Diaz or Blake the problem?

Advertisement
There was no adjustments by L'ville same thing, players took bad angles. L'ville kept running stretch the roght defensive call was made players have to stay disciplined period. If u dont believe me check out post by Lance Roffers.
I did. In fact, I was going to refer you to it, including the commentary further down in the thread. Below is his comment in the overall summary (post #1)
Defensively, Miami was content to sit back, force Louisville to drive the length of the field on offense and remove their explosive plays. It worked in the first half. In the second half, Louisville moved Atwell into the slot and ran switch routes to get the coverage matchup they wanted on a safety. Louisville put the backside CB and Sin a bind with corner/out combos and we played it poorly each time. Coach Baker did not adjust on this change from Louisville and it cost them some points.
Here's another comment later in the thread when responding to a question about CB play (see post # 42).
It was the way we schemed for the game to not let Louisville get deep, rush with only four, and force the QB to make good decisions. I’m the first half it worked great.

Second half, Louisville adjusted and I wouldn’t say I liked the way we played their adjustments.
That's not to say players didn't take bad angles often. It was stated often in the game day thread we were beat right off the start just based on alignment. In an attempt to make a play, that would force players to shoot the wrong gaps, pursue bad angles, etc.

It makes sense to schematically make the right adjustments, get into proper alignment, then you can more effectively identify execution (player related) issues. He commented on that also (post # 48):
Execution in several areas and a few tweaks to the scheme is all that I really advocate for at the moment. We need the personnel to get better or new ones to come in at certain spots (LB, striker, boundary CB).

Last edited:
Advertisement
Only issue i have is constant bad alignment and run fits. 3 man front, and the classic manny blitz from palm beach that sends 2 guys into one gap and NEVER gets there. I dont thnk it has led to a sack since Manny has been here. Baker seems to call more *exotic* blitzes than Manny and also for no reason

I’m the opposite. The run game doesn’t bother me so bad because we are usually stout in that department. Generally, only truly dominant run teams can beat us like that.

I am more concerned with giving average quarterbacks too much space in the secondary.

After watching our guys getting their jerseys pulled off and the crazy non holding calls we have been getting, I can’t help but think that is a HUGE factor as to why we don’t play more coverage behind a four man rush.

Ay yo; listen....ppl on here know I don’t f w Diaz, but I’m hoping I’m going to be eating crow. These types of threads are pointless b/c we are 2-0. Now this very well could be an Al Golden version of 2013, or a Mark Richt version of 2017 or ****, even a Randy (Radio) Shannon version of 2009....but until otherwise proven, let’s just enjoy what we are seeing: a 3-0 start (I’m sure we’ll smoke FSU), with an offense that’s now in the 21st century!

Well... unfortunately they made me a Maude since then Lol. I’m good man. I hope you are staying well through all of this pandemic stuff. How do you like how things are coming together on offense? For me, WR is still not where we need to be at this point but it’s m hoping to see some of the younger guys get some burn.

Advertisement
I love the offense, I just can’t judge it until we play a real defense. I agree also on the young players getting some action though. They need it for next year. Glad to hear you are doing fine. Stay safe!! Go canes!!

Got a friend of mine that always says he never liked manny. I’m all in on manny, I tell him it’s not manny it’s baker. What you all think?
Baker never should have been given the DC job. Not the right personality and not aggressive enough. Manny stepped In many times to save his ***. Not a recruiter, is too passive and soft demeanor has to go.

I have really tried to stay away from this thread and others criticizing the D coaching.

People do have some valid points on both sides of the fence here.

I will say this though. Football sometimes is a game of inches and a few bounces of the ball here and there.

Louisville went for it on 4th down a bunch on Saturday. Those drives continuing on really skewed the offensive numbers for them in many ways.

If we could have somehow found ways to stop them the Defensive numbers would have looked a lot better along with the score being a lot more lopsided (more than likely.)

I do not believe all of it is the Coaches fault. The players have to execute and find ways to get off the field in those situations.

Advertisement
Only issue i have is constant bad alignment and run fits. 3 man front, and the classic manny blitz from palm beach that sends 2 guys into one gap and NEVER gets there. I dont thnk it has led to a sack since Manny has been here. Baker seems to call more *exotic* blitzes than Manny and also for no reason
And don't forget that blitz from Brooklyn, that the safety had to catch the D-train just to get back to the line of scrimmage!
Man, those blitzes bother me. LOL

Advertisement
Agree with the above. It seems we blitz even when we don't have to, just to blitz. Then we blitz we leave the middle wide open, and we have our corners bailing, while the blitz comes from 15 yards down field. I think Manny is a better administrator then coach. When Manny was the DC his position group was the linebackers, and to be honest I really didn't see Shaq, Pinckney, or Mac improve that much over 4 years.

Baker is horrible at calling the defense!
Fans love to play dumb when we talk on here and act like everyone is not a real fan. We all know Manny on defense and its obvious things changed when Manny took over the defense last year. Baker has a lot to learn and he's our weak link.

Advertisement
Back