Derrick Griffin

Advertisement
Listening in to Caneshades. Dude says he's eligible to play this year!

And said he would commit if offered.

Commit to who?

Miami. But our sorry coaches haven't contacted him yet.
really. a kid that has took two years trying to get eligible and you want to burn a scholly hoping he will make it here. i rather save them for someone from the 16 class.

Uhhhh, he's eligible immediately and can start fall camp with 4 yrs of eligibility left. Absolutely you bring in this beast, who worked hard over that two year span to become eligible.

Commit to who?

Miami. But our sorry coaches haven't contacted him yet.
really. a kid that has took two years trying to get eligible and you want to burn a scholly hoping he will make it here. i rather save them for someone from the 16 class.

i would take him because he didnt give up. he fought for 2 years to get eligible.

Unfortunately Derrick Griffin might not meet the ACC transfer rule requirements of having earned at least 48 credits and spent 3 semesters ( not including summers) at the school he is transferring from.

Here is link to the rules from the ACC Bylaws Section VI-1
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/acc/genrel/auto_pdf/ACCEligibilityRules.pdf

Taken directly from the 2014 ACC Manual Page 29
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/bc/genrel/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/ACCManual1314.pdf
A nonqualifier who transfers to a Conference institution from a four-year college outside the Conference must, in addition to meeting all NCAA rules regarding such transfers, have satisfactorily completed 48 semester or 72 quarter hours with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 on transferable degree credit acceptable toward any baccalaureate degree program at the certifying
institution, and have attended the immediately preceding four-year college as a full-time student for at least three semesters or four quarters (excluding summer terms) in order to be eligible for competition, practice, and athletically related financial aid. (Revised: October 2007)

There is an exception clause to this rule that has been changed apparently(as of the 2014 publication) to remove the 2/3 thirds of conference school voting approval of the exception. This could benefit Miami greatly because Griffin has put in a lot of work to become eligible and just as importantly he paid out of pocket which shoes commitment.

Upon written application and good cause shown, the faculty representatives, acting as a committee of the whole, shall have the authority to grant exceptions to this rule based on objective evidence that demonstrates circumstances which warrant the waiver of the normal application of this rule (e.g., the student’s overall academic record, whether the student was recruited by the institution). A written summary of the faculty athletics representatives’ decision will be distributed to all Conference members and kept on file in the Conference office.

Texas A&M might be out also because the SEC has a similar transfer Rule SEC Bylaw 14.5.5.6
knoxblogs.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2013/12/Constitution.pdf

But then again these rules apply to students on scholarship or under a NLI an Griffen's people are saying he paid his own way so these rules may not apply to him. Which I hope is the case.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement

He didn't say he would commit he said "yeah, it CAN happen" meaning it could happen. I could become president that doesn't mean its going to happen.

This kids first choice out of highschool was to play at A&M, when the coaches there figured out he wouldn't be eligible they resented the offer. So only after that point did UM get involved and he decided to commit here. So IF he has both as an option I'm thinking he is going to pick A&M because it has always been his first choice.

Notice, he denied not knowing about the article that said that A&M was his first choice. He never denied it was his first choice just that he had no knowledge of the article.

But the question remains, are both schools interested and should UM be interested. Right now he is trying to drum up as much interest as he can get to give himself options. But any kid that takes 2 years to become eligible, when it should have taken him one year max, raises the question of how bad does this kid want it and will he be able to stay eligible once enrolled.

So should UM be interested? I definitely think he is an intriguing talent. But how is this going to affect the TE/WR recruits of the 2016 class like Evan Hinson, that you have less questions about, if Griffin ends up somehow signing here.

Last edited:

He didn't say he would commit he said "yeah, it CAN happen" meaning it could happen. I could become president that doesn't mean its going to happen.

This kids first choice out of highschool was to play at A&M, when the coaches there figured out he wouldn't be eligible they resented the offer. So only after that point did UM get involved and he decided to commit here. So IF he has both as an option I'm thinking he is going to pick A&M because it has always been his first choice.

Notice, he denied not knowing about the article that said that A&M was his first choice. He never denied it was his first choice just that he had no knowledge of the article.

But the question remains, are both schools interested and should UM be interested. Right now he is trying to drum up as much interest as he can get to give himself options. But any kid that take 2 years to become eligible, when it should have taken him one year max, raises the question of how bad does this kid want it and will he be able to stay eligible once enrolled.

So should UM be interested? I definitely think he is an intriguing talent. But how is this going to affect the TE/WR recruits of the 2016 class like Evan Hinson, that you have less questions about, if Griffin ends up somehow signing here.

He was flat out asked and he said YES. Later they asked him of he had any message to Cane fans and he said I can't wait to be a Cane or I'm ready to be a Cane and let's do this. Listen closely.

I'll take him. Him and Caher would truly be twin towers..Griffin really high points the ball, and working with Kevin beard would be great. I think he needs to be out of Texas and he would flourish with um. Hurlie needs to be back on him and he should be here by early summer imo

Advertisement

But the question remains, are both schools interested and should UM be interested. Right now he is trying to drum up as much interest as he can get to give himself options. But any kid that take 2 years to become eligible, when it should have taken him one year max, raises the question of how bad does this kid want it and will he be able to stay eligible once enrolled.

He was flat out asked and he said YES. Later they asked him of he had any message to Cane fans and he said I can't wait to be a Cane or I'm ready to be a Cane and let's do this. Listen closely.

Go back and listen to the interview. The interview starts at the 30:08 mark.

http://www.spreaker.com/user/offsidessportsradio/hinson-griffin-ar15-byrd-mullins

Is he still planning on playing basketball too? Just let Larrañaga handle it, if so. I envision some scenario where he actually does want to come after we (re)offer and then football somehow through admissions delays the processing for a few days and then A&M or someone jumps back in and steals the kid. Go back and look at the photo from years ago of the kid standing next to Lebron. Of course you offer him again.

If he would make in I think he wants to show his skills and go pro. One year maybe two and gone,which is ok.

Noticed Coach Baez just started following him on Twitter and Griffin followed him back. So you know there is dialogue happening between him and UM.

Also noticed that a member of the Bama staff also just recently followed him, so who knows what happens.

Advertisement
Advertisement
the 2016 team could have X: Griffin Y: Coley Z: Lewis with all 5 offensive lineman returning, thats going to be Kaaya Heisman year. Thats not even mentioning having a bigger stronger faster Edwards, Yearby, Walton.

LOL at the bigger faster Gus. Guy has not done a anything since he has been here but he is always being hyped up as bigger and faster. Next year, he will have an Adrian Peterson skill set.

LOL at the bigger faster Gus. Guy has not done a anything since he has been here but he is always being hyped up as bigger and faster. Next year, he will have an Adrian Peterson skill set.

He only had more than 6 carries twice last year...he had 11 for 85 and a TD vs cincy and 20 for 115 and 2td vs Vtech.

He only had more than 6 carries twice last year...he had 11 for 85 and a TD vs cincy and 20 for 115 and 2td vs Vtech.

he scored a rushing TD 1 out of every 10 times he carried the ball and averaged 5.7 ypc. I'll take that all day long. Just needs to keep it up with the added workload.

Advertisement
Back