Defensive Stop Rate

Warrior808

Recruit
Interesting article in The Athletic about defensive stop rates (percentage of drives that end in downs, turnovers or punts). No metric is perfect but I like this one for grading an overall defensive performance. Prioritizes the end result that really matters (points given up) but doesn't get skewed by tempo offenses vs grind it out offenses, plays per game etc. It also doesnt care how you get there, bend but dont break... Attacking defense.. none of that affects the metric, can you stop the other team before they score is all that matters. Field position will have an affect but with over 100 drives at this point in the year it should smooth out fairly well.

Stop rate also passes the smell test when you look at the rankings. Georgia is #1. Miami.... 89th. Ironically right behind the fighting Banda's of Utah St

We played a number of high powered offenses so I am willing to cut some slack. That said, 89th is nowhere near acceptable regardless of schedule

Advertisement
Interesting article in The Athletic about defensive stop rates (percentage of drives that end in downs, turnovers or punts). No metric is perfect but I like this one for grading an overall defensive performance. Prioritizes the end result that really matters (points given up) but doesn't get skewed by tempo offenses vs grind it out offenses, plays per game etc. It also doesnt care how you get there, bend but dont break... Attacking defense.. none of that affects the metric, can you stop the other team before they score is all that matters. Field position will have an affect but with over 100 drives at this point in the year it should smooth out fairly well.

Stop rate also passes the smell test when you look at the rankings. Georgia is #1. Miami.... 89th. Right behind the fighting Banda's of Utah St

We played a number of high powered offenses so I am willing to cut some slack. That said, 89th is nowhere near acceptable regardless of schedule
Well we all know Manny’s D needs to create chaos behind the LOS (havoc rate), then generate turnovers and negative plays. This year’s team does neither.

Well we all know Manny’s D needs to create chaos behind the LOS (havoc rate), then generate turnovers and negative plays. This year’s team does neither.
Manny defense relies on mistakes by the opponent that’s why his best defensive play call is the dropped pass or offensive penalties
When thst play doesn’t work and the other team doesn’t commit penalties his defense never works

Advertisement
UGA is loaded on defense, but who is the best offense or even best QB they have played?

Bo Nix?

They have faced a ton of tomato cans at QB.

While we have faced Kenny Pickett, Brennan Armstrong, Sam Howell, Bryce Young, Devin Leary ALL better than anyone UGA has faced. You can throw in Thorne from Mich state too.

Now I'm not saying our defense is anywhere near UGA, as we don't have half the talent on defense they do.

Manny defense relies on mistakes by the opponent that’s why his best defensive play call is the dropped pass or offensive penalties
When thst play doesn’t work and the other team doesn’t commit penalties his defense never works
His D worked quite well when we had a great DL, now not so much.

Advertisement
UGA is loaded on defense, but who is the best offense or even best QB they have played?

Bo Nix?

They have faced a ton of tomato cans at QB.

While we have faced Kenny Pickett, Brennan Armstrong, Sam Howell, Bryce Young, Devin Leary ALL better than anyone UGA has faced. You can throw in Thorne from Mich state too.

Now I'm not saying our defense is anywhere near UGA, as we don't have half the talent on defense they do.
Yeah, but it’s become clear that a tomato’s can can put up 30 points on our D, so I don’t get the comparison.

Thats why I like stop rate, it doenst care how you get there and it eliminates other stats and excuses. You know what, if your defense needs dropped passes and mistakes to succeed fine. Then you better be able to find a way to magically make that happen consistently in every single game or dont complain.

Style doesnt matter, bias in how you get there doesnt matter. Your graded on the only result that should determine if your defense is good or not. And with very limited outside influences that can skew the data.

We've done this post a few times over the years.

I like looking at a handful together: Yards/play (77th; allow 5.7 yards/play), 3rd down % (91st; allow 41% of 3rd downs to be converted), 1st downs allowed (87th; allow 22.4 first downs per game), points per play (96th; we allow .451).

So, yeah, it's ugly.

Advertisement
We've done this post a few times over the years.

I like looking at a handful together: Yards/play (77th; allow 5.7 yards/play), 3rd down % (91st; allow 41% of 3rd downs to be converted), 1st downs allowed (87th; allow 22.4 first downs per game), points per play (96th; we allow .451).

So, yeah, it's ugly.
I don’t need to look at any of this **** to tell you we are a sorry defensive unit.

We’ve looked better since the roster flip occurred but only marginally. I would be curious to see what those numbers look like since then though.

Advertisement
The only metric our d doesn’t suck is the Ray Charles metric
looks-good-to-me.jpg

Still love Ray Charles.

Advertisement
Back