Diaz vs The Best- Advanced Stats Version

Advertisement
Manny Diaz = horrible game planning | Hornfans

Is allow a team to pile up rush yards a part of Spanish Dorito's "advanced metrics"?

I've got no dog in this fight, but I see a trend here. The OP in this and other threads are using objective metrics to analyze Diaz. Stats suggest he is good, but not elite. Fullyericht merely links to fan blogs and forums saying Diaz sucks as his "evidence."

No, check out Lucanes thread. GS goes in depth in that thread. His biggest concern is not enough man to man and running Fire zone.

There is a big difference between schematic anecdotes and objective analysis. The stats support Diaz as a good, but not elite coordinator. The industry sees him as a guy that knows his stuff. He is young, and shown flashes of upside. I understand that he may not run the scheme showers likes, but he is over-blowing issues that aren't supported by contextualized data. You can be a good, even great, DC while running a scheme that a couple message board ranters don't prefer. Not being able to see past such stylistic preferences, and ignoring data that contradicts such anecdotes is subjective.

I'd be interested to see how tcu defenses compare. They used to be brought up a lot and I imagine advanced statistics are more favorable to them than standard rankings.

Is allow a team to pile up rush yards a part of Spanish Dorito's "advanced metrics"?

I've got no dog in this fight, but I see a trend here. The OP in this and other threads are using objective metrics to analyze Diaz. Stats suggest he is good, but not elite. Fullyericht merely links to fan blogs and forums saying Diaz sucks as his "evidence."

No, check out Lucanes thread. GS goes in depth in that thread. His biggest concern is not enough man to man and running Fire zone.

There is a big difference between schematic anecdotes and objective analysis. The stats support Diaz as a good, but not elite coordinator. The industry sees him as a guy that knows his stuff. He is young, and shown flashes of upside. I understand that he may not run the scheme showers likes, but he is over-blowing issues that aren't supported by contextualized data. You can be a good, even great, DC while running a scheme that a couple message board ranters don't prefer. Not being able to see past such stylistic preferences, and ignoring data that contradicts such anecdotes is subjective.

You are trying to hard now. In that thread he gives examples all the way up to this last year. The IN-state game is a prime example of what he is talking about. The soft zone is almost exactly what Dorito ran here. You can't argue that isn't an area of concern. There is a reason he isn't elite. The test here will be can he learn and grow.

Advertisement

You are trying to hard now. In that thread he gives examples all the way up to this last year. The IN-state game is a prime example of what he is talking about. The soft zone is almost exactly what Dorito ran here. You can't argue that isn't an area of concern. There is a reason he isn't elite. The test here will be can he learn and grow.

Question: Can you play man under and 2 deep and still blitz the way Diaz likes too?

One thing that I don't his critics are taking into consideration is the talent he had to work with. MSU is the worst job in the SEC west and bottom 3-5 in the SEC in general. They're not getting the pick of the litter of recruits in their own state. Let alone what they're getting compared to Bama, LSU, Texas A&M etc. I'm really interested to see what he's able to do with players that aren't scraps and leftovers from his competition.

And the fact that he was able to improve the MSU defense after losing 8 starters can't be glossed over. That's a huge accomplishment.

The biggest area of concern for me with this hire is that he needs good DBs, and at least this year, we really dont have many. DB might be our worst position. OL is bad, but at least we have depth and can hope those guys make a leap forward.
Also, im a little worried about his 2nd and 3rd years. It doesnt look like his Ds improve too much yr to yr

Advertisement
Know what I've learned?

Save About 20...every other fan base in the country hates their coordinator

I love this stuff.
Since no two teams play the same schedule, traditional CFB stats could be misleading.

One thing that I don't his critics are taking into consideration is the talent he had to work with. MSU is the worst job in the SEC west and bottom 3-5 in the SEC in general. They're not getting the pick of the litter of recruits in their own state. Let alone what they're getting compared to Bama, LSU, Texas A&M etc. I'm really interested to see what he's able to do with players that aren't scraps and leftovers from his competition.

And the fact that he was able to improve the MSU defense after losing 8 starters can't be glossed over. That's a huge accomplishment.

Ole Miss has been schooling MSU in recruiting.

The biggest area of concern for me with this hire is that he needs good DBs, and at least this year, we really dont have many. DB might be our worst position. OL is bad, but at least we have depth and can hope those guys make a leap forward.
Also, im a little worried about his 2nd and 3rd years. It doesnt look like his Ds improve too much yr to yr

Our DBs coaches have a grand total of 2 years coaching experience in college, 0 in the Power 5. Feel any better?

Advertisement

Question: Can you play man under and 2 deep and still blitz the way Diaz likes too?

If you are going to run a creative, aggressive 4-3 1-gap scheme you pretty much have to have some zone blitzing concepts in your tool kit. We knew before film analysis started that Diaz was an aggressive guy who also liked to run a diverse array of concepts. It is utterly unsurprising that someone could look through his history and find stuff they don't like. How many defensive coordinators these days last 5 years at the P5 level without blemishes of some sort?

That wouldn't be what I would do. I really like Narduzzi's attack plan.

It goes into great detail here: Michigan State 3 Deep Overload Blitzes | James Light Football

I think Dynasty prefers running quarters as well behind this front.

Advertisement

That wouldn't be what I would do. I really like Narduzzi's attack plan.

It goes into great detail here: Michigan State 3 Deep Overload Blitzes | James Light Football

I think Dynasty prefers running quarters as well behind this front.

I prefer even fronts both over and under. I prefer quarters as a base coverage. From there, it is cover-0, cover-2, cover-5 (man-2), and cover-6 (1/4, 1/4, 1.2)

From cover-6, it is cover-1 and cover-3.

If you are going to run a creative, aggressive 4-3 1-gap scheme you pretty much have to have some zone blitzing concepts in your tool kit. We knew before film analysis started that Diaz was an aggressive guy who also liked to run a diverse array of concepts. It is utterly unsurprising that someone could look through his history and find stuff they don't like. How many defensive coordinators these days last 5 years at the P5 level without blemishes of some sort?

Or you could man blitz.

OR even better, you use pattern match concepts in your zone blitz, which essentially turns into man after receiver distribution.....but Diaz doesn't teach that, doesn't believe in it, thinks it's too hard to teach, despite Nick Saban's kids playing it every down.

Or you could man blitz.

OR even better, you use pattern match concepts in your zone blitz, which essentially turns into man after receiver distribution.....but Diaz doesn't teach that, doesn't believe in it, thinks it's too hard to teach, despite Nick Saban's kids playing it every down.

Is that comment hyperbole, or did he really say/write that?

Advertisement
Back