Diaz and his blitzes

I remember that game well, Halloween night, up 35-7 and then the Erickson recruits came in for the JJ recruited upperclassmen and it all fell apart

@MedleyCane mentioned this years ago that this is when he knew there would be real drop off in talent the following years as Johnson's guys graduated - and that's precisely what took place

Ha ha......Good memory there K9.
That same year a buddy of mine and I caught the Canes when they played up in Blacksburg.
Similar deal....Canes jumped all over a terrible VT squad, building a big lead, but then as soon as the
Erickson kids came in, VT scores something like 17 points in the 4th quarter with a walkon QB.
****ed me off.
My buddy who was not a Cane fan told me we were in trouble the next couple of years. LOL.

Advertisement
Ha ha......Good memory there K9.
That same year a buddy of mine and I caught the Canes when they played up in Blacksburg.
Similar deal....Canes jumped all over a terrible VT squad, building a big lead, but then as soon as the
Erickson kids came in, VT scores something like 17 points in the 4th quarter with a walkon QB.
****ed me off.
My buddy who was not a Cane fan told me we were in trouble the next couple of years. LOL.

I just needed to see a few throws from Frank Costa(with that terrible release of his) to understand that the QB lineage was about to come to an end)

I just needed to see a few throws from Frank Costa(with that terrible release of his) to understand that the QB lineage was about to come to an end)

Yeah, Costa and Ryan Collins logged some garbage time in that VT game.
Between those 2 cats and OLmen that couldn't move, including Zev Lumelski who could yell "look out!"
to his QB in seven different languages, one just knew that the future was bright.

We are #1 in 3rd down defense
We are #1 in tackles for loss
We are #2 in total defense

WTF are you guys *****ing about all the time? WTF do you want.... negative yards on every ******* play?

Advertisement
alot of questionable blitzes in the entire game, gogeta mentioned it and others alot too. I kept rewinding it like wtf is that, he wastes players like that it makes no sense.
Exactly. 95 times out of 100, those late blitzers won't get there. ****, most of the time they won't even get pressure on the QB. ALL it does is take away defenders that could be dropping back into coverage. Knowing our line by itself can get very good pressure, why blitz so much? I like 7 guys in coverage a lot more than 5, especially when the two missing are basically doing nothing.

We are #1 in 3rd down defense
We are #1 in tackles for loss
We are #2 in total defense

WTF are you guys *****ing about all the time? WTF do you want.... negative yards on every ******* play?
Is that so much to ask?

One thing about all these blitzes that people are complaining about, when they send players from the secondary they are sometimes blitzes. But alot of the time when the safety and LBs are in man coverage with the RBs and FBs etc, Diaz give the players the freedom to release if the player they are man up with stays in to block. That's why it seems like a delayed blitz buts it just the player releasing.

Now if the player release and they don't get there, the player who was blocking can release and become a receiver and that creates a problem.

Last edited:
Advertisement
One thing about all these blitzes that people are complaining about, when they send players from the secondary they are sometimes blitzes. But alot of the time when the safety and LBs are in man coverage with the RBs and FBs etc, Diaz give the players the freedom to release if the player they are man up with stays in to block. That's why it seems like a delayed blitz buts it just the player releasing.

Now if the player release and they don't get there, the player who was blocking can release and become and receiver and that creates a problem.

spot on bro

Now if the player release and they don't get there, the player who was blocking can release and become and receiver and that creates a problem.
They're doing it with the LBs more effectively. Saw Shaq man'd up against the RB multiple times and end up in a very delayed "blitz" because the RB stayed in to block. The concerning blitzes are some of the very telegraphed blitzes you saw LSU check away from and rip apart zone coverages (typically 3x3) behind it. Those are extremely fair concerns by those complaining because we already have significant evidence of their weaknesses. There are definitely things to be concerned about. It's just not necessary to reach for everything as an issue in order to pump the narrative. Real season begins in 4 days. Let's see what happens.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back