Desmond Phillips

Stars matter, don't kid yourself. Alabama, Fsu, osu, Clemson ain't winning with a bunch of 3stars... Signing a bunch of fringe 3star prospects to fill up a class from Miami is ok and all but this isn't fiu and it hasn't gotten us anywhere but have a lot of dead space on the roster while we wait for that "potential" to show up in college... Truth hurts but it is what it is.. This man richt knows what he's doing. He annually brought in top 5 and top 10 recruiting classes at Uga.

Advertisement
So him aside, if it were between DPhillips and Pie Young for that WR slot...which would choose?

I would have to take a closer look at Pie. I do know Phillips is faster.

True. People say we have 5 slots for WRs but I dont see this unless they

A) Dont think DMullins is getting in
B) Dont think ARichards is coming back
C) Think some of the WRs we have on roster are damaged goods. (Langham, MLewis, TBrady)

I say we take 4 and if that is the # then Phillips would have to be out. (Bruce, Mullins, Henderson, XXXX)...Henderson goes and ARichards comes..That leaves one slot for stud and maybe Richt didnt want that last slot going to a project.

Phillips should come on as a ATH but at the end of the day, this will be Richts first test in regards to gaining the trust of the recruiting fan base. If you remember, Golden first lost our "recruiting trust" when he told Skai Moore to F off..now look who has the last laugh. Lets hope Richt doesnt have the same fate.

How does he compare to Isaiah McKenzie?

Would be an interesting, given that we passed on McKenzie. Richt scooped him up and we are still regretting it.

Advertisement
Five of the Top 25 receivers in the NFL are three stars or below from South Florida. Antonio Brown, TY Hilton, John Brown, Allen Hurns and Travis Benjamin.

Only three of the Top 25 were five-star receivers.

Let richt cook man...he knows what he is doing

Nobody could be 100%.... I feel this is a mistake.... but i will see who he pulls in first..I like Phliips much better then that Pie dude

True, i just believe there is a reason behind this. Something may be in the works. Remember this isn't golden, richt is known for closing strong

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm not even questioning Phillips skill level.

But Scott and his band of dummies in that room created this situation by accepting the commitment in the first place. Idiotic.

Five of the Top 25 receivers in the NFL are three stars or below from South Florida. Antonio Brown, TY Hilton, John Brown, Allen Hurns and Travis Benjamin.

Cmon man, the amount of 5star to 3stars is extremely disportionately distributed but point taken. At the same time we got to keep getting blue chippers in the recruiting classes.

Cmon, this is misleading and you know it. There are only 25 five star prospects every year. There are way more, hundreds of three star kids. 3 five-star kids out of 25 is a 12 percent success rate. 5 three-star kids out of 300 kids is a 1.7 percent success rate.

I'm not even questioning Phillips skill level.

But Scott and his band of dummies in that room created this situation by accepting the commitment in the first place. Idiotic.

What situation? Being "committed" for a month did absolutely nothing to hurt us other than a bunch of message board people getting their panties bunched.

Advertisement
Phillips speed is overated. He has solid speed but he is not a blazer.

I wouldn't quite go this far, but I tend to agree.

Pie Young looks similarly fast and quick, but he actually plays WR.

Now Randle Jones is a different story. That one is an under-the-radar head-scratcher.

He just took a official to temple.

The days for recruiting battles with temple are over!!!!

Last edited:

Cmon, this is misleading and you know it. There are only 25 five star prospects every year. There are way more, hundreds of three star kids. 3 five-star kids out of 25 is a 12 percent success rate. 5 three-star kids out of 300 kids is a 1.7 percent success rate.

I'm not talking about three stars from across the country. I'm talking about three stars from three counties.

Is there still a bigger success rate for five star receivers? Sure. But it's pretty obvious that South Florida players (especially receivers) need to be treated differently.

Advertisement
This is entertaining. People have been so Goldenized that they are afraid to let go of some low 3 star recruit that is going to end up at Temple or Toledo. Richt doesn't want these guys. He gets top 5 classes.

Even if we don't get like replacements, he will sure want to make it strong next year. Golden filled each class with a bunch of projects. We need to get away from that mentality

Advertisement
Back