Derek Wingo Finally Gets Miami Offer

Advertisement
Advertisement
EVERYTHING is a projection.

Next to guys that played line backer for some time...He stands out rather easily.

One of the big concerns with some of these projected stand up rush guys ....is cover ability and transitioning. I mostly seen Wingo in 7 on 7 type events and he covers rather well and easily. He's the goods.

Kid legit played qb 2 years ago. This isnt some straightline athlete that they had line up in a wide 9 and rush up field.

This is s.fla...it will forever be the thing as their isnt much schools with legitimate sized kids to play on the DL. If a kid is 6'1 200 pds more than likely he will be at END. Speed is the name of the game in s.fla ball on defense.

IMO the biggest concern for HS DEs transitioning to LB is not necessarily coverage in shorts at a 7 on 7 event.

The biggest concern IMO is making split second decisions utilizing LB instincts in live action with a OL trying to knock your head off, then locate the ball, not get caught up in the wash, shed a block and make a tackle, or drop into your zone, or pick up your guy out of the backfield.

When these guys have to think too much instead of just reacting, they slow down and get eaten up by OL, and that is why none of those guys like MRob and McCord could successfully make the transition.

Again, if STA keeps him on the edge it will be a giant red flag IMO, especially if this guy is supposed to be the "best LB in the state".

Having a dominant MLB helps out the defense more than a dominant DE IMO.

Dominant MLBs rack up triple digit tackles, 5-10 sacks and around 1-2 INTs in a season, a dominant DE might get 15-20 sacks in a season and maybe 50 + tackles.

And how many of these "projections" (HS DE to college LB) have worked out for us in the last decade?

The answer is none to this point.

Yes Mike Smith became a quality back up as a Sr, and Joyner played good in a spring game, but we have not had a good track record developing those guys.

This is all meant to be a friendly discussion, as I have a lot of respect for Gogeta and his evaluations of south FL athletes.

IMO the biggest concern for HS DEs transitioning to LB is not necessarily coverage in shorts at a 7 on 7 event.

The biggest concern IMO is making split second decisions utilizing LB instincts in live action with a OL trying to knock your head off, then locate the ball, not get caught up in the wash, shed a block and make a tackle, or drop into your zone, or pick up your guy out of the backfield.

When these guys have to think too much instead of just reacting, they slow down and get eaten up by OL, and that is why none of those guys like MRob and McCord could successfully make the transition.

Again, if STA keeps him on the edge it will be a giant red flag IMO, especially if this guy is supposed to be the "best LB in the state".

Dominant MLBs rack up triple digit tackles, 5-10 sacks and around 1-2 INTs in a season, a dominant DE might get 15-20 sacks in a season and maybe 50 + tackles.

And how many of these "projections" (HS DE to college LB) have worked out for us in the last decade?

Yes Mike Smith became a quality back up as a Sr, and Joyner played good in a spring game, but we have not had a good track record developing those guys.

This is all meant to be a friendly discussion, as I have a lot of respect for Gogeta and his evaluations of south FL athletes.

Post of the Month! You, my friend, understand positions on a defense. A true LB with 5.0 speed will get to the ball faster than a 4.4 guy trying to learn/switch to LB.

Advertisement

This is STA were talking about..not some podunk school. They are loaded at just about all positions. They played Nik Bonnito at End as well. It just depends....they got Andy Garcia to transfer in (hes a 3 star lb)..they have likely Dontae Lunan those are just 2 kids off the top of my head. I dont take it as a red flag if hes at end.

MROB and Mccord problems were different and more to do with scheme..especiallyw ith Mccord. To me its a moot point because Wingo isnt coming here...

He (wingo) plays OLB in sta's 3-4 scheme.

- The bolded sounds like a coaching problem and less of aplayer problem. We havent developed much of anything int he last decade.

My example on this is....Ryan Shazier. I didnt like him that much as he was the same as a Sam Brooks in last class..essentially a 195 pd DE..boy was i wrong there. Its hit ot miss and i agree with you on that.

Yeah, I was counting his Sr year at STA. I guess I can actually count his Jr year of HS too. I have never seen him make any plays outside of video clips from flag football camps.

Got it..you’re right. Imho he’s a more natural fit at striker imho.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back