Defensive Stop Rate

Manny defense relies on mistakes by the opponent that’s why his best defensive play call is the dropped pass or offensive penalties
When thst play doesn’t work and the other team doesn’t commit penalties his defense never works
Not true. I don't care for his scheme either but give credit where it's due. He has had a few good defenses and one excellent defense.

Advertisement
Manny’s defense has consistently been about causing havoc from two levels, and it puts a ton of pressure on the Safeties. We don’t have 2nd level IQ &/or speed to make up for lack of havoc.

Like, I think Flagg is a smart player, and we see him making plays from time to time b/c of his IQ; however, we also see far too often he’s left butt naked b/c of the lack of athleticism. Steed is a guy who’s become a good tackler as of late; he’s, imo, our best LB, but he, too, is limited in open space. If it’s downhill, he’s OK, but sideline to sideline can hurt him.

So if the guys can’t get home, that leaves us extremely vulnerable up the middle. The middle is virtually wide open every game. Any OC worth a **** would stop trying to beat us w/ deep shots, and hit us w/ slants, or force our LBs to cover a RB coming out the back field. I’ve re-watched practically all of our games, and the QBs we’ve faced have not peppered us across the middle, except for UNC. Couple that w/ our DBs playing so far off WRs, and u have a recipe for the 85th ranked defense.
Very very very well said. That just about says it all

Not true. I don't care for his scheme either but give credit where it's due. He has had a few good defenses and one excellent defense.
I got to disagree
Statistically his defense was good
But when they played a good offense they got lit up more times then he shut one down
Excellent would he 2001 canes ore more recently 2017 Clemson or this years uga those were defenses that took the will out of the other team
Manny did that twice against vt and nd every other big game his defense wasn’t great

I got to disagree
Statistically his defense was good
But when they played a good offense they got lit up more times then he shut one down
Excellent would he 2001 canes ore more recently 2017 Clemson or this years uga those were defenses that took the will out of the other team
Manny did that twice against vt and nd every other big game his defense wasn’t great
Cool we will agree to disagree. Man if your standard is 01 Miami then **** lol prepare to be continuously disappointed. They got lit up mostly because Manny chokes in big games and he would go all soft zone when that D was excellent in man. One of the reasons I don't care for him as a coach.

Cool we will agree to disagree. Man if your standard is 01 Miami then **** lol prepare to be continuously disappointed. They got lit up mostly because Manny chokes in big games and he would go all soft zone when that D was excellent in man. One of the reasons I don't care for him as a coach.
I agree man he had stretches of greatness when he shortened the field and played man
But he’ll do that and then go in zone telegraphed blitzes from the secondary
And goes bend but don’t break
I don’t know why you wouldn’t keep doing what your good at

Advertisement
I agree man he had stretches of greatness when he shortened the field and played man
But he’ll do that and then go in zone telegraphed blitzes from the secondary
And goes bend but don’t break
I don’t know why you wouldn’t keep doing what your good at
Because he coaches like a scared coward. That 2017 defense had the players to stop that Clemson offense with Kelly Bryant at QB but instead of playing man like we did most of the year he comes out in this super soft pansy zone defense and Clemson ripped it up. Then when we went man in the 2nd half they didn't do **** against us. No matter, Rosier and our offense wasn't going to score on that Clemson defense anyway. Personally the 2018 defense was my favorite and the best he has had ever but our offense was somewhere back in the 70s. What a travesty.

Because he coaches like a scared coward. That 2017 defense had the players to stop that Clemson offense with Kelly Bryant at QB but instead of playing man like we did most of the year he comes out in this super soft pansy zone defense and Clemson ripped it up. Then when we went man in the 2nd half they didn't do **** against us. No matter, Rosier and our offense wasn't going to score on that Clemson defense anyway. Personally the 2018 defense was my favorite and the best he has had ever but our offense was somewhere back in the 70s. What a travesty.
I agree that defense was his best

I agree that defense was his best
@jsy You mentioned the 01 defense as being your favorite Hurricane defense. I have a couple. That 91 defense was extraordinary but the D that I might love the most was the 03 defense. Outside of that game vs UF that D was insane! I will go to my grave saying this but if Coker is smart enough to see that Brock Berlin's true gift and comfort zone was operating out of the shotgun we don't lose a game that year. If Coker sees that in spring and switches to a shotgun based attack preferably spread we wouldn't have lost a game and would have played LSU or SoCal for the title and maybe Berlin gets a Heisman invite out of it. That's how good that 03 defense was. What do you think?

Last edited:
Like most of you, I pretty much watch college football all day in night. Defenses all across the land flat out stink, really nobody tackles anybody anymore. Its a race to 35-40pts every week. For Manny's defense to be this poor, no matter the metric, really should put into perspective how big he has failed as a defensive coach. Its frustrating

Advertisement
Like most of you, I pretty much watch college football all day in night. Defenses all across the land flat out stink, really nobody tackles anybody anymore. Its a race to 35-40pts every week. For Manny's defense to be this poor, no matter the metric, really should put into perspective how big he has failed as a defensive coach. Its frustrating
I watch football from 12 until 1 am every week, for most of my life. The first half of the season was all time bad , not Miami bad but ALL TIME BAD!!! There’s a reason we were running away with the missed tackles lead in cfb. The scheme is flawed and has ran its course , it’s a gimmick that’ll continue to get exposed most weeks. That’s just facts , if people want to live in never never land that’s on them

We’ve played:
1. Bama (13th Total Offense)
2. App St (17th Total Offense)
3. CCUSt (96th Total Offense - FCS)
4. MSU (30th Total Offense)
5. UVA (1st Total Offense)
6. UNC (9th Total Offense)
7. NCSt (58th Total Offense)
8. Pitt (3rd Total Offense)
9. GT (62nd Total Offense)

We’ve played some good offensive teams thus far. Our 24th ranked O (which literally surged from Week 5 til now) has kept us in these boat races. The flaw of Manny’s defense is ripe for these prolific offenses.

Fortunately, FSU & VT both rank 86th & 110th respectively in total offense, so we should easily handle both.

The squad who may give us problems is Duke who is quietly the 31st ranked offense in the nation. Manny’s style is played. U can’t be reckless all the time. The announcers kept saying in the GT game, the middle of the field is open, not sure why Sims isn’t looking there. That’s all game, unfortunately.
every good coach with a decent QB has light him up for 6 years. I will be fair and say the officiating hasn't been great but great coaches pick him apart.

I watch football from 12 until 1 am every week, for most of my life. The first half of the season was all time bad , not Miami bad but ALL TIME BAD!!! There’s a reason we were running away with the missed tackles lead in cfb. The scheme is flawed and has ran its course , it’s a gimmick that’ll continue to get exposed most weeks. That’s just facts , if people want to live in never never land that’s on them
cuncliffe, leach, Manny, etc. coaches who never played any level of college tend to be one side of the ball gimmick coaches.

Advertisement
Purdue sitting at #25 in defense stop rate. Brad Lambert doing well there after a successful stint at Marshall. Boring hire and definitely some question marks about recruiting capabilities but stack him with an elite staff and I think he would do well.

Tem Lukabu from BC has also done a great job with that defense.

Both Purdue and BC sitting top 25 in all of the important defensive categories.

Advertisement
But even in our best days manny always had a lot of dropped passes to help
And the Coastal SP+ on offense was lower 33% for a while there. Now it’s Pitt UVA & UNC putting up #s. So was the D good before or were the Coastal Os just terrible?

Coastal still sucks balls just not offensively as many balls.

I remember the accolades as we recruited LB's yet none have panned out as desired. For 20 years we've been waiting for a QB that is a winner, Kaaya came close but left early and ow that we have TVD all of a sudden our offense is moving at will even with out RB depth or a definitive OL. Amazing how one key player can elevate a team. How can one criticize the new recruits that Manny recruited (or portaled) that excel. TVD with Garcia is exciting and fun to watch. One or two LB's can alter our defense as we have the rest of the pieces and talent at each position equals winners. We are so close...so close, closer then we have been.

Advertisement
Back