Did people in 2001-2002 like Coker

It was weird because we were landing top 10 classes every year but most of the players Coker brought in didn't pan out. Guys like Kyle Wright, those 3 top running backs, Bain eating himself out of shape, Willie Williams. The list goes on and on of the blue chips who Coker signed and didn't pan out.

Advertisement
I feel like anyone claiming they were against Larry in '02 are either full of s**t or way too critical. There really wasn't any reason to think he couldn't do the job at that point. Team played for back to back championships and won one(both). In the end, he screwed us, but don't pretend like it's anything other than hindsight to say you knew he had to go that early.
Bull****. I hated the decision from day one and stand by that statement. You don't hand a program on the rise over to a career assistant just because the players throw a tantrum. To those who say "well he didn't ***** it up", you are wrong. He ran this program into the ground. The premise that only Larry Coker could have won the NC with the team Butch Davis built is absolutely laughable.

I feel like anyone claiming they were against Larry in '02 are either full of s**t or way too critical. There really wasn't any reason to think he couldn't do the job at that point. Team played for back to back championships and won one(both). In the end, he screwed us, but don't pretend like it's anything other than hindsight to say you knew he had to go that early.
Bull****. I hated the decision from day one and stand by that statement. You don't hand a program on the rise over to a career assistant just because the players throw a tantrum. To those who say "well he didn't ***** it up", you are wrong. He ran this program into the ground. The premise that only Larry Coker could have won the NC with the team Butch Davis built is absolutely laughable.

I can't imagine anyone claiming that ONLY Larry could have won, but he did manage to not f**k it up (short term). Al (and a lot of others) would have come in and changed a bunch of stuff because they believe they're smarter than everybody else.

If you say you knew it was a mistake back then, I won't call you a liar. But ****, it had to suck listening to you complain about a coach as the boys were hoisting that '01 trophy.

I can't imagine anyone claiming that ONLY Larry could have won, but he did manage to not f**k it up (short term). Al (and a lot of others) would have come in and changed a bunch of stuff because they believe they're smarter than everybody else.

If you say you knew it was a mistake back then, I won't call you a liar. But ****, it had to suck listening to you complain about a coach as the boys were hoisting that '01 trophy.
Ha, fair enough. I was pretty insufferable during the Fiasco Bowl watching our OL get blown up because Coker and Kehoe couldn't figure out how to counter a stunt.

Ha, fair enough. I was pretty insufferable during the Fiasco Bowl watching our OL get blown up because Coker and Kehoe couldn't figure out how to counter a stunt.

After the Rose Bowl I remember thinking that we'd never have to experience the lows we had in the late 90's ever again. Like a Phoenix, rose to the rightful place on top of college football only to experience the faces of meth (last 15 years).

Advertisement
2002 Rutgers and I started to debate in 2001 with the Temple game.

I was at both.

Rutgers game was already talked about so i won't elaborate.

But the temple game, we come out smoking, the score was like 30-0 in the 2Q and he pulls every starter and we win the game like 37-0 or something like that.

Worst 3 quarters of football you will ever watch. People traveled from all over, I had a bunch of friends (non canes) at the game with me. We left 2 mins into the 3rd quarter because Coker just ran into the line every play.

After the game he commented "It wasn't in the best interest of Temple to keep playing"

I'll never forget that.

Then he did the same thing vs Nebraska in the National Title game.

You can't win consistently with that type of attitude towards football. Once the most elite roster of all time moved on, it became impossible for that mentality to be successful.

He was was at UTSA for like 10 years. Coker was extremely likable and was a decent coach. IMO, recruiting hurt him. Specifically he needed to recruit the **** out of the QB and RB positions and he failed. Signed a lot of 4/5 star kids who all sucked at RB, and amazingly he and Butch failed miserably at the QB position.

My friend 3fw and i havent agreed on this since coker Was at um.

Coker was awful. You could feel it. You could see it in recruiting. He was in WAY over his head

2002 Rutgers and I started to debate in 2001 with the Temple game.

I was at both.

Rutgers game was already talked about so i won't elaborate.

But the temple game, we come out smoking, the score was like 30-0 in the 2Q and he pulls every starter and we win the game like 37-0 or something like that.

Worst 3 quarters of football you will ever watch. People traveled from all over, I had a bunch of friends (non canes) at the game with me. We left 2 mins into the 3rd quarter because Coker just ran into the line every play.

After the game he commented "It wasn't in the best interest of Temple to keep playing"

I'll never forget that.

Then he did the same thing vs Nebraska in the National Title game.

You can't win consistently with that type of attitude towards football. Once the most elite roster of all time moved on, it became impossible for that mentality to be successful.

So you knew he wasn't a good coach when he didn't risk the health of his starters to run up the score so that you could brag to your friends?

Advertisement
He was at UTSA for 5 years and compiled a losing record(26-32) , despite playing most of his schedules vs Sun Belt and FCS opponents.

He was their first ever football coach. Who cares who they played. They didn't even have a team before that.

no one really cared players loved him . we won we only cared about that looking back barry alvarez probably won 3 titles in 3 yrs not 1 butv at time coker was fine with fans if players happy

I don't remember many if any having an issue with the hire. As others have mentioned, continuity was key....basically don't rock the boat. Coker was a very likeable fellow, almost grandfather like. It had a good feeling about it and you talk about people having th at Canes swag, man....we didn't think anyone could beat us early on under him.

no one really cared players loved him . we won we only cared about that looking back barry alvarez probably won 3 titles in 3 yrs not 1 butv at time coker was fine with fans if players happy

Slow your roll, talented as those team were, it's almost impossible to win 3 in a row. 2 is **** hard.

Advertisement
Hated him as o cord.....hated his hire after butch.....and hated him every second as head coach and made that blatantly clear on grassy.

Last edited:
The internet wasn't around for guys to whine about every position coach back then but I remember having mixed feelings. I was mad Butch left and didn't want another coach but I also knew the team was good enough regardless. Winning 35 straight sure fooled me about Coker though. Who knew the team was that talented to do all that without a good coach.

And yes.....grassy.com was alive and well.

After getting jobbed by the refs on the pass interference call against OSU he stood there like a statue - all I needed to see right there to know how far he was in over his head as a head coach. He was the first of three awful head coaches.

Advertisement

There were red flags noticed by a few posters back in the grassy days in the 02 season. There were games that were close that shouldn't have been. 03 was the season it was more obvious and the country club atmosphere started showing.

There were red flags noticed by a few posters back in the grassy days in the 02 season. There were games that were close that shouldn't have been. 03 was the season it was more obvious and the country club atmosphere started showing.

There are always games that are closer than they should be. At some point, you're just b**ching to b**ch. Or trying to be the first one to call the downward slide. Seriously, if you can't sit back and enjoy a run like that, what's the point of being a fan?

He was was at UTSA for like 10 years. Coker was extremely likable and was a decent coach. IMO, recruiting hurt him. Specifically he needed to recruit the **** out of the QB and RB positions and he failed. Signed a lot of 4/5 star kids who all sucked at RB, and amazingly he and Butch failed miserably at the QB position.

My friend 3fw and i havent agreed on this since coker Was at um.

Coker was awful. You could feel it. You could see it in recruiting. He was in WAY over his head

LOL. I do agree. He was a likable guy though.

Advertisement
Back