Delone Scaife

Campbell is a prospect who needs some strength training. You can have all the quick feet in the world but your legs need to be anchors when engaged.

Definitely agree. Campbell has great upside because of his frame and mobility but my biggest concern about him has always been his strength. He still has a babyface, so I'm sure he'll get there, but he's a couple years away IMO.

Briggs is not as thick as I thought and looks more like a DE then a DT.

Disagree on this one. Briggs definitely still needs to add some weight/muscle, but that lower body and that frame is not that of a DE. With how he's built, he will get up to ~300 without losing the quickness that won him a bunch of those reps at the end. He loses what makes him special if you put him at DE, and then he just becomes a big DE. He will end up being a good sized DT with range and great quickness that most interior OL will not be able to handle.

Oladele has all the tools but violent hands. Once he gets his hands technique down, he could be unstoppable. He needs better coaching as far as technique to advance his game.

Yup, Oladele is all about the upside.

Advertisement
I was pretty adamant Donaldson should start at Guard, but can eventually see him kicking out to RT. Love what they're doing at OL. Help us with a LT, please.

I was pretty adamant Donaldson should start at Guard, but can eventually see him kicking out to RT. Love what they're doing at OL. Help us with a LT, please.

Looking at '18, do you think St. Louis can kick to LT and move to Donaldson to RT or is Herbert a tackle? It seems like we have a lot of guys that are RT/tweener types, but no true LT (yet)

Advertisement
Happy to see Briggs and Oladele look better in 2nd session. Jacked up watching Scaife get nasty. Rick Sandidge needs to get on down to Coral Gables, dude is violent and hype.

Oladele Looked like trash in these drills

Guy's getting recruited purely for his athletic ability, he really doesn't have another positive except a high motor.

Nothing but a high motor? If he's a high motor guy with those physical tools, then that's EVERYTHING.

An athletically gifted person with a high motor being taught by the best DL coach in America sounds like a guy that I want. **** athletically he might be ready to play day 1 - he's the same size as Jonathan Garvin right now. And with Kool having an offseason to teach him, I definitely could see him getting PT early as a frosh.

His stance and footwork are atrocious but that's correctable. You can't teach length and upper body power like that. From the waist up he looks and plays like a mutant. There are maybe a handful or 2 of pros with that kind of natural ability.

If he corrects the aforementioned issues he could be the next Trent Williams. If he coasts on talent he could still be a good albeit inconsistent college lineman like Flowers was.

Advertisement
Oladele gone make someone look really smart or dumb as chit.

He lacks instincts, not just footwork and moves. He doesn't seem to have a feel for the other guy's balamce amd weight, so he wastes his effort pishing in the rong place and gets out of position as a result.

He lacks instincts, not just footwork and moves. He doesn't seem to have a feel for the other guy's balamce amd weight, so he wastes his effort pishing in the rong place and gets out of position as a result.

No ****. He's been playing football for a year. The kids he's going up against have been playing the game since they were 3 years old.

You can't teach physical ability, Kool plus experience from playing can teach him how to be a DE

Briggs is a dt all the way. Dude has a lower body like he went to Dr miami. No way he stays at DE or no reason for him to remain there. He's a 285-290dt right away

Advertisement

No ****. He's been playing football for a year. The kids he's going up against have been playing the game since they were 3 years old.

You can't teach physical ability, Kool plus experience from playing can teach him how to be a DE
You can coach technique. Not so clear you cam coach instinct/feel for the game. Some kids get it, others don't. Hence my cmnent he could make a coach look really smart or really dumb.

Looking at '18, do you think St. Louis can kick to LT and move to Donaldson to RT or is Herbert a tackle? It seems like we have a lot of guys that are RT/tweener types, but no true LT (yet)
Yep @ no true LT yet. I guess the hope is for St. Louis or George Brown to give us something reasonable at LT. Looking at our projected roster for '18, it wouldn't surprise me to see Donaldson stay at RG for one more year.

Not sure about Herbert, but he'll be counted on for something in '18, it seems. If not him, some other very young OL will need to chip in. If another true Frosh (Scaife or Reed) is expected to give rotational minutes in '18, I'd hope he's an EE.

Advertisement

Yep @ no true LT yet. I guess the hope is for St. Louis or George Brown to give us something reasonable at LT. Looking at our projected roster for '18, it wouldn't surprise me to see Donaldson stay at RG for one more year.

Not sure about Herbert, but he'll be counted on for something in '18, it seems. If not him, some other very young OL will need to chip in. If another true Frosh (Scaife or Reed) is expected to give rotational minutes in '18, I'd hope he's an EE.

I'm of the opinion that Hillery might just have the LT skillset. He's very nimble for a big guy. He needs to refine that pass pro technique. Apparently he arrived on campus at ~300 pounds, so that's very encouraging that he might be ready sooner rather than later (assuming it's good weight). I'm not saying I expect him to anchor the OL a year from now, but he's worth mentioning IMO

I'm of the opinion that Hillery might just have the LT skillset. He's very nimble for a big guy. He needs to refine that pass pro technique. Apparently he arrived on campus at ~300 pounds, so that's very encouraging that he might be ready sooner rather than later (assuming it's good weight). I'm not saying I expect him to anchor the OL a year from now, but he's worth mentioning IMO
Would be happy as heck for someone to jump in. Realistically, would prefer to have 3 Tackles without needing Donaldson to kick out. Would buy us some time for someone else to make himself a viable interior OL.

delone-scaife.jpg

Advertisement
Back