DeShawn Troutman, LB Orlando Edgewater ('21)

Are you trying to put taking a S and moving him to Backer in the same category as taking a DE and moving him to Backer?

Ryan Shazier was a DE all throughout high school.

Some high school programs don't have TRUE Defensive Ends on their roster, and often put their most athletic guy on the edge.

You recruit ATHLETES. Most guys have to be taught/coached all over again once they get to college anyway.
If you start over-analyzing what they did in HS you'll start to sound like D'Onofrio and Golden.

Advertisement
Ryan Shazier was a DE all throughout high school.

Some high school programs don't have TRUE Defensive Ends on their roster, and often put their most athletic guy on the edge.

You recruit ATHLETES. Most guys have to be taught/coached all over again once they get to college anyway.
If you start over-analyzing what they did in HS you'll start to sound like D'Onofrio and Golden.
I know...just go through the thread. I think you might get a laugh.

Y’all keep in mind playing ILB is about mindset as well. Troutman, has that mindset. By the time he gets to Miami campus I say he’s a legit, 6’1 215. Vilma (Not comparing him to Vilma) came to Miami at 180’s and balled because of his mindset. Troutman is a good prospect.
True.

I'm looking for ultra aggressive guys who PLAY FORWARD...in the backfield...quick diagnosis...shooting gaps. And they STRIKE!

Any kid who's gonna be a legit P5 Linebacker should be running through ball carriers on the high school level, not just making tackles. He should be an alpha dog.

Advertisement
This young man is the one any program wants to represent it. Good football player. Hard worker off the field. How many of these 5 star prima donnas would consider working on a farm 6 days a week while going to school? ****, how many high school kids at all work this hard. Hard workers pay off more than anything else because if that is in you, then it is in you.
Troutman is the type that will be a captain one day, and will be successful in life, whatever he chooses to do for a living.

Advertisement
Nothing if we’re talking about edge guys. I’m not a fan of taking edge guys and telling them to play in space especially if we don’t know how athletic they are. Nothing against him, just the staff.

I share some of those concerns...But I think the staff has a pulse on how athletic he is?

I share some of those concerns...But I think the staff has a pulse on how athletic he is?
That still doesn’t mean he can ever play in coverage. At least Poole was a safety so I’d didn’t have those concerns and Troutman was a legit 4-3 backer. You gotta trust that your LBs are comfortable in coverage.

That still doesn’t mean he can ever play in coverage. At least Poole was a safety so I’d didn’t have those concerns and Troutman was a legit 4-3 backer. You gotta trust that your LBs are comfortable in coverage.

I share your concerns with HS DE, but it doesn't mean it can't be done...And also I'm not quite sure Hood's "coverage skills" or "understanding of coverage" will translate...He is basically running at people and destroying them as a safety. Not saying they won't, but definitely don't think it's a lock. One thing they probably like is Hammett is rangy, Poole is not...ranginess/length comes in handy in coverage.

Obv they are apples to oranges, build wise. Just talking about each's potential coverage ability.

And with the kid being 16, they may actually see him as 50/50 possible LB or DE. So they figure he is a good enough prospect at either depending how he grows.

Advertisement
So I assume we are done at LB then with tres

I still think/hope they take C.Smith as an ATH who can end up at striker/lb...They'd make room for James Williams in same capacity. Also if Hammett shows to project more to DE...Maybe they reach out to someone like Zbrod's boy Jordan Poole.

Other than that, as long as Tyler Johnson stays on the football field, seems like we've filled needs and they are probably happy with what they got.

Advertisement
I share your concerns with HS DE, but it doesn't mean it can't be done...And also I'm not quite sure Hood's "coverage skills" or "understanding of coverage" will translate...He is basically running at people and destroying them as a safety. Not saying they won't, but definitely don't think it's a lock. One thing they probably like is Hammett is rangy, Poole is not...ranginess/length comes in handy in coverage.

Obv they are apples to oranges, build wise. Just talking about each's potential coverage ability.

And with the kid being 16, they may actually see him as 50/50 possible LB or DE. So they figure he is a good enough prospect at either depending how he grows.
That’s true about Hammett. He’s a longer guy. I’m just not a big fan of it. I would rather shoot my shot with the Hattley kid I brought up then try to convert an edge. The percentages are just better. You’re also right on Poole as well.

I still think/hope they take C.Smith as an ATH who can end up at striker/lb...They'd make room for James Williams in same capacity. Also if Hammett shows to project more to DE...Maybe they reach out to someone like Zbrod's boy Jordan Poole.

Other than that, as long as Tyler Johnson stays on the football field, seems like we've filled needs and they are probably happy with what they got.
With Jennings and Steed struggling to stay healthy, they might transfer or retire after this year so taking 3-4 lbs doesn’t sound too bad.

One thing I can say is I’m not thrilled about a kid that can’t stay off the suspension list like Tyler.

Advertisement
Back