Desmond Phillips

Didn't Ryan Williams win the MVP of some postseason all star game last year after not playing all year? Where's he playing this year?

Advertisement
Here's his tape. This is against Central, American Heritage, Northwestern, Columbus and other defenses littered with Power Five athletes.

[HUDL]athlete/2704665/highlights/308808385/[/HUDL]

He's fast. Other than that nothing really impressed me in that film. Does he project Db or receiver?

Lets not forget how crazed everyone was about trayone Gray. He was the next great thing. Freak with the ball in his hands, elite playmaker. Not sure what position but you take athletes like him anyway. But he's done nothing at this point. He's too raw for RB and cannot pass guys that have always been an RB because they are close athletically and much more polished as an RB. Ideally you gets studs that have a position. Ridley, amari Cooper, cook, they were studs that play their position. And that's what allows their plus athleticism show. So I'm not super disappointed about this project player. Not doubting his talent, but we need more football players that are elite athletes. Not guys that are one but not the other...
R u serious? Choc has barely played. You can see the explosiness oozing out of him once he touches the ball. Youll see next year, When they put him in space.

Lets not forget how crazed everyone was about trayone Gray. He was the next great thing. Freak with the ball in his hands, elite playmaker. Not sure what position but you take athletes like him anyway. But he's done nothing at this point. He's too raw for RB and cannot pass guys that have always been an RB because they are close athletically and much more polished as an RB. Ideally you gets studs that have a position. Ridley, amari Cooper, cook, they were studs that play their position. And that's what allows their plus athleticism show. So I'm not super disappointed about this project player. Not doubting his talent, but we need more football players that are elite athletes. Not guys that are one but not the other...
R u serious? Choc has barely played. You can see the explosiness oozing out of him once he touches the ball. Youll see next year, When they put him in space.
But he's going to be a Jr. With virtually no impact so far. Where as yearby and Walton were able to make instant transitions. I see the flashes, but I also see him on the sidelines. If the new coach has a different plan I'm willing to wait. And there have been plenty of players over the years that guys on here have gone all crazy over and they turned into projects that never panned out.

Advertisement
But he's going to be a Jr. With virtually no impact so far. Where as yearby and Walton were able to make instant transitions. I see the flashes, but I also see him on the sidelines. If the new coach has a different plan I'm willing to wait. And there have been plenty of players over the years that guys on here have gone all crazy over and they turned into projects that never panned out.

You see that's how dumb this staff was. He is going to be a junior when he should be a rs soph. U can't base anything off what has went on the last 10 years. Incompetence on top of incompetence. You can't gauge anything when we saw Crawford out there while Deon Bush was on the sidelines on a regular basis. I would definitely take phillips rs him and c what my needs are at wr and db. U can't teach speed. Or would u rather have some more a highly ranked Crawfords who are slow as sht.

You see that's how dumb this staff was. He is going to be a junior when he should be a rs soph. U can't base anything off what has went on the last 10 years. Incompetence on top of incompetence. You can't gauge anything when we saw Crawford out there while Deon Bush was on the sidelines on a regular basis. I would definitely take phillips rs him and c what my needs are at wr and db. U can't teach speed. Or would u rather have some more a highly ranked Crawfords who are slow as sht.
Funny enough, Crawford was one of those "football players" from sofla that you have to have. Funny you use him as an example. This kid could more than likely be him as any of the aforementioned sofla guys that are already pros....

Funny enough, Crawford was one of those "football players" from sofla that you have to have. Funny you use him as an example. This kid could more than likely be him as any of the aforementioned sofla guys that are already pros....

Difference between the Crawford and Phillips:

1. Phillips is athletic and fast. Ran the 100m in the 10s a junior. He's actually better at making people miss, which you don't often see on a kid with elite speed. Crawford ran around 5.0 as a 5th year college senior.

2. Different levels of competition. Phillips made plays against teams that had both defenses with plenty of BCS prospects and they were well coached. He was also Jackson's only legit threat on offense and was the most explosive player on the field in what is easily Florida's toughest district.

Advertisement
Dallas Crawford played very good competition. Speed is the only real difference

I disagree

Phillips played against: AHP, Hallandale, Columbus, Coconut Creek, Central, Booker T and MNW. That group includes state champions, semi-finalist, and nationally ranked teams.

Crawford played against: a Naples team that beat no one, and an alright Norland team that lost to Belen and got destroyed in the state title game.

I suppose. But dmoney says sofla three stars are worth the take right? I'm just saying there's no guarantee. And kids like him come up every yr. Low rates, super athletic,not many offers, but we should take. Then guys bash the staff for all these projects. My point is there's a lot of risk taking a kid like this who your already projecting his position switch. That all I'm saying.

Advertisement
I suppose. But dmoney says sofla three stars are worth the take right?

You can't take every South Florida three star. There are too many of them. But guys with exceptional athletic ability who dominate elite competition, like Phillips, are the ones to target.

You can't take every South Florida three star. There are too many of them. But guys with exceptional athletic ability who dominate elite competition, like Phillips, are the ones to target.

I can't think of any of those in the past 15 years that have been busts.

I'm interested in seeing if someone could list a few kids that have your criteria and have been busts at the collegiate level.

I can't think of any of those in the past 15 years that have been busts.

I'm interested in seeing if someone could list a few kids that have your criteria and have been busts at the collegiate level.

Trayone Gray

Advertisement
My point is, if we pull the kind of WR talent we are possibly looking at, where does this kid fit in? When we recruit like we should we will get plenty of studs and they will not be three star types that we steal from Syracuse, or Temple. A kid like this will go there and do well because he will be the focus. Here he will be just another guy, trying to surpass guys that have been playing the position their whole life. Who already use their hands to catch, and know how to break in and out of routes etc. Which is why some of the athletes just disappear when they come here.

By no means am I knocking this kid, but saying its more of a sure thing when you get a fast kid that is already a wr. And if the new coach has a couple of guys he has already been targeting then I am ok with him taking those guys instead.

There are too many kids from sofla to track them all. But of course its easy to look at the successes that are in the NFL. But just look at the shear numbers of kids from sofla getting D1 offers and its obvious that there are a LOT that are not panning out.

Phillips I am upset about decommiting. Where will it make me ok? Bringing back Richards.

Phillips what he did with his legs against THE BEST defensive competition in the dade/broward area was ridiculous. You find a spot for him and figure out when he gets in.

I can list off the teams, the best defenses in the area and he lit them up.

There is certain projects you take and certain ones you don't. Golden took a lot that you shouldn't but this is one where you make room for 1-2 of guys like him a year. The tools are there with this one, just comes down to who coaches him.

There are just bound to be some kids "lost in the shuffle". It is the nature of the transition. It is 2-3 years down the road that these types of kids can't slip through the cracks.

Its a lot different when you are the quarterback tearing up a defense. Your the only guy not accounted for. Why was Tebow so amazing? well, once you throw the rb in front of him its and unaccounted for blocker. That is with elite defensive players on the other side of the ball. Now take that same style and throw it into high school and its even more of a difference. Same thing with Trayone Gray. Kids a STUD. You can see it. I agree. However, he is going to struggle to find PT with the level of guys we have and are bringing in. When you have polished players it makes it that much harder for a project to come through. However, at a smaller school they will force him into action and it may pay off and he becomes a stud. He is actually better off leaving IMO.

If we land the WR we are looking at this year, and then land the Greene, Gamble and say Grimes. At what point do you think he will be able to surpass those guys? Guys similarly talented but have been WR all their lives. So, if we take him just so he does not blow up somewhere else is that best for the kid? I just think it would be better for him to be a Macgarrett Kings at MSU. Perfect example of a kid that probably would not have seen the field here. Plenty talented, but would he have stuck out from the guys we already have? I doubt it.

I can understand the respect for the kids game. And I agree, that there are some kids that you should take a flier on. But if the new coach does not think so, I am willing to not sit here prior to one full class and already start playing armchair recruiting expert. If coach wants him, then I think he should take him. If not, then its ok with me. There will ALWAYS be kids we miss. Its the nature of there being that much talent in sofla.

Advertisement
Back