Deon Cain 247 update

-Tampa Bay Tech athlete Deon Cain has emerged as the top wide receiver prospect in Florida this offseason.

-With the word of Cain’s immense talent spreading, the University of Miami has started showing heavy interest.

-Says “I have been hearing from Miami a lot lately,” “I call them a lot. I talked to coach Golden and coach Larry Scott that I want to come down on a visit this week.

-Cain discussed the type of interest Miami is showing.

-Says “I probably talk to coach Golden almost every day. Coach Scott was telling me that I am the number one athlete that they have on their recruiting board,” “He said they are going to keep recruiting me hard. I liked hearing that.”

-Cain has never been to UM and is looking forward to learning more about the Hurricanes.

-Says “When I go to Miami, I just want to see the campus and learn more about the offense that they run there,” “I want to talk more to the offensive coordinator and the wide receiver coach. I want to know how they would use a player like me.”

-Cain admits he didn’t watch many UM games during the 2013 season, but he has studied up a little bit on the Hurricanes.

-Says “I know they are an up and coming team because they have a lot of veterans coming back and then they have a lot of young players coming in,” “I know they have a good receiver in Stacy Coley who broke a bunch of freshman records there. That just shows that if you go there and work you can make an impact as a freshman.”

-If Cain is unable to make the trip down to Miami this week he plans on visiting Clemson and South Carolina with fellow highly touted Tampa area recruit Ray-Ray McCloud.

-Cain played quarterback for Tampa Bay Tech last season and finished with 1,945 passing yards and 13 touchdowns while rushing for 731 yards and three touchdowns. This offseason has been a time for Cain to improve his skills at receiver.

-Says “It has been a good offseason because I have been able to work on my speed and my ball skills,” “I am doing more footwork drills and just getting better at receiver and learning those little things you have to do.”

-Cain doesn’t plan to make a commitment until the end of the summer after he takes numerous unofficial visits.

-Says “I will base my decision on how I get along with the coaching staff, what the offensive scheme is and how it fits me, and what the early playing time looks like,”

http://miami.247sports.com/Article/ATH-Deon-Cain-Hopes-To-Visit-Miami-185859

4/6/2014 UPDATE

Tampa Bay Tech wide receiver Deon Cain knew he was interested in Miami but he hadn’t seen them like he had with his other in-state options.That changed on Thursday when Cain (6-1, 190) made the trip down I-75, across Alligator Alley, and into Hurricane territory.

-Says “I wanted to look more into my position coach and the rest of the staff,” “I needed to get a better look at the type of offense they run and if I could see myself fitting in with that. I went in open minded because I was just trying to learn what I could.”

-visit started with an explanation of what Miami has to offer academically.

-Says “When I arrived, the first thing we did was with academics,” “They took me to the department for my major and we met with the dean. She talked about business management and what would happen for me if I choose to go there. It’s a big impression to know they’re on point with school first.”

The next step for Cain was to accomplish one of the objectives from his checklist.

-Says “All the coaches were real and I like how they just want to take care of you,” “They showed me all the fun places to go but the told me there are times to focus on football. Coach Carroll explained how their offense works and he said I would be perfect as an outside receiver who can make plays.”

-Cain’s initial connection to Miami was tight ends coach Larry Scott but it has now developed beyond just that.

-Says “I’ve been like buddies with Coach Scott since freshman year,” “It was good to reconnect plus I’m getting to know Coach Carroll. If I choose Miami, I would really look forward to working more with him. He’s a really cool person from what I see.”

-Cain’s presence on campus was outshined by football activities of a higher magnitude.

-Says “They had their pro day going on but it was against the rules for me to be there watching,” “I stayed away to do my own thing but it was cool being around for that. I still saw a few NFL coaches when I was walking around campus.”

-spending less time around the football facilities meant spending extra time exploring the rest of what campus is like.

-Says “I didn’t realize their campus was that beautiful until I actually got there,” “It looks very nice and everything is so new. You can tell they have a lot going on and that was a pretty big shocker. There’s not a ton of students so that’s cool too. I wasn’t really high on Miami at first but I’m very impressed now that I saw it.”

-he expects to be back in South Florida next weekend for the spring game at Sun Life Stadium. He listed Alabama, Clemson, Florida State, Georgia, Tennessee, and UCF as other visits he hopes to take this spring or summer.

http://miami.247sports.com/Article/WR-Deon-Cain-Visits-Miami-Will-Return-Soon-187009

Last edited:
Advertisement
Both UF and FSU want him also.
[video=youtube;oYuv4IfgNCw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYuv4IfgNCw[/video]

I love our Tampa influence since Golden arrived. One thing you can't bash him for.

Our staff seems to be putting in serious work on the trail this season.

Cain doesn't seem to get discussed much around here compared to some of the other top receivers in the state, possibly because he's currently viewed as an FSU lean. And it would obviously suck if he ended up there.

But Cain's the receiver I'm hoping we land the most other than Ridley. I think he has better physical tools and a higher ceiling than guys like Peete, Phillips, Durante, Lewis, etc.

Hope he's able to visit and we continue to recruit him hard.

Advertisement
FSU looking strong here...

One thing that could help is that Cain says early playing time will be an important factor behind his decision. Not only did FSU land two five-star receivers in Rudolph and Lane this past cycle, but everyone's also penciling in Phillips to their '15 class since he wants to play with Cook.

I personally believe Cain is just as talented, if not moreso, than Lane and Phillips. But he'd have a clearer path towards significant early playing time here, even if we do end up landing Ridley, which is certainly far from a guarantee with how crazy he and SBB's recruitment is expected to be.

One thing that could help is that Cain says early playing time will be an important factor behind his decision. Not only did FSU land two five-star receivers in Rudolph and Lane this past cycle, but everyone's also penciling in Phillips to their '15 class since he wants to play with Cook.

I personally believe Cain is just as talented, if not moreso, than Lane and Phillips. But he'd have a clearer path towards significant early playing time here, even if we do end up landing Ridley, which is certainly far from a guarantee with how crazy he and SBB's recruitment is expected to be.
237.gif

Advertisement
Both UF and FSU want him also.
[video=youtube;oYuv4IfgNCw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYuv4IfgNCw[/video]

So your telling me this guy who throws better than Gibson and runs just like him is not a 5* QB wow. I tell ya. Talent around you really does matter. But at least he smart to enough to know where his $ position is. This kid is awesome and would be a great commit..

Sure could get used to the celebration at :11 if he comes here.

[video=youtube;E8L3640z6Do]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8L3640z6Do[/video]

Advertisement
Kid is a stud. Get him on campus I don't care if Al Golden has to pick him up. He's a beast.

Advertisement

Yep, he was recently bumped to the #2 WR in the country by 247...He's starting to get national attention.

Chad Simmons ‏@ChadSimmons_ 2h
Scout 300 WR Deon Cain will visit #Miami Thursday. #Canes recruiting him hard and it will be 1st visit to UM this year. @ImOnMyWay_5

Chad Simmons ‏@ChadSimmons_ 2h
Scout 300 WR Deon Cain will visit #Miami Thursday. #Canes recruiting him hard and it will be 1st visit to UM this year. @ImOnMyWay_5

This is good news. He won't be one to complain about how the staff started recruiting him too late. Need some of the other players, and Kaaya, to get after this kid as well.

Advertisement
Back