Derrick Henry's Miami Recruitment

This is why, I stand firm with MIAMI adding more NFL experience guys on their staff.. Coach's who have been fired from NFL staff's shouldn't be a negative thing when it comes to hiring better staff members for Miami football program!! MIAMI needs coach's that can identify TALENTED FOOTBALL PLAYER'S.. Too many times coach's on Miami staff have refused a HS player from coming to Miami, just to watch them years later become a NFL baller, BOTTOM LINE MIAMI NEEDS BETTER TALENT PICKERS..
The best we ever had as evaluators had no NFL experience when they came in: JJ and Burch.

Advertisement
You mean Brandon Jacobs? That was my boy. He played in 10+ games for 8 seasons with my Giants. I would say thats fairly durable for a bigger back. I bet Henry could do the same.
Yulee isn’t in the panhandle, it’s just outside of Jacksonville.
You're right. Back when he was a senior, I thought it was panhandle.

More recently, I found out it's near Jacksonville.

Maybe they moved it after Henry graduated.....

You never know....

I mentioned this in another thread last week, but most don't know that Henry and Tannehill are both free agents and the Titans can only use the franchise tag on one. Since they don't want to sign Tannehill to a longterm deal and want him to prove this year isn't a fluke, odds are they tag Tannehill and Henry is then an UFA who the Dolphins may be interested in.

Advertisement
Of all the things wrong with our program these two are at the top of the list. Player evaluation and player development.

Absolutely.
Oh and wait.....I don’t mean to switch gears, but it’s kinda along the same lines:

while I was researching something, came across an article in which Diaz said Lo should be looking at getting carries against UNC. We played UNC in week 2....Lo got zero burn. So along w the Zo story, this story w Lo is head scratching too.

His ***n OL is ***n...i see not much talk about that but dude is running through holes the size of a Kardashian

I tried to agree at this comment & laugh. Lol. His OL is not getting the love they deserve though, like u said.

Advertisement
This one's not just on Miami. Major programs and recruiters, and recruiting analysts around the country felt the same way. Turns out Henry proved them all wrong.

I think u’re missing the point:

Miami was built off talent evaluations. We picked up the lil LB in the backwoods named Ray Lewis. Had a TE who turned into a beast of a DT in Warren Sapp. The 2 star guy in gumbo town who became an all time great in Ed Reed. A guy who loved The RB position who would’ve become a Demi God safety in ST26. The Kid from Gainesville who was looked over by the home town school in Clinton Portis. Just a few examples.

That’s what used to set us apart from the others. I will never compare what other schools do compared to us. We were trend setters, not followers. Our talent eval and development has been **** poor.

His ***n OL is ***n...i see not much talk about that but dude is running through holes the size of a Kardashian

Very much so. They were playing like trash earlier in the season but Lewan was suspended for the first 4 games and the it took time for him and Saffold to gel. Plus RG was a revolving door until 3rd round rookie Nate Davis got healthy and up to speed. Also having a legit passing threat at QB changed the offense big time. The OL still isn’t the best pass blocking OL but they’re bullies in the run game. Still no DB or even LBs want to see Henry in the open field.

Saying it for years....our player development, our player evaluation....both have gone to chit. We went from coaches who had eye for talent, and putting players in the best possible position to maximize their talents, to guys who say "a football player is a football player....speed is not a prerequisite of a football player."

FML man.
Look at our staff. It’s a who’s who of nobodies.

Advertisement
Respectfully, who gives a s*** what he did, or does, in the NFL? That isn't pertinent to his recruitment whiff by Miami. He went to Alabama and won the Heisman trophy. This was a gigantic whiff for anyone who thought this kid was a tight end or linebacker. Dude was elite in college. We've gone from having elite guys at every level, to having a few who are excited to make a second contract

This one's not just on Miami. Major programs and recruiters, and recruiting analysts around the country felt the same way. Turns out Henry proved them all wrong.
To be honest I still look and Henry and remain amazed.

He doesn't have that 'RB look'. Although he's obviously strong as an ox his build doesn't scream RB.

He's absolutely off the charts, and now that he's figured out how to be an NFL back, and his teams went all in on him, he's going to have an unbelievable career

Advertisement
Not just after the fact.

He was one of the top RBs in the country and from Florida.

But I don't recall hearing a peep about us recruiting him.

He had piles of offers.

Not sure who we took that year at RB.

It's easy after the fact. HENRY is A **** of a player. Everthing is great for him. Low key, no hot head and great person overall. Love his attitude.

The best we ever had as evaluators had no NFL experience when they came in: JJ and Burch.
Evaluating HS kids doesn’t require nfl experience and not sure it’s actually directly relevant, though great evaluators can do it in the nfl also, and maybe these days the nfl’s eval capabilities are state of the art. But seeing what a 16 year old can become is different from seeing how a 23 year old will do in the league, imo.

Evaluating HS kids doesn’t require nfl experience and not sure it’s actually directly relevant, though great evaluators can do it in the nfl also, and maybe these days the nfl’s eval capabilities are state of the art. But seeing what a 16 year old can become is different from seeing how a 23 year old will do in the league, imo.
Yeah. I’m no genius, but I’d think a measurable test acts a screen and then eyes and know how filters the athletes from the footballers.

Guys been in the league for 4 years and gave plenty of reason for people to doubt he was a generational talent the first two, even 3rd year was good not exceptional.

2016 490 yds 4.4 ypc 5TDs
2017 740 yds 4.2 ypc 5TDs just behind Orleans Darkwa, Billal Powel, Lagarete Blount but less ypc
2018 1060 yds 4.9 ypc 12 TDs getting there.. still behind Joe Mixon and Chris Carson, solid ypc
2019 1540 yds 5.0ypc 16TDs obvious stud..

Advertisement
Back