Deion’s Recruiting

A joke, right? Arguably the best cover corner of all-time, though when it came to physicality it was touch rather than tackle football. Maybe the most disinterested tackler of all-time. The joke part is his work ethic & attention to detail as a coach. He's smoke and mirrors, so better have a helluva staff behind him.
Hate to have to cap for a Nole....but this is wrong.
As a player Deion was kind of known as a film junky...that doesnt change as a coach. He knew his guys routes based off of his film watch and cues...he would routinely call out opposing teams plays.
He was probably one of my fav players growing up hence me backing him here.

Recruiting is SMOKE and Mirrors....dude is one of the best talkers there is..and would be able to recruit ANYWHERE. This dude is beating out power 5 schools at f*cking Jackson State for gods sakes. With the infrastructure at a major power 5 he could be a solid coach.

Lol @ Canes turning up nose to Deion coming off of Al Golden, Manny Diaz, and Mark Richt sleeping. Dude is earning his keep at the lower level something i wish our hall of famer Ed Reed would do if he was really serious.

Advertisement

He’s the Greatest CB in history of the NFL & he’s a good coach too.

Won 3 State titles as an OC at Trinity Christian & won a SWAC title last year at JSU.

The hate everyone has for him is irrational & comes from insecurity, he’s a good man & has done great things his entire career. He doesn’t hate Miami & never speaks down on us at all, he doesn’t even love FSU the way yall think he does.

If you question his coaching acumen, you either don’t know what you’re talking about or you’re just blinded with bias

I think I've been fairly consistent, my dislike of Deion stems from my time as an undergrad at UM, when he was playing at F$U. I do agree, rival hatred is irrational.

I have not tended to criticize Deion as a coach, I respect what he is trying to do. I also do believe that he would prefer to coach at F$U and will not be at JSU for 10 or 20 years.

I might joke about Barstool and all of the NIL controversy, but I know that most of these recruits are sincere in wanting to represent JSU and HBCU football.

I just want to be very clear, I give Deion a hard time BECAUSE HE PLAYED FOR F$U 35 years ago. I have a long memory. I also used to boo Warren Morris when he played for the Pittsburgh Pirates (Warren Morris is the guy who hit the walk-off home run for LSU to beat UM in the CWS in 1996 when I was graduating from UM Law).

Won 3 State titles as an OC at Trinity Christian & won a SWAC title last year at JSU.

The hate everyone has for him is irrational & comes from insecurity, he’s a good man & has done great things his entire career. He doesn’t hate Miami & never speaks down on us at all, he doesn’t even love FSU the way yall think he does.

If you question his coaching acumen, you either don’t know what you’re talking about or you’re just blinded with bias

Not one lie told here. Their heads will still remain buried in sand though

Last edited:
So y'all wouldn't have taken Derrick Brooks? Anquan Boldin? Derwin James? Marvin Jones? Amp Lee?

Suuuure
What the **** did Derwin James ever do?

I forgot Anquan Boldin definate take as a cane...Marvin Jones as well.

Derwin James one of the most overrated players i have ever heard of i swear. I mean Jalen Ramsey couldve been said but not that dude.

Advertisement

Derwin James one of the most overrated players i have ever heard of i swear. I mean Jalen Ramsey couldve been said but not that dude.

Completely agree.

And as much as I hate F$U, I might have to add Charlie Ward in there. I went to UM Law with his (eventual) wife Tonja, very nice fam. And I'm sorry, but Tonja had a VERY unfortunate maiden name for the 1990s...

...Harding...

As you said, his rolodex is bigger so pulling some names shouldn't be too hard when you know you're coming out looking great against lesser talent since somehow no one is really talking about that. How many big names will he get to be under him at a P5 school though where the talent advantage is taken away? I'm not saying he can't succeed. I just don't believe he has proven anything as a coach against high talent or even equal talent yet to think he just deserves to get a job at a premier program.
I agree with what your saying, but to be fair, isn't getting the players the #1 job. Take any of the top FCS schools like NDSU. They have superior talent over most FCS schools. They have guys that go to the NFL and who a lot of them could play at the FBS level. I don't hear anyone questioning any of their coaches that have moved onto the FBS. Other schools like Sam Houston State, Jacksonville State, and James Madison are all going to the FBS. So NDSU will continue to dominate at the FCS level. Dion, is just doing what all coaches are supposed to do and that's get the best talent that you can get.

Because of his sports celebrity and persona, it's hard for most to take him seriously. I do agree he needs to earn his stripes before jumping to the next level of coaching.

Didn’t he fail out of FSU after taking an entire semester off and not dropping his classes to stay eligible? Doesn’t he need a degree to coach big boy football?

I don’t know about failing out. He just didn’t return after their bowl. However, he went back and graduated in 2018 or something.

Where is the correlation between those two? Ed Reed is one of the best safeties of all time but we learned that his work ethic in the COS position was subpar.
No we didn't learn that. We were told by numerous people that Ed has pretty much no power to do anything.

Advertisement
A joke, right? Arguably the best cover corner of all-time, though when it came to physicality it was touch rather than tackle football. Maybe the most disinterested tackler of all-time. The joke part is his work ethic & attention to detail as a coach. He's smoke and mirrors, so better have a helluva staff behind him.

He is constantly on lists for best corner of all time. He also was known for the not being the most talented corner of all time, but had a great work ethic. I would be very surprised if someone that went as far as he did, didn't have great attention to detail.

Derwin James coasted in college to get to the pros. That’s how I see him. Totally agree. He had all the measurables in college. Just didn’t apply them very well.

I don't know I seem to recall him being all ACC, all American and a 2x pro bowler but maybe we're thinking of different Derwin James's. If you want to tell me you wouldn't take him over Blades or Reed sure but I'm pretty sure we could have used him from 2014-2017.

Probably the same reason Ed Reed isnt a position coach or a coach here.

But I didnt see where he interviewed for 3 jobs where you got that info?. Im just repeating what he said in an interview about power 5 jobs.
Out of his own mouth to Dan LeBatard. Claims he should have gotten all three because of how amazing he was in the interviews.

Advertisement
So y'all wouldn't have taken Derrick Brooks? Anquan Boldin? Derwin James? Marvin Jones? Amp Lee?

Suuuure

Reread my post because I am pretty positive I said Anquan Boldin in there.

Honestly forgot about Shade Tree and Brooks. I would include them.

Derwin James and Jalen Ramsey were great players but fvck them.

Amp Lee? Really? No I would rather have Leonard Conley, Stephen McGuire, Larry Jones, and Donnell Bennett. You know the guys that made sure we never lost to FSU when Amp Lee was there.

I agree with what your saying, but to be fair, isn't getting the players the #1 job. Take any of the top FCS schools like NDSU. They have superior talent over most FCS schools. They have guys that go to the NFL and who a lot of them could play at the FBS level. I don't hear anyone questioning any of their coaches that have moved onto the FBS. Other schools like Sam Houston State, Jacksonville State, and James Madison are all going to the FBS. So NDSU will continue to dominate at the FCS level. Dion, is just doing what all coaches are supposed to do and that's get the best talent that you can get.

Because of his sports celebrity and persona, it's hard for most to take him seriously. I do agree he needs to earn his stripes before jumping to the next level of coaching.
The difference is none of those coaches are talking about deserving a P5 HC job because of their success dominating lesser programs and no one is making the argument that they should be considered for those jobs. At best, they might be considered for a G5 position to start.

Great post! I don’t know Deion personally but we have a mutual friend which always has spoken highly of him.

Advertisement
Derwin James at one point was, "Better than Sean Taylor," according to their fans lol.

Yep. Derwin was soooooo much better than Sean, if someone is crazy enough to believe SemenHole fans...

1645580459438.png

The difference is none of those coaches are talking about deserving a P5 HC job because of their success dominating lesser programs and no one is making the argument that they should be considered for those jobs. At best, they might be considered for a G5 position to start.
Not exactly true. HC at Kansas State is from NDSU.

I agree about Dion saying he deserves a P5 job doesn't help his case. He hasn't been in coaching long enough and hasn't had any eye catching coaching moments that deserve a HC job at a G5 let alone a P5 school.

Last edited:
I don't know I seem to recall him being all ACC, all American and a 2x pro bowler but maybe we're thinking of different Derwin James's. If you want to tell me you wouldn't take him over Blades or Reed sure but I'm pretty sure we could have used him from 2014-2017.
You are right we were missing all 3 of his ints and 2 ff.

Your proving my point ...dude was an overrated player.

Him being a 2x pro bowler has no bearing on what he did in college. In reference around that time Jaquan Johnson had more production.

But have at it ...Hes still the next Sean Taylor lol

Advertisement
Back