Depth Chart Surprises

Agreed....and add to that, the fact that we will now have an offensive scheme that actually helps out the OL instead of magnifying their weaknesses like last year's scheme.

Bingo. Those 2 things combined but us in much better shape. I think people will be surprised at the OL play this year.

Advertisement
Really like our OL depth - quality depth all around. We go a solid 8-9 deep. Also, I’d really would like to see Knighton get some shots as a return guy - I think he’s the returner of the future.
That also stood out to me. We've had so many issues at OL over the years. But I like our depth going forward. Zion was a disappointment last year but he was also put in position to fail. He's still a true soph with legitimate game experience who will only benefit from additional summers in the weight room. I think it'd be a mistake to count him out down the road based on his performance last year. And then you got Rivers, Clark, Reed and Washington (all FR and soph) plus Walker. If those guys develop as we hope, it's not difficult to envision a line comprised of battle-tested upperclassmen in 2-3 years. That'd be such a difference maker in comparison to what we've been trotting out the last few years.

I thought McCloud was supposed to be MLB. Playing at weak puts him in space more. I assumed that is what we were trying to avoid. LB group is very questionable to me.
McCloud will be sitting by midseason imo. Patchan/15 situation

Let see …
  1. Players develop and grow
  2. Quality additions exceed quality departures
  3. Better coaching
  4. Scheme more amenable to OL line play
If I left anything out, please add to the list.

All of this is conjecture of course but the confidence is based on how the fall camp went (unless they were blowing smoke up our ***). We'll know when they hit the field.
I all in when it comes to being positive & optimistic, and totally agree on the conjecture.

I just have to "SEE IT TO BELIEVE IT" when it comes to the offensive line, because honestly even a pile of garbage would have protected our QB and gave our backs better lanes last season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back