Deon Bush should be moved to cornerback

rok

Great Poster
Reading Ariz's post yesterday got me thinking. The CB depth is nearly as poor as it was back in 2011 when the only incumbents were Brandon McGee and Keion Payne.

Now, we all know that our nickel defense consists of three linebackers running to point X and standing there while our corners bail 25 yards downfield while three DL in frog stances play patty cake with the OL.

By all accounts, Jaquan is ready for the big-time and might actually provide some ball skills and some balls in general.

Here's my proposed depth chart:

CB Burns - Elder - Redwine
SS Johnson - Crawford
FS Carter - Jenkins - Knowles
CB Bush - Howard - Jackson

Advertisement
Negative. Deon is about 205 pounds and probably our best safety.

Only thing i would do is play Jaquan some in the nickel situations. If rayshawn Jenkins is back and healthy then I think our secondary should be ok.

We have a solid three guys who've locked a lot of mins at cb. We play a lot of guys at safety( Crawford, bush, carter, Jenkins)

What I'm trying to do here is field an all Dade County secondary in Burns, Bush, Johnson, Carter.

Elder, Howard, Jenkins, Crawford make a fine second line.

Either way, is no bueno if any of Mayes, Redwine, Jackson see the field imo.

Deon Bush is our best safety, he will be insurance for if Rayshawn Jenkins isnt the same after back surgery. I love Jaquan Johnson, but I dont think he is good enough to have him back there right off the bat.

What I'm trying to do here is field an all Dade County secondary in Burns, Bush, Johnson, Carter.

Elder is our best corner

Advertisement
Bush is a safety all the way and our best Safety by far. Carter needs to step up big time, he is a junior now. the fact that Corn, Artie, and Tracy are our top 3 i feel really good about that. i'm pretty sure Jaquan will play some nickel. I really like the fact that the staff has to deal with little depth. so maybe for once our guys can actually play a lot and not rotate as much.

Elder is our best corner

I love Elder but these coaches seem to favor Burns.

IMO he comes a close second his plays on the ball arent that good, coverage wise hes physical and fast enough to run with anyone but when the ball is in the air coming to him he misplays, corn makes plays and isnt affraid to hit, our 2 starting corners should be corn and artie

This post is ridiculous...

Bush is by far our best Safety, so why the **** would we play him out of position at CB his Sr year?

Elder is probably our best CB and you want him on the bench b/c he is not from Dade county? (Absolutely retarded logic)

You say you want an all dade county secondary... SMH

I want the most effective secondary we can field with the players we have.

The starting DBs should be:

CB: Elder

FS: Bush

SS: Jenkins

CB: Burns

CB: Howard

Carter, Johnson, Crawford and Jackson/Redwine will see the field plenty knowing how much this incompetent staff likes to rotate players(way more than they should IMO), but those^^^ should be our starters.

Advertisement
How often do we really play 5 DBs?

This is why I want Bush at CB.

Bush - Carter - Johnson - Burns

OP I like the out of the box thinking but are you crazy, Bush needs to stay at safety. If anything Miami needs to pick up one the stud JUCO CB's that are still available. **** I think there are 2 All American CB's that are still available.

There is an older thread discussing this very idea of landing a late JUCO CB.

Here is the link to thread
https://www.canesinsight.com/thread/available-juco-cbs/86890?highlight=Thadd+Daniels

Go Cane

As much as I like Quan, I'd be scared to death of start Him and JRock from the beginning at Safety. I think Bush will see "some" time at CB, but as long as Burns,Elder and Howard are healthy I think we r fine with those 3.

As long as Bush gets some time at CB in camp.

We have depth to spare at safety so if it becomes a full-time move out of necessity at least he'll be ready.

And I don't know what it is but I have a feeling about Jaquan. I think being here in the spring was big for him.

Advertisement

We don't play 5 DB's a bunch because the staff are idiots and like to stay in the 3-4 base D instead of having actual nickel/dime packages. Just sayin.

What we DO, on the other hand, is rotate DB's thru quite a bit. Probably too often. So, there's a chance we might see Bush match up on a bigger WR sometimes if he's rotated in at CB...but only if it fits into the gameplan. Not saying I agree with it, but that's the only way NoD and Chumley will allow that to happen.

I think the only way you'll see the 4 DB lineup you want is if Elder/Howard are both gassed or hurt. And even then - they might elect to play Redwine or Jackson if they're ready to contrbute early at CB. Also, Rayshawn Jenkins might lock down one of those S spots you're awarding to Carter/Johnson. I think Carter/Johnson are both more talented and are playmakers...but with this staff, you know they'll go with the safer pick, the more experienced/smarter player...and that's probably how they'll view Jenkins if he's healthy.

Advertisement
Also, Bush was asked if he was going to play any CB this year in an article on canesport and he straight up said no, he is concentrating on Safety.

He said if the coaches need him to, he would, but he is sure we got plenty of guys who could fill that role if needed.

Playing our best Safety out of position at CB, when we have 3 CBs that are very capable and better CBs than Bush is just ridiculous...

Jalen Ramsey has been FSUs best safety for two seasons and he was moved to CB. It's about maximizing the talent on the field. We have an abundance of safeties that can contribute. The same can't be said at corner, especially if one of the three CBs with any experience gets nicked up.

Advertisement
Back