Dematha vs Miami Central......BTW vs St Thomas

Most Roland smith coaches teams are poorly coached. Sucks he's an alumni but it's straight little league coaching with his boys. Remember when he went up to states with that loaded west team and lost to meriweather and apopka with an offense that they should have wrecked.

Advertisement
Central- booker t are in rebuilding years....yet I still expect both to fight and make it to states. Big futures for both...Dematha is just beastly and well coached.

The odds of an out-of-state team with only a couple D-1 kids beating a loaded South Florida team = slim.
Add a couple more D-1 kids to that (better coached) out-of-state team and you've got yourself a football game.

A well-coached team with 4 D-1 kids will beat a loaded South Florida team 7 out of 10 times probably. When the South Florida team wins it's usually because their level of talent is simply too overwhelming. When the talent between the SOFLA team and OOS team is almost equal, the OOS team will almost always win cause their coaching is light years better.

This type of crap happens in our own backyard when teams like Coral Springs beat Deerfield (and almost beat Hallandale) or teams like Western beat Plantation. Why wouldn't it also happen across the state lines? There's a little bit of parody in South Florida football and it's due to a lack of quality coaching. I'm willing to bet that in other states like GA and TX, most of the time the more talented team wins, cause more often than not the coaching is equal. Then you come to South Florida and you see big-time stud prospects who play on horrible teams.

So your thesis is better coaching in other states? So you have statistical data that says that Miami/Broward have the worst HS coaches available to them. Man I've heard it all. There are plenty of ****ty coaches in the DC/MD area.. trust and believe. Virginia has solid to good coaching usually from top to bottom. Maryland and DC are still basketball regions, but the quality of football coaching is improving.
A lot of hate & jealousy for Dade County football but we did lose to a good team yesterday.

I think the common sentiment from everyone that's from Miami is that if our public schools had the same resources in terms of strength and conditioning, offseason nutritional program as well as feed all of our talent to one school that's when it would be on equal playing field.

Typically our players on the OL and DL are not well developed due to resources and coaching. Whenever you see us struggle out of state it's usually due to being outmatched on the lines.

And look at where most talent come from in Dade. Mostly concentrated from Miami Gardens down to Allapattah/Overtown. That's a very small radius to recruit compared to these out state schools. Living in Atlanta now it's very comparable to the Dekalb public schools and their radius for recruiting.

It isn't hate or jealousy.. Y'all can't take getting ribbed one **** day. You have a million kids west of 95 in south florida.. You don't have any snow or blizzards which hurts football from January until April. You literally have spring games and football. We just started playing spring football games within the last two to three years up here. Less concentration of football players because Maryland/DC is still a big time basketball hotbed.

The odds of an out-of-state team with only a couple D-1 kids beating a loaded South Florida team = slim.
Add a couple more D-1 kids to that (better coached) out-of-state team and you've got yourself a football game.

A well-coached team with 4 D-1 kids will beat a loaded South Florida team 7 out of 10 times probably. When the South Florida team wins it's usually because their level of talent is simply too overwhelming. When the talent between the SOFLA team and OOS team is almost equal, the OOS team will almost always win cause their coaching is light years better.

This type of crap happens in our own backyard when teams like Coral Springs beat Deerfield (and almost beat Hallandale) or teams like Western beat Plantation. Why wouldn't it also happen across the state lines? There's a little bit of parody in South Florida football and it's due to a lack of quality coaching. I'm willing to bet that in other states like GA and TX, most of the time the more talented team wins, cause more often than not the coaching is equal. Then you come to South Florida and you see big-time stud prospects who play on horrible teams.

So your thesis is better coaching in other states? So you have statistical data that says that Miami/Broward have the worst HS coaches available to them. Man I've heard it all. There are plenty of ****ty coaches in the DC/MD area.. trust and believe. Virginia has solid to good coaching usually from top to bottom. Maryland and DC are still basketball regions, but the quality of football coaching is improving.
A lot of hate & jealousy for Dade County football but we did lose to a good team yesterday.

I think the common sentiment from everyone that's from Miami is that if our public schools had the same resources in terms of strength and conditioning, offseason nutritional program as well as feed all of our talent to one school that's when it would be on equal playing field.

Typically our players on the OL and DL are not well developed due to resources and coaching. Whenever you see us struggle out of state it's usually due to being outmatched on the lines.

And look at where most talent come from in Dade. Mostly concentrated from Miami Gardens down to Allapattah/Overtown. That's a very small radius to recruit compared to these out state schools. Living in Atlanta now it's very comparable to the Dekalb public schools and their radius for recruiting.

It isn't hate or jealousy.. Y'all can't take getting ribbed one **** day. You have a million kids west of 95 in south florida.. You don't have any snow or blizzards which hurts football from January until April. You literally have spring games and football. We just started playing spring football games within the last two to three years up here. Less concentration of football players because Maryland/DC is still a big time basketball hotbed.

South florida is still producing div 1 basketball, baseball, track athletes at a high rate.
DMV area isn't bad....just calm down though..that dry *** win ain't saying much..it doesn't mean you have better football it doesn't mean much. Umd sucks and that's with home grown talent...in your area I would recruit the tidewater area before I hit the DMV. Dematha is a great team though...but summer down brah...there's only two to three teams in that area that can compete in southFla and their all private school recruiting schools like Dematha.

Central is like an h.d. Woodson up there.

Advertisement
That's all good y'all can play spring ball now but I'm not sure how that applies to this game. Our kids are always putting in that work in the local parks on their own. Go to Moore park any day in the hot summer them boyz are working.

I watched the game and clearly that central team is depleted. We took an L and we'll move on. Dematha is **** good team. But one game doesn't justify DMV having anything comparable to the talent that is produced each year from Miami Central alone.

Teams like Desoto, Skyline as well as others in S. Dallas get wrecked by the big texas programs. Desoto just got destroyed today, despite being LOADED with BCS kids, by a team that's not as talented. Remember when Cypress Bay went to play Katy (Tx) in 2008. That Cypress Bay team had like 10+ BCS kids. ****, they brought Jason Douglas all the way from Miami Gardens to go play for them. They got destroyed by a Katy team with less D1 kids. GHA has teams with a bunch of talent, but Katy is by far the best coached, so they dominate that area. Same thing when a loaded plant lost to Abiline. Miramar in 2010 also lost to Desoto.

In 2011, a loaded Miami Central went to play a 3-7 Cincinnati Elder (public school that doesn't hoard the areas talent), and they needed a 50yd fg to win at the last second. That Elder team had maybe 2-3 D1 kids and got whooped by every other good team in Cinci, while that Central team lost the state title game. Central's top corner got routinely beat by a kid that went D2-3. Difference was coaching and Central wasn't going to push their lineman around, like they would against a normal SFL school.

The one time I saw a loaded SFL team lose to a Loaded OOS team that actually had worse coaching was when MNW lost 29-7 against Long Beach Poly, at Traz Powell. LBP has been notorious for having an abundance of talent and not winning ****.

Preaching to the choir, my man. I'm right with you.

I was apart of a "well-coached" but "talent-less" program for 5 years so I've seen it firsthand, locally. We gave Miramar fits every year (for about 3 quarters), specifically the year they won the State Championship with Ryan Williams. They only beat us 7-0. Our edge was S&C, intelligence and schematics. We got a lot of sacks, INT's, TFL's, etc...and frustrated them for the majority of the game until their playmakers caught us in space, then the gap in athleticism showed.

And this is with a high school team that had little to no D-1 talent and a decent staff with adequate resources. Add a few more good coaches, a couple resources and a few D-1 kids and we probably beat those Miramar teams. There's teams out there, specifically in other states, who have better staffs than our's and a couple more D-1 kids to go along with outstanding resources so it's no surprise that they would beat-up on the likes of Central, Miramar, etc etc.

So your thesis is better coaching in other states? So you have statistical data that says that Miami/Broward have the worst HS coaches available to them. Man I've heard it all. There are plenty of ****** coaches in the DC/MD area.. trust and believe. Virginia has solid to good coaching usually from top to bottom. Maryland and DC are still basketball regions, but the quality of football coaching is improving.

How could one possibly have statistical data on a statement that is opinion-based?

Are you arguing that South FLA doesn't have terrible coaching? I always thought this was something that is widely known.

I don't have any statistical data but I watch a whole lot of film on teams from all over Broward. I also know that there's teams down here who have athletes and still suck. I also go to coaching clinics every year and I never see South FLA coaches there unless they're speaking.

Last edited:

South florida is still producing div 1 basketball, baseball, track athletes at a high rate.
DMV area isn't bad....just calm down though..that dry *** win ain't saying much..it doesn't mean you have better football it doesn't mean much. Umd sucks and that's with home grown talent...in your area I would recruit the tidewater area before I hit the DMV. Dematha is a great team though...but summer down brah...there's only two to three teams in that area that can compete in southFla and their all private school recruiting schools like Dematha.

HD Woodson ain't ****.. Lol DCPS ain't **** Gogeta.. Woodson is off Benning Road.. They cleaning that area up or at least trying to. The black athletes are all spread out of the city and pg county because of the weak transfer rules. Prime example Montrose Christian closes down (school which produced Grievas Vasquez and Kevin Durant) because of funding. All their players leave 3 go to DeMatha, 2 go to Paul the VI in Virginia and the others spread out some all the way in Florida at those prep academies.

I'm just saying y'all have a built in advantage weather wise for football.. Stop the bull****ting I lived in Fort Lauderdale for three years before I moved back up here. Y'all kids play football like we play basketball.

Y'all have a built in football weather advantage. The tidewater is the same way.. They are born and bread on football, just like S.Fla.. Football, baseball, then basketball in that order.

DC/MD is still basketball

then football down here..

Just like you know you area. Trust me I have several friends at my house right now who coach on high level programs here in the region.

Advertisement

Teams like Desoto, Skyline as well as others in S. Dallas get wrecked by the big texas programs. Desoto just got destroyed today, despite being LOADED with BCS kids, by a team that's not as talented. Remember when Cypress Bay went to play Katy (Tx) in 2008. That Cypress Bay team had like 10+ BCS kids. ****, they brought Jason Douglas all the way from Miami Gardens to go play for them. They got destroyed by a Katy team with less D1 kids. GHA has teams with a bunch of talent, but Katy is by far the best coached, so they dominate that area. Same thing when a loaded plant lost to Abiline. Miramar in 2010 also lost to Desoto.

In 2011, a loaded Miami Central went to play a 3-7 Cincinnati Elder (public school that doesn't hoard the areas talent), and they needed a 50yd fg to win at the last second. That Elder team had maybe 2-3 D1 kids and got whooped by every other good team in Cinci, while that Central team lost the state title game. Central's top corner got routinely beat by a kid that went D2-3. Difference was coaching and Central wasn't going to push their lineman around, like they would against a normal SFL school.

The one time I saw a loaded SFL team lose to a Loaded OOS team that actually had worse coaching was when MNW lost 29-7 against Long Beach Poly, at Traz Powell. LBP has been notorious for having an abundance of talent and not winning ****.

I was apart of a "well-coached" but "talent-less" program for 5 years so I've seen it firsthand, locally. We gave Miramar fits every year (for about 3 quarters), specifically the year they won the State Championship with Ryan Williams. They only beat us 7-0. Our edge was S&C, intelligence and schematics. We got a lot of sacks, INT's, TFL's, etc...and frustrated them for the majority of the game until their playmakers caught us in space, then the gap in athleticism showed.

And this is with a high school team that had little to no D-1 talent and a decent staff with adequate resources. Add a few more good coaches, a couple resources and a few D-1 kids and we probably beat those Miramar teams. There's teams out there, specifically in other states, who have better staffs than our's and a couple more D-1 kids to go along with outstanding resources so it's no surprise that they would beat-up on the likes of Central, Miramar, etc etc.

Absolutely.

I think what some people don't realize when they see these teams that are nationally known programs is that they may not have a crazy amount of D1s, but their other players can ALL play college football (1AA, D2, D3), and they're more developed than most hs kids and they don't make that many mistakes due to good coaching. Where our local hs's may have some D1 kids, but OL that can't even play NIAI. You can kill D1 loaded teams with that type of talent if you have great coaching and resources. Look at college teams like NDakota St wrecking D1 teams like Kstate. FIU joined D1 in 2005 and they were terrible. I know they couldn't beat certain D2s, I don't care if they're "D1". They were 1AA the year before and they still stunk. Nationally known programs certainly have quality depth throughout their entire roster.

Last edited:

Absolutely.

I think what some people don't realize when they see these teams that are nationally known programs is that they may not have a crazy amount of D1s, but their other players can ALL play college football (1AA, D2, D3), and they're more developed than most hs kids and they don't make that many mistakes due to good coaching. Where our local hs's may have some D1 kids, but OL that can't even play NIAI. You can kill D1 loaded teams with that type of talent if you have great coaching and resources. Look at college teams like NDakota St wrecking D1 teams like Kstate. FIU joined D1 in 2005 and they were terrible. I know they couldn't beat certain D2s, I don't care if they're "D1". They were 1AA the year before and they still stunk. Nationally known programs certainly have quality depth throughout their entire roster.

Those D1AA, D2 and D3 kids you refer to are usually the kids who lack measureables but can flat-out PLAY FOOTBALL. They're tough, savvy and smart.

I'll take a team full of those kids, sprinkled with a couple lower-tier D-1 kids ALL DAY.

My D-linemen don't have to be 6'4" 250+ across the board. I can succeed with the 6'0" 230lb kids that are gonna play D2/D3 ball, as long as they're tough. (my best DE ever was a 6'0" 200lb kid)
My Inside Linebackers don't have to be 6'1" dudes that run 4.6 forties. I'll take the tough 5'9" thumper in the middle who's smart as **** and can line us up properly. (my best ILB ever was a 5'8" 185lb kid)

Where I'd really like to have D-1 kids is in the secondary. They don't all have to be D-1 but it really helps when you have a couple guys back there with offers, even if they're lower tier D-1 guys. Then again, the CB I had last season got 8 picks and he's a 5'7" white boy with zero offers. But if I had a choice of where I'd like to have D-1 kids, it would probably be at DB. Nose Tackle is important too but I can succeed with a 5'10" kid who's stout, strong and tough.

And on offense you can definitely succeed with D2/D3 level O-linemen. You don't need a bunch of O-linemen with offers from Bama to run a zone scheme. However, I'd like to have at least one D-1 level WR that can get off coverage when we play the more athletic teams. I don't think the QB has to be D-1. It would be nice but I believe you can be successful with a D2/D3 kid back there if he's savvy and can run. We've had both...a QB with major offers playing with a group of WR's who will bag groceries...and a short D3 level QB playing with lower tier D-1 WR's and a D-1 RB. Even when we had the stud QB it was very difficult for our offense to move the ball against better teams because our inferior skill players simply couldn't get open against the more athletic teams. They'd send the house and play man coverage and we couldn't get open. When teams tried that against us while we had the D-1 skill kids, one of them would always make a play.

Last edited:

HD Woodson ain't ****.. Lol DCPS ain't **** Gogeta.. Woodson is off Benning Road.. They cleaning that area up or at least trying to. The black athletes are all spread out of the city and pg county because of the weak transfer rules. Prime example Montrose Christian closes down (school which produced Grievas Vasquez and Kevin Durant) because of funding. All their players leave 3 go to DeMatha, 2 go to Paul the VI in Virginia and the others spread out some all the way in Florida at those prep academies.

I'm just saying y'all have a built in advantage weather wise for football.. Stop the bull****ting I lived in Fort Lauderdale for three years before I moved back up here. Y'all kids play football like we play basketball.

Y'all have a built in football weather advantage. The tidewater is the same way.. They are born and bread on football, just like S.Fla.. Football, baseball, then basketball in that order.

DC/MD is still basketball

then football down here..

Just like you know you area. Trust me I have several friends at my house right now who coach on high level programs here in the region.

I don't mean Woodson as far as level of play. I mean Woodson as far as it being a neighborhood school for the most part. When you see miami central line up they are 75-85% kids from down the street. Weather ain't the reason these kids are good down here...football is just in breded from a young age. It's a part of floridas culture.
Me personally since my aunt/family lives in dc..and I played college ball with a team full of of pg county kids(my roomate was drafted,currently tearing up cfl) I respect that areas football talent..schools like Dematha, etc. i would like to grab a kid from that way in every recruiting class.

Take the win and enjoy..they clown end and beat up on a tough central team. Difference is where as dematha is likely creme de la creme...this year there are 5-6 teams in south fla alone that are miami central level or better. How many teams will be Dematha level this year in that area?.

Macho, do you know a kid named miles doleman. He played for Cypress Bay in 08-09. He transferred from either Western or Miramar. Idk what year though.

Advertisement
You get what you pay for.... Head coaches down here get paid what $4200 Assistants less than that...When you add up the mpney for all the things you do for the kids you actually lose money as a coach... For that money you will get **** coaches...... It is what it is..... any security guard or janitor can become a coach.... I know lots of coaches and dade county..like macho said you have to put in money to be a better coach.. However I will give it to Ice Harris and Telly Locket they grew as coaches and you gotta give them credit Ice's team the last few years was barely penalized and very disciplined.... ICe improved as a coach from 10 years ago

Last edited:
Wait I thought a 3 star from south FLorida was................................

You can finish the rest.....................

Dade got they ash kicked.....If you can ball you can ball....

Saying that Central, Booker T, Edison , Northwestern are what maybe in a 3 mile radius? Public schools gonna have down years..Private schools shouldnt.... We gonna act LIke Don Bosco didnt stomp St. Thomas last year??? Talent is everywhere you pfhaggots. We will see what Herotage does

Central beat Don Bosco worse when they went up there.

It's been near even.

SFL is .400 all-time against the state of New Jersey and Ohio.

1939 Miami 13, Garfield 16
2000 Gulliver Prep wins vs St Peters Prep
2012 STA 10, Bosco 20
2013 Miami Central 50, Bosco 21
2014 STA 7, Bosco 24

lol your missing games bro.. STA beat upper Arlington from ohio in 2009

That was the list against Jersey

This is the all-time against Ohio: (1 game over .500) Dade's .500

1930 Miami High 18, Toledo Stivers 0
1932 Miami 7, Toledo Waite 13
1984 Miami Columbus 0, Moeller 28
1995 Miami Southridge 20, Massillon 7
Chaminade 7, St Edwards 14
2008 STA 35, Elder 24
2009 STA 52, Upper Arlington 7
2010 Dwyer 22, Glenville 26
2012 University School 33, Trotwood Madison 14

Fk Ohio. Florida has given out butt kickings across the USA from OH to GA to Texas to California, Bishop Gorman in NV, etc for years and people want to talk noise because a bad Central team lost to Maryland's best team. LOL

Anyone who saw that 2010 Dwyer vs Glenville (Herbstreit Classic) knows Dwyer won that.

Even Herbstriet had to come put publicly and apologize for the refs cheating.

Jacoby Brisset QB at UF/NCSU crossed the goal twice and the refs never counted the TD which would've ended the game.

ESPN’s Kirk Herbstreit, who joined me on the show Wednesday morning to discuss the opening week of the college and high school football seasons, turned apologetic when the talk turned to the game between Palm Beach Gardens’ Dwyer and Cleveland’s Glenville, played Monday at Ohio Stadium in Columbus.

Glenville won the game 26-22 after officials denied Dwyer three apparent go-ahead touchdowns in the final 88 seconds of the game.

“It made me sick to my stomach,” Herbstreit said.

“They throw a fade into the corner of the end zone… guy clearly gets his feet down for a touchdown. I’m thinking, ‘Where’s the instant replay?’”

Dwyer would go on to get back to the Glenville 2 in the closing seconds and run two quarterback sneaks.

“It looked like they got in once, if not the first time, definitely the second time, and the officials don’t give them a touchdown three different times and Dwyer ends up losing and my heart just sank.”

Herbstreit bemoaned: “Just what my event needs.”

The former Ohio State quarterback went on: “Clearly, watching on TV, that’s a touchdown. To the fans of Dwyer and to their players, I am as sick about it as you are.

“I was with a buddy of mine … he played high school football with me, and I said ‘Imagine if we flew down to Florida to play one of their better teams and we drove the last drive and scored the winning touchdown and a Florida referee looked us in the eye and said, “Nope.” And we scored another winning touchdown and a Florida referee said ,’Nope.’ And we scored a third winning touchdown and a Florida referee said ‘Nope.’

“I said, ‘I’d feel like [Dwyer star tight end Nick] O’Leary [who made an obscene gesture leaving the field], too. I mean, I’d be upset, too.

“All I can say is, I apologize.”

Herbstreit said he was hoping to get a hold of the Dwyer athletic director on Wednesday.

Last edited:
You get what you pay for.... Head coaches down here get paid what $4200 Assistants less than that...When you add up the mpney for all the things you do for the kids you actually lose money as a coach... For that money you will get **** coaches...... It is what it is..... any security guard or janitor can become a coach....

And majority of the schools that have athletes are ****** coaching jobs. They have poor facilities, limited resources and no booster club. Coaching there is an uphill battle.

That's the conflict that good coaches go through. Take a coaching job at an urban school that has athletes but no booster club, little parent support, no money, etc? Or take a coaching job at a school that's limited athletically but have a ton of resources, great boosters and plenty of money to spend on resources?

When I was coaching at Western we had about $20k-$30k in our booster club budget at any given time. We were taking our kids all over the state for 7-on-7 tournaments. Taking the kids to Busch Gardens. Booster club was putting us in hotels and buying us dinner/drinks. They were paying for us go go to Coaching Clinics in Orlando. It was nice. Same thing when I was coaching at Cooper City. We had roughly $40k-$50k in our budget. Anything you need, you just ask for it, whether it's equipment or clothing.

Schools like that, you're never gonna win a state title but it'll be a good coaching job. It'll never be an uphill battle. You'll have access to everything you need to be a good program. And if you win 6 to 8 games per year at a school like that then you're a god.

Or you can take a job at a school like Boyd Anderson or Ely. You'll have access to the talent you need to win a state title but you'll never have the resources. And good luck getting support from the community. They will be in the stands however, critiquing your every call.

IMO the best [public school] coaching job in Broward County is Cypress Bay. After that it's Cooper City and Western IMO. The "right guy" at HC can win at any one of these schools. Administration at Western is a **** joke though, they could care less about football. Cooper City cares a lot more but they need an innovative Head Coach to capitalize off of their blessings.(which is money and location IMO) However, their administration is iffy about letting urban kids into their school. And Cypress, we've already seen what they're capable of. If I could be a HC anywhere it would be there. Amazing resources, good AD and the best administration you could ask for.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Bunch of excuse making up in here.... **** weren't most of you cats saying Ice should take over for AG? but the sofla coaching sucks? Beard? currently our WR coach... didn't locket just take a college job? Pretty sure their is an ex-cane coaching at heritage... Stop the excuse making... you dudes sound like the AG of sofla hs football.. but but the training table, or the coaching, or the advantages.. blah blah blah... They got smoked period. Just proves you need more than skill players, thats all. Its never been a secret that you get your skill guys from sofla, and then look around for your linemen... And its improved, but not enough to beat the private schools...

Bunch of excuse making up in here.... **** weren't most of you cats saying Ice should take over for AG? but the sofla coaching sucks? Beard? currently our WR coach... didn't locket just take a college job? Pretty sure their is an ex-cane coaching at heritage... Stop the excuse making... you dudes sound like the AG of sofla hs football.. but but the training table, or the coaching, or the advantages.. blah blah blah... They got smoked period. Just proves you need more than skill players, thats all. Its never been a secret that you get your skill guys from sofla, and then look around for your linemen... And its improved, but not enough to beat the private schools...

South FLA guys are getting college coaching jobs because of their connections to South FLA athletes, genius, not cause they're coaching gurus.

The coaching down here is atrocious.

In Florida, the Head coaches have to actually be teachers in the schools first and the after school activities second. At least that's in public schools. Many other states hire and pay actual coaches outside of the education system.

In Florida, the Head coaches have to actually be teachers in the schools first and the after school activities second. At least that's in public schools. Many other states hire and pay actual coaches outside of the education system.

I think there's ways around that.

Probably if the booster club pays the entire salary. I heard Guandolo doesn't teach at CB and they pay him a very good salary for a SFL HS coach.

Advertisement
Back