Diaz stops Wed. practice at one point for lack of effort, talks McCloud redshirt

View as article
Or Maybe the players just don’t respect Manny Díaz and have tuned him out (feel they can walk all over him) and that’s never good. Perhaps the players view him as the fun “substitute teacher”.

Kinda like when you’re in elementary or middle school and then fun younger substitute teacher comes into replace the more hard *** teacher for a few days. You’re working kinda hard but not really working hard, if you know what I mean.

Not saying it’s the case, but Just a thought since this is the second week in a row of bad practices

The commonality has been the coaches we've had have lacked the respect needed.

Advertisement
They tried this gimmick at halftime last week against Central Michigan. Instead of returning directly to the sideline the entire team went to the west end zone for sprints and calisthenics. Didn't last long but it was obviously an attempt to wake the team up after the miserable first half.

One coach after another was getting into their faces and screaming, during those drills.

Obviously not a self-motivated group right now. But that can change somewhat quickly if we run off a couple of ACC wins.

As I've emphasized, losing lends to letdowns. The sharp guys taught me that in Las Vegas. They were betting on teams to be stunned after a devastating defeat. The public somehow thought victories led to letdowns.

Once we lost the first two games then naturally the top goals cannot be met. I'm sure some of these kids based on 2017 thought we were much closer than we really are. Once we start out 0-2 for the first time in 40 years I'm not exactly shocked there is some sleepwalking going on.

THey've been doing that the entire season

I was at the UF game and they did it there

Advertisement
i don’t think it’s that, imo its pure laziness. Guys thinking they didn’t do anything wrong so it’s not on them. Look how lackluster the defense came out vs unc. You can’t tell me it didn’t look like they got the big head feeling over confident and took unc lightly. Then even in the last game with visible inconsistencies. my thing is no matter if you played good or not you lost at the end of the day, don’t pat yourself on the back and act like your sh*t doesn’t stink. We did that too often defensively last year imo and it was to the point where they thought they could do no wrong And feeling like they arrived.

Offensively we go as our oline go, if they don’t block it will be a long day. Everyone needs to play better and with more passion. There’s no reason for this to still be a thing right now with everything to play for with ACC play starting. Got to be self motivated at the end of the day.

Naw B, Imma have to agree w/ @supersaiyanshel

Reason being, we've seen this before. We saw this w/ Golden and we just saw this last year.

I mentioned before the season that I would be interested to see how this team fairs after game 1. I felt if we beat UF, we may run the tables, but if we lose to UF, I wasn't too sure where we'll be. OK, so we lost a close one, beating ourselves.

We took that L in to the bye-week (horrible time for a bye) and I continued to say how I anxious I was to see how we'll come out against UNC. If we smoke UNC, then I'll know we turned a corner, but if we come out flat, I'm going to be very worried. Just like that, UNC jumped on us. We came back, sure, only to give up a long 4th down and the game winning TD. The players looked defeated and the coaches, lost.

We come out flat against BCU, and you could feel the players just going through the motions. We started having some fun towards the end, but like one poster said, it didn't feel "good" b/c of our struggles against arguably the worst team in all of football.

Now comes CMU, and again, you just felt players going through the motions. Here's the problem as to why I feel the players don't believe in what they are doing: Tate already said before the season started he felt comfortable in SG b/c that's all he ran in HS, and tbh, OSU. Jarren felt comfortable in SG. Perry felt comfortable in SG. Yet, both Richt's and Enos' offenses have had these guys under center, a lot, yielding **** poor results. You have to imagine that the offensive guys are going, NOT AGAIN.

It may be part laziness, but definitely a big part of our problem has been coaching and a trust system that's broken.

Advertisement
Wednesday’s practice did not go well for the Miami Hurricanes.

In the midst of their bye week, head coach Manny Diaz was not satisfied with the effort being put forth from his team, so he stopped practice and engaged the team in a special drill of his own choosing.

“We were about halfway through and it was not to our standard, so we audibled, set the ball down and just played one-minute drill where the losers had ramifications,” Diaz said. “We just sat there and said, `If we’re going to be nothing else, we’re going to be competitive.’ We started not competitive, which means we still choose when to be competitive, when not to be competitive. And when I say `we’ it’s not every player, not every player on one side of the ball or the other. But there’s too many guys that ruin it for everybody. So I don’t know the last time players have ever seen that, but I think today is a day they’ll remember, think they’ll be telling future recruiting classes about today’s practice.”

After the performance that the Hurricanes’ gave in their narrow escape from Central Michigan this past weekend, it’s clear Diaz wanted to send a message to his team that playing below his standard will not be tolerated.

“Well, when you talk about changing a culture, you don’t just put posters on the wall, `Do this,’ and it just happens,” Diaz said. “It is years in the making, and it’s never easy. Human inertia is to be average and mediocre - it doesn’t just happen where, `I’m going to come here and bring my best every day.’ That is why they call us ‘Coach’, to make sure it happens. And then to build a habit.”

According to Diaz, competitive effort in practice during the week is directly tied to playing time on Saturday’s.

“You’re trying to play your most competitive guys, want to recruit the most talented, competitive guys you can find,” Diaz said.

Does Diaz feel Miami has competitive players in his locker room?

“We don’t have noncompetitive guys, our guys are competing,” Diaz said. “The difference is how often are we competing and are competing at different times.”

The ultimate goal is for the older and more experienced players on the team to take charge and find leadership within themselves to make sure the Miami standard is being upheld in all facets, even when the coaches aren’t around.

“After practice I told them, `Those of you that came here with a competitive spirit today, you could feel it because the players always know,” Diaz said. “I said `My suggestion is for you all to fix it. Because we’re going to fix it as coaches - you’re probably going to like your solution better than you like our solution.’

“The players always know the vibe and the pulse of the locker room. The players have asked for it, said `We want to police ourselves more.’ Well guess what? Here’s your badge.”

In personnel news, senior LB Zach McCloud has elected to sit out the rest of the season and take a redshirt; he will return to the team in 2020 as a redshirt senior. With only 3 games played in 2019 after sitting out for CMU, McCloud still has one game of eligibility left before burning his redshirt per NCAA rules, something that UM will save in case of emergency or for a postseason bowl game.

“Zach - he is so important to us, but he came to us with the idea (last week). He said if he was going to get limited snaps on defense and just play on special teams (he wanted to redshirt),” Diaz said. “We have another game where he can play - it’s a very similar situation to what we did a year ago with BJ Jennings and Corey Gaynor. If something were to happen catastrophically where we would need him for the longterm, he’ll be ready to go for the team. If not, just a one game situation where he needs to finish a game he can play, we have that game to play with. Otherwise, it would be amazing if we could save him for the bowl, let him play in the bowl, and then let him go next season.”

In retrospect, was it a mistake to play McCloud against a team like Bethune-Cookman and burn one of his allowable games with this plan now in place?

“It really comes down to the young man’s wishes. We weren’t going to force him to do something he didn’t want to do,” Diaz said. “(Last week was) when it presented itself to us. And you have to get a couple of games in to figure out what the rotation is going to be and where it all fits in. Like most problems, they occur when they occur and can only be solved when they need to be solved.”

DT Nesta Silvera is close to returning to full strength from foot surgery in early August and has been doing sprints at practice.

“He looks really good, has been running around,” Diaz said. “It'll be a good shot in the arm to our defense to have him back."

For UM’s incoming 2020 class, Diaz expects the bulk of it to be signed in December with multiple early enrollees coming in for spring.

“This class for whatever reason has a lot of guys that can midyear enroll,” Diaz said. “We’re only playing with 76 scholarship players right now, need some fresh reinforcements quickly.”

Hey Manny while you are stopping practice can you also stop our OC from running under center play action every passing down?

We need 85 Jimmy Murphy’s, that’s what CMU had. Forget these soft assed 4 & 5*s. And yes, Manny does talk too much - if only his talk translated to play on the field.
I wasn't commenting on Manny's talking but since you brought it up, I have not problem with what's he's said particularly about today's practice. But it doesn't always have to be done through the media. Sooner or later it begins to sound hollow.

Advertisement
That's how you end up with Robert Knowles playing 30 snaps a game... The coaches have to walk a fine line between playing guys who deserve it based on attitude and guys who have superior talent. But then again, that's what they're paid to do...

hard work is hard work. if the talented kid is being lazy, bench him and have him earn it.

I'm so happy Diaz is not standing for half-*** practices. This is the type of culture that has been around for YEARS. No wonder why we complain every year when this time underachieves.

You think Saban and Dabo have to go through practices like this. I don't think so.

That's how you end up with Robert Knowles playing 30 snaps a game... The coaches have to walk a fine line between playing guys who deserve it based on attitude and guys who have superior talent. But then again, that's what they're paid to do...
Maybe those are the guys ******* up etc patchan and knowles each had 2 big penalties each in that game along with playing bad vs a group of 5 team. That need to sit or get their spot took for the next game

Advertisement
The Disease.

When I was in the Marine Corps, if we had Marines sand-bagging and not pulling their weight, we didn't let the higher ups deal with it. We took care of business in-house. It's time some of these Jersey's with the "C" on it take the dead weight around back of the IPF and "have an understanding". Where are the leaders?

The problem is the players would be arrested for assault now for doing that. My HS football and wrestling team used to do that. Kids would literally get knocked the fvck out, but now if we even thought about doing that we would be wearing Orange jumpsuits the next day sitting in Rikers.

Whose job is it to get them to buy in?
Shanny knows full well this rhetoric buys him favor with stupid fans. Poor Shanny is stuck with a bunch of losers. He came here from Temple and was completely blindsided by all the shiftless non-competitive players on the roster.

Might take him many years for poor Shanny to fix this broken culture that he had nothing to do with.

So we have guys going half *** even after that embarrassment last Saturday?
Listening to everyone on QAM after the game, the show hosts (Buffers), coaches and players, all were patting themselves re the victory. Rashad Butler was the only one being realistic and calling out the discrepancies in the game. Not surprised by the lack of urgency or discipline.

Advertisement
Back