact, Clappy McClap-a-lot is still responsible for the Canes last bowl win(!) and he did it as a dead corch walking.

Could you imagine the **** show that would be a Canes bowl game if the players knew it would be Radio's or Al-bort's last game? Sheet, the players quit on BOTH those incompetent ***** while they were still gainfully employed by Miami.

Easy there Chief. We beat NEVADA(!) in Clappy's bowl win. He has (had) no ability to run a program.

That's fair. I do remember being overly aggravated with many efforts in 02. Though that could be attributed to the massive expectations of perfection we'd become accustomed to.

There were frustrating games in '01-02 for sure.

He started the UTSA program first played in 2011.

Advertisement
Back