Deshawn Troutman commits to the U

Advertisement
'Fast and violent...'

UM+MEDIA+DAY+mdb+epf.JPG

Troutman has committed to coaches on Wednesday night, choosing UM over Florida State, Louisville (where his brother Trenell Troutman is a junior) and Minnesota.

“Miami’s my hometown, I’ve grown up there, I grew up loving the Hurricanes," said Troutman, who moved grew up playing at South Kendall and Richmond Heights in the Miami area before moving to Orlando as a ninth-grader. "That’s a school I’ve been rooting for my whole life ... It’s always been a dream for me."

A 6-1, 205-pounder Troutman plays mainly linebacker but also some defensive end in high school, and he's landed close to 20 offers during this cycle.

The Canes are taking him as a middle linebacker prospect, and some also have projected him as a safety.

And an interesting aside - at different times during the year he works on a potato farm with his uncle - when there they work seven days a week from 8 a.m. some days until as late as 11 at night.

“Basically we do whatever needs to be done, out in the back, packing them, whatever their needs are," Troutman said.

Now he'll be filling a need for the Canes at a linebacker spot that will need talent ... and have a chance to play right away ... in his class.

Helping land him: Solid recruiting work from Blake Baker and the rest of the Cane assistants - Troutman has regular group Zoom calls with them.

“I get a cool, chill vibe from them,” he says. “It feels like home there. I basically grew up there, know the campus front and back.”

Last edited:
Advertisement
Troutman has committed to coaches on Wednesday night, choosing UM over Florida State, Louisville (where his brother Trenell Troutman is a junior) and Minnesota.

“Miami’s my hometown, I’ve grown up there, I grew up loving the Hurricanes," said Troutman, who moved grew up playing at South Kendall and Richmond Heights in the Miami area before moving to Orlando as a ninth-grader. "That’s a school I’ve been rooting for my whole life ... It’s always been a dream for me."

A 6-1, 205-pounder Troutman plays mainly linebacker but also some defensive end in high school, and he's landed close to 20 offers during this cycle.

The Canes are taking him as a middle linebacker prospect, and some also have projected him as a safety.

And an interesting aside - at different times during the year he works on a potato farm with his uncle - when there they work seven days a week from 8 a.m. some days until as late as 11 at night.

“Basically we do whatever needs to be done, out in the back, packing them, whatever their needs are," Troutman said.

Now he'll be filling a need for the Canes at a linebacker spot that will need talent ... and have a chance to play right away ... in his class.

Helping land him: Solid recruiting work from Blake James and the rest of the Cane assistants - Troutman has regular group Zoom calls with them.

“I get a cool, chill vibe from them,” he says. “It feels like home there. I basically grew up there, know the campus front and back.”

Interesting - Blake James already a better recruiter thank Baker and Patke

Helping land him: Solid recruiting work from Blake James and the rest of the Cane assistants - Troutman has regular group Zoom calls with them.

Blake stepping up for Patke, huh?

Advertisement
Tackling Machine, with very good diagnosis ability, quick feet & can thump.

And I like the fact he's got some edge to him, he's definitely a tough kid. I don't mind my LB's being a little hot tempered, our Defense could use a kid who's passionate & aggressive.

Mike LB all day, don't think he's a day 1 starter but can play down the line once he bulks up more in the S&C.

Welcome to the U!!!

You touched on something that will go over many heads. JJ and Butch recruited kids who played with passion and aggressiveness. Mix that with championships and you have that Miami swagger. I can’t stress it enough how we recruited poorly throughout the years with kids who go through the motions. With the exception of a few, the majority of this team is soft. In their Defense, so are our coaches.

@dsddcane would you agree?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Tackling Machine, with very good diagnosis ability, quick feet & can thump.

And I like the fact he's got some edge to him, he's definitely a tough kid. I don't mind my LB's being a little hot tempered, our Defense could use a kid who's passionate & aggressive.

Mike LB all day, don't think he's a day 1 starter but can play down the line once he bulks up more in the S&C.

Welcome to the U!!!
I like the assessment. i would add that he plays under control for having an edge and he doesn't get trapped in the wash a lot. Now this is a highlight tape of course, but i base the wash comment on his ability to diagnose and his fluid movement.

I disagree with the MLB. I think he would play Pincks position, but with the way this kid can diagnose a play i can see him at MLB. Just my opinion that he would fit best as the off will backer.

Yea calls plays like 4th and 17 right?! Smh 🤢🤮

I really can't believe why so many fans continue to talk about this one bad play call. It's literally just one play out of a thousand. Every DC in college football will call a ton of bad plays every season! Our defense put us in position to win every game last season outside maybe Virginia Tech. It was good enough for a 10 Win season if we had a half decent Offense. Considering our talent level on defense we were pretty solid.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back