Diaz is younger version of Swinney, Saban, Urban Meyer

In the three years as DC here, there's been three main things that Manny has done, on field, that I have really appreciated.

In year one, the first thing I noticed about his defense was that he did not respect quarterbacks who can't throw. No more worrying about getting beat over the top by some option quarterback who can barely complete a forward pass. He was going to come after you and make your guy complete passes out of his comfort zone. You'd think this would be a no brainer but we all remember D'Onofrio lining his guys up ten yards off the line against Georgia Tech. Hey, they might get 400 yards rushing but they are NOT beating us with that one in a million deep ball.

In year two, there were a couple of games where the defense looked out of it. We saw teams like Toledo and Virginia light up our defenders in the first half with quarterback play that seemed to make average guys look like Tom Brady. There was always some sort of mid game adjustment that would catch the opponent off guard in the second half. I honestly don't remember the last time we had a defensive coordinator that would make adjustments at half time. I don't know, Maybe Greg Schiano was the last one to do anything like that?

Year three, he saw the problems we had defending the spread and getting off the field on third down. He altered his defense (gasp! admitting what he was originally doing wasn't perfect?) and incorporated the striker position. They went from being a poor third down defense to the best in the nation.

This guy sees the problem and takes the appropriate steps to fix it. He's flexible and willing to change for the betterment of the team. He pays attention to analytics and makes calls based on logic instead of "coach instinct". If for whatever reason, he is not a successful head coach here, it will not be because he was stubborn and unwilling to alter his gameplan.

all true, good statements.

speaking of coaching on instinct. diaz doesn't have a playsheet. he reads the substitution of players, whose on the field, down and distance, situational football and then calls the play. remember d'onofrio rumbling through his play sheet ?

Advertisement
@Rellyrell @gruntking

tenor.gif

Where's the *** at tho??! LOL.

In the three years as DC here, there's been three main things that Manny has done, on field, that I have really appreciated.

In year one, the first thing I noticed about his defense was that he did not respect quarterbacks who can't throw. No more worrying about getting beat over the top by some option quarterback who can barely complete a forward pass. He was going to come after you and make your guy complete passes out of his comfort zone. You'd think this would be a no brainer but we all remember D'Onofrio lining his guys up ten yards off the line against Georgia Tech. Hey, they might get 400 yards rushing but they are NOT beating us with that one in a million deep ball.

In year two, there were a couple of games where the defense looked out of it. We saw teams like Toledo and Virginia light up our defenders in the first half with quarterback play that seemed to make average guys look like Tom Brady. There was always some sort of mid game adjustment that would catch the opponent off guard in the second half. I honestly don't remember the last time we had a defensive coordinator that would make adjustments at half time. I don't know, Maybe Greg Schiano was the last one to do anything like that?

Year three, he saw the problems we had defending the spread and getting off the field on third down. He altered his defense (gasp! admitting what he was originally doing wasn't perfect?) and incorporated the striker position. They went from being a poor third down defense to the best in the nation.

This guy sees the problem and takes the appropriate steps to fix it. He's flexible and willing to change for the betterment of the team. He pays attention to analytics and makes calls based on logic instead of "coach instinct". If for whatever reason, he is not a successful head coach here, it will not be because he was stubborn and unwilling to alter his gameplan.

THIS is one of the best posts I've read on this board.

Clemson was very close to firing Dabo after he took over. He had to beat South Carolina that first year, and even then, he was the coach of the team when "Clemsoning" became a verb. The hard part will be for people to be patient as Diaz makes mistakes, which I'm sure will happen. He's winning the offseason so far. He's undefeated but hasn't won a game either. So far, he's done everything a successful coach can do. Hopefully it continues to gamedays as well.

“Clemsoning” definitely started during the Tommy Bowden years. During that time I vividly remember harassing a few friends of mine while living in Atlanta...

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't recall Dabo, Urban, or Satan ever firing a shot across the bow of anyone the way Diaz did this weekend.

That said, I'd really like to get the season going so we see some results.
They don't have to, they win on the field. Which is what we better start doing.

Advertisement
"When longtime recruiting guru Tom Lemming was in South Florida recently to watch Manny Diaz run his first junior day as UM’s head coach, one thought kept coming to mind:

'He is a young version of Dabo Swinney, Nick Saban and Urban Meyer,” Lemming said of perhaps the three most successful college football coaches of the 21st century.'"

Advertisement
Back