DeShawn Troutman, LB Orlando Edgewater ('21)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater High School S/LB Deshawn Troutman isn’t your average student-athlete.

For one thing, when there’s a break from school you’ll find him on a nearby farm working.

“I’m working six days a week, Saturdays too,” Troutman said.

Virus or no virus, he has to help his family.

“I’m working up here, we pack potatoes, stack them on pallets, load trucks - it’s a workout,” he told us while taking a short break during his workday.

During football season, when there's no time for stacking potatoes, you’ll find Troutman working at an area car wash on the weekends.

Troutman’s also unusual in that, despite honing in on 20 scholarship offers, he’s not rushing anything. He hasn’t narrowed down his list and says he’s not even sure yet what schools he’s most interested in. He rattles off some of his offers: Miami, which he landed in January, as well as Louisville, Florida State, Minnesota, Kansas and FAU.

There were no spring visits planned and Troutman says he doesn’t think he’ll have an idea where he’s going to wind up until close to signing day.

What he does know: Miami will be in it to the end.

“That’s my hometown (he lived in Miami until ninth grade),” Troutman said. “That’s a school I’ve been rooting for my whole life. They’re definitely an option to the end.”

Troutman says he’s texting with Cane coaches “all the time.”

“I get a cool, chill vibe from them,” he says. “It feels like home there. I basically grew up there, know the campus front and back.”

Advertisement
Orlando (Fla.) Edgewater High School S/LB Deshawn Troutman isn’t your average student-athlete.

For one thing, when there’s a break from school you’ll find him on a nearby farm working.

“I’m working six days a week, Saturdays too,” Troutman said.

Virus or no virus, he has to help his family.

“I’m working up here, we pack potatoes, stack them on pallets, load trucks - it’s a workout,” he told us while taking a short break during his workday.

During football season, when there's no time for stacking potatoes, you’ll find Troutman working at an area car wash on the weekends.

Troutman’s also unusual in that, despite honing in on 20 scholarship offers, he’s not rushing anything. He hasn’t narrowed down his list and says he’s not even sure yet what schools he’s most interested in. He rattles off some of his offers: Miami, which he landed in January, as well as Louisville, Florida State, Minnesota, Kansas and FAU.

There were no spring visits planned and Troutman says he doesn’t think he’ll have an idea where he’s going to wind up until close to signing day.

What he does know: Miami will be in it to the end.

“That’s my hometown (he lived in Miami until ninth grade),” Troutman said. “That’s a school I’ve been rooting for my whole life. They’re definitely an option to the end.”

Troutman says he’s texting with Cane coaches “all the time.”

“I get a cool, chill vibe from them,” he says. “It feels like home there. I basically grew up there, know the campus front and back.”

Good insight on a hard working young man, maybe there is a package deal to be had with 2021 ATH Christian Leary who is also at Edgewater HS in Orlando,Fl.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Like this kid a lot but idk where he fits in. Don’t see Miami taking 4 LBs in the same class where they’ll likely sign 4-5 OL or DBs

Advertisement
Back