Diaz was not a bad hire

Advertisement
He understands modern offenses, Richt probably did too. I think Manny is going to want to run whatever he feels is best for his recruiting base, fast and aggressive.
Of course he understands modern offenses. He's had to defend against them. That's got to be a positive. He knows what a modern offense looks like and hopefully implements modern offensive concepts.

This could be similar to what UGA did when the got rid of Richt to get Kirby besides him coming from Alabama... now we just need to play the bag game like everybody else

Bags are a must.

We need to take all that money we saved and use it on bags. Big, fat, beautiful bags.

Reading the board most of today, most fans wanted a hire that brought some identity and the Manny Diaz hire does it. Diaz defense is fast and aggressive and Diaz is not a CEO.

Diaz defense has been good for our recruiting base because SFLA athletes like to play fast and they don't want to all that read and react crap that Golden brought. Now you have to ask yourself what type of offense Diaz would want to run? I expect his desired offense to be in the mold of his defense, aggressive and fast. If Diaz brings in an OC that implements a fast and aggressive offense then he is not going to have issues recruiting.

I will end by saying I don't know if Diaz is going to work out any more than Clemson knew if Dabo was but I do think Diaz is a smart guy and understands what we need to win.

I know you're getting run over on this topic. I don't disagree with you, that in the end, if he was the best available guy, then he was the right guy at the time. The troubling aspect is there is no way the university knew that after a few short hours.

Advertisement
It may not be a bad hire, but it sure is a lazy one. Maybe Manny will kill it, maybe not. One thing that's certain is that Miami just went out and got the very first guy they could find. Instead of interviewing anyone, they literally gave the job to the very first person to call and ask for it. That does not inspire confidence regarding where this program is at or what the future is likely to hold.

What did Blake James do to inspire confidence?

What did our decision makers do over the last ~15 years to inspire confidence?

oh and **** you Korn Ferry, not getting our business this time!
They were hired to find the next CEO at a (profitable)place I used to work. After an exhaustive nationwide search, they chose our current COO. Three years later we went bankrupt.

They're worth as much as dental floss at a Waffle House.

I know you're getting run over on this topic. I don't disagree with you, that in the end, if he was the best available guy, then he was the right guy at the time. The troubling aspect is there is no way the university knew that after a few short hours.

Whether right or wrong, the decision makers (whether it was Blake on his own or with the BOT and President) decided that Manny was the guy they wanted and went and got him. It may work out or it may not but at least they were decisive and went after it. I suspect Blake will no longer be around if this hire doesn't work.

Advertisement
The really weird thing is there wasn’t even time for this decision to get board input, or perhaps even president input.

The admin ran from it. They want no part of it.

And they know James is incompetent.

Smells like negligence, imo.

The thing that gives me some solace is Diaz comment about not being a 7-5 defense.

That comment tells me he knows that changes are needed on that side and I think he makes them.

Reading the board most of today, most fans wanted a hire that brought some identity and the Manny Diaz hire does it. Diaz defense is fast and aggressive and Diaz is not a CEO.

Diaz defense has been good for our recruiting base because SFLA athletes like to play fast and they don't want to all that read and react crap that Golden brought. Now you have to ask yourself what type of offense Diaz would want to run? I expect his desired offense to be in the mold of his defense, aggressive and fast. If Diaz brings in an OC that implements a fast and aggressive offense then he is not going to have issues recruiting.

I will end by saying I don't know if Diaz is going to work out any more than Clemson knew if Dabo was but I do think Diaz is a smart guy and understands what we need to win.
Bump

Advertisement
Most couldn't tell at that time. For me, I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt and waited since we didn't have enough games to judge him by.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back