Diaz and his blitzes

Advertisement
the starters were doing this, it was called early in the thread and they were out of position because the delay was 10 yards back. There were holes cause of that.......against FIU we can afford that but in ACC play they cant design blitzes like that

Isn't that basically a delayed blitz? I don't think it's unheard of to have a guy blitzing from that far out, you just have to call it when you're sure the QB needs time. I don't recall the play, but seems like that's not a bad call on 3rd and long.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN it looks worse on a still shot
no doubt there was some miscommunication on the play by the youngsters. My deal with Manny and his forever blitzes is pretty simple as it should be, and any good DC knows this i would think. You are getting pressure with your front, good pressure, why in the world would you blitze, the danger in this is, you end up with too many guys upfield, if a back breaks free there is nobody there, he will go 30-40 yards before somebody can run him down, or to the house if he's fast enough. Also your leaving the middle wide open, if the Oline can at least halfway pick it up a decent QB knows its easy picking in the middle. How many times have we seen a 3rd and long turn to 1st and 10 ? Is it ****, absolutely, if it works, but its a chance you dont have to take and a good QB will burn you, especially if they know its coming and Manny is terrible at hiding them. All of Miami's good defenses hardly ever blitzed, they didnt have to, and then when they did it was devistating. We have some real ballers on D, no need for all crazy stuff, just line up and play ball

Why was Manny " nervous/twitchy " on the podium yesterday? It seemed like he didn't want to be there. Or was it just my imagination.

Advertisement
Someday we’ll hold a team to 9 yards total for a game and some armchair DC will be on here criticizing a player for their bad angle, Diaz for calling a blitz or giving a scholly to knowles who wasn’t even in the game.

Then we’ll hear how butch never would have let that happen.

That's how he plays D. Why should he change if he is trying to get everyone versed on the scheme? I like the blitzes. I remember the Steelers used to do it all the time. Bliztes from everywhere.

no doubt there was some miscommunication on the play by the youngsters. My deal with Manny and his forever blitzes is pretty simple as it should be, and any good DC knows this i would think. You are getting pressure with your front, good pressure, why in the world would you blitze, the danger in this is, you end up with too many guys upfield, if a back breaks free there is nobody there, he will go 30-40 yards before somebody can run him down, or to the house if he's fast enough. Also your leaving the middle wide open, if the Oline can at least halfway pick it up a decent QB knows its easy picking in the middle. How many times have we seen a 3rd and long turn to 1st and 10 ? Is it ****, absolutely, if it works, but its a chance you dont have to take and a good QB will burn you, especially if they know its coming and Manny is terrible at hiding them. All of Miami's good defenses hardly ever blitzed, they didnt have to, and then when they did it was devistating. We have some real ballers on D, no need for all crazy stuff, just line up and play ball

You have to consider the game situation. I imagine Diaz wouldn’t run a crazy blitz if the front four is dominating late in a close game against a good team. This is third string in a blowout so try some ****. We should be happy knowles is last off the bench

Advertisement
That's how he plays D. Why should he change if he is trying to get everyone versed on the scheme? I like the blitzes. I remember the Steelers used to do it all the time. Bliztes from everywhere.

I’m with you bro. It’s fun to watch. I like all the different looks he throws out there. I still can’t eat Doritos.

I’m with you bro. It’s fun to watch. I like all the different looks he throws out there. I still can’t eat Doritos.
Its just like, we are not worse than teams that play conservative. And we create alot of negative plays. People only focus when the other team beat the blitz or block it. I like aggression in football.

I understand, it is fun to watch, especially when its working, its like a feeding frenzy. Its a high risk high reward thing, the other side of the coin is it leaves you wide *** open for a big play. Like i said in my post, how many times have we sat and watched a 3rd and long turn to 1st and 10 ? too many imo. A decent team with a good QB will exploit it, we got away with it last year more than we should have, this year they are prepared for it. The good thing is there are not many good teams we have to face until we hit Clemson. My whole point here is why do it if we dont have to, our front is balling, they are penetrating great, so why take unnecessary chance. This is where manny needs to learn some things, forget being a rock star and play good sound defense, he has the horses now, makes me want Randolph to come back and run the D, he is an upgrade over Manwell and I think Richt knows this

Advertisement
Different game than 25 years ago. Certainly helps when you have Outland Trophy winners and first round draft picks at linebacker. Just playing with you. That being said he is what he is. Funny thing is I was walking out telling me son. It reminded me of the West Virginia game in 1992. Miami was destroying them until we put in the two's and three's late in the 4th. WVU scored two touchdowns and made it look close.

I remember that game well, Halloween night, up 35-7 and then the Erickson recruits came in for the JJ recruited upperclassmen and it all fell apart

@MedleyCane mentioned this years ago that this is when he knew there would be real drop off in talent the following years as Johnson's guys graduated - and that's precisely what took place

Advertisement
Maybe I'm forgetting but I don't remember the Miami 4-3 featuring so many blitzes. Reason the defense is so effective is that in the base defense, the only "open" play is a perfect over the outside shoulder pass down the sidelines, which should be extremely difficult if the secondary is playing it correctly and squeezing the WR to the boundary. Not trying to pile onto Rosier, but that would be lethal to him because he doesn't have the accuracy to make that throw consistently. IMO The way Diaz calls the defense leaves way too many holes in coverage.

Maybe I'm forgetting but I don't remember the Miami 4-3 featuring so many blitzes. Reason the defense is so effective is that in the base defense, the only "open" play is a perfect over the outside shoulder pass down the sidelines, which should be extremely difficult if the secondary is playing it correctly and squeezing the WR to the boundary. Not trying to pile onto Rosier, but that would be lethal to him because he doesn't have the accuracy to make that throw consistently. IMO The way Diaz calls the defense leaves way too many holes in coverage.
We NEVER blitzed like this....Back in the day they were well disguised....
More about Gap integrity..with some stunts....Even Monkey Boy blitzed too much for my liking....Simplify your defense when your playing this much youth....

thank you sir, way to many holes, and if its v a good QB, and you dont get to him in 2 seconds he will kill you

and not only that, if a back gets lucky and pops through, you dont have much back there to stop him. We have been getting away with it though, last year i think it kinda caught some by surprise, just the speed of it, and once it got rolling it snowballed. That and the fact we have some really good athletes, much more so than our oppenants. Its just a flat F'n gamble, a gamble we dont need to take, we got the horses to just line up base 4-3 and let our athletes play football, if they mount a drive and its gaining a little momentum, blitze !!

Advertisement
Back