Derrick Henry's Miami Recruitment

Madabs

Sophomore
Ramsay gets worked up about it to this day. His voice rises a little at the absurdity it all. Terry Richardson, then the running backs coach at Miami, visited Yulee High School to recruit Henry. Watching the tape for a minute he turned to Ramsay and said, “I just don’t see it.”

“Then he gave me this, you’re-an-idiot look when I said he’d play running back,” Ramsay said. “You don’t want to get into it with those guys yelling and screaming. But it’s like: ‘You know what man, maybe this is why you got fired.’ Maybe if you took him as a running back, he would’ve been interested in wanting to come there.”

Advertisement
I remember the recruitment, most of us thought it was the classic Bama rope a dope, where they told him he could play RB and then move him to TE or EDGE as soon as he got on campus.

As I recall, Georgia came in late and almost snagged him.

I remember the recruitment, most of us thought it was the classic Bama rope a dope, where they told him he could play RB and then move him to TE or EDGE as soon as he got on campus.

As I recall, Georgia came in late and almost snagged him.

He was actually committed to UGA initially, Bama took him from them.

Anyway, not surprised ...

Advertisement
Saying it for years....our player development, our player evaluation....both have gone to chit. We went from coaches who had eye for talent, and putting players in the best possible position to maximize their talents, to guys who say "a football player is a football player....speed is not a prerequisite of a football player."

FML man.

This one's not just on Miami. Major programs and recruiters, and recruiting analysts around the country felt the same way. Turns out Henry proved them all wrong.
Despite this article, and his recent championship, Ramsay is a ******* corch.

Advertisement
This is why, I stand firm with MIAMI adding more NFL experience guys on their staff.. Coach's who have been fired from NFL staff's shouldn't be a negative thing when it comes to hiring better staff members for Miami football program!! MIAMI needs coach's that can identify TALENTED FOOTBALL PLAYER'S.. Too many times coach's on Miami staff have refused a HS player from coming to Miami, just to watch them years later become a NFL baller, BOTTOM LINE MIAMI NEEDS BETTER TALENT PICKERS..

There is a reason there a so many busts when it comes to american football; Especially when they make the jump from high school to college / And then the jump from college to the pros. And then you take into account the amount of collegiate players that are allowed to be televised to the public that a nfl team selected a individual in just a seven round format.

American football & professional sports for that matter requires the most athleticism out of any other job where they show these men & women on television screens. And its the jealous or literally just the "Narcissists" that tell these individuals to stay in their lane aka just play a game. But they're glorified couch potatoes - especially the one's who never were good enough to play on a division one team; That had a chance to play in front of a nationally televised screening / Prime time tv slots. I don't see or hear anyone telling these political/weather men etc etc; For the media pundits to stay in their lane. No one thought trump would even be the candidate to represent = build a wall / trump himself is a racist.. Let alone win the role of puppet the executive decision signature maker. All I see are insecure front running fan boys, and its the year 2020 aka grow up.

It used to be thirty rounds; But that was before they allowed each man to switch teams to seek a higher paycheck. But after the league finally allowed free agency - The draft was reduced to just eight rounds as retaliation.. And after the big business [nfl] forced a salary cap in the same off season they suddenly adopted the seven round draft format that has turned into the four day reality tv event that it is today [2020].

If the nfl owners are willing to hand out millions of dollars all at once to hire the same old faces. Even though just as recently last off season [2019] and before; All these big business bosses just hire dudes with more - losses then they have wins on their resume. And it stays the same each time the head coaches get another chance. In the college system its the same exact thing - Just a capitalist monopoly big business.

Larry Coker was more akin to Phil Jackson; In that they were good at managing the stars of the game. Phil Jackson had Michael Jordan.. And then you throw in Scottie Pippen who still today is considered a all-time defensive player for the position he predominantly played. Dennis Rodman was the perfect type of player to defend Karl Malone - & Chicago beat the Jazz in two straight nba finals to help cement Michael Jordan as the best to ever play in the nba. And anyone who is honest knows if it wasn't for his time in minor league baseball. He and the Chicago Bulls would have seven championships in a row.

Advertisement
it's SOOOO hard to think outside the box.

If there is one thing I hate, it's the SPARQ kids. If you ball, you ball. It's that simple.
Literally.

Lamar Jackson was able to complete touchdown after touchdown to keep the score close with - Florida State and Clemson; Jameis Winston was the number overall pick and Deshaun Watson was the taken number 12 overall in the first round. Lamar Jackson was the last player taken in the first round even though he showed he knows how to elevate his own playing ability to keep the games close - against two different teams. And they both year in and year out always recruit more star power - still this past off season too.

It will be interesting to see how long Henry lasts. A lot of big backs wear out after a few years. Remember Brandon Washington for the NYG?

Still, Miami should have recruited him and let him star his career as running back.

Advertisement
This one's not just on Miami. Major programs and recruiters, and recruiting analysts around the country felt the same way. Turns out Henry proved them all wrong.

Exactly. All revisionist history now as another way to smear the program.

Read the rest of the article.

Urban Meyer and Florida passed on him as a running back, too—feeling that he was made to be a defensive player—despite the kid worshipping at the altar of Tebow and showing interest in the Gators.

Even ESPN recruiting expert Tom Luginbill said on a conference call Ramsey was on, "You know he's not going to play running back, come on man."

45th pick of the Draft—second rounder who a lot of teams passed on—and a pre-draft article trashed his footwork because he tripped in rookie minicamps.

But yeah, let's create a narrative that it was only a long-gone Miami assistant who didn't have the vision to see Henry as a top-flight running back.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back