defensive recruiting

Bostwick was a cloud casualty. He's one of those guys that Muschamp negative recruited to UF. You can say that Golden dropped the ball but it's not that's a ball he'll have to juggle again.

Valentine still hasn't gotten into LSU and was associated with a bunch of flea bags, not sure what was up with Bryant, Bain didn't even play DT in high school but I have a feeling we would have taken him if we weren't trying to impose scholarship losses in 2013, Clark stings the worst as he seemed to be gift wrapped to Miami.

Cerenod and Nelson are whatever, not prospects worth discussing.

Advertisement
Re: Cerenod, we don't really go hard after him, then we show a little interest late in the process and ultimately we decide we don't want him (I think). But then after signing day we go out and sign Joe Brown (currently listed at DT)?

At least Cerenod had D1 offers.

Don't say defensive recruiting when it's just another DT thread. We've recruited well on the edges, linebacker, and the secondary.

Re: Cerenod, we don't really go hard after him, then we show a little interest late in the process and ultimately we decide we don't want him (I think). But then after signing day we go out and sign Joe Brown (currently listed at DT)?

Brown playing guard and has been a camp surprise. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

The only misses I feel we really had at DT were Bostwick and Valentine. The Valentine situation I have said repeatedly stunk to high heaven, kid was being led around by a notorious street hustler that sells players, and flipped to one of the dirtiest programs in the $EC. The kid changed his story every other week as to why he was wavering. Whole thing was shady.

Bostwick seemed like a straight forward, low key kid. This one hurt the most IMO. I thought we were in it down to the wire, but as NFC said, this was one that maybe the NCAA "cloud" tipped things against us in a race that came down to the wire. I mean we will never truly know, but all that sh8t certainly didn't HELP us, and there have been recruits that mentioned last year how they had been scared off over the NCAA stuff from UM. So its not inconceivable at all, that in a very tight competition with UF, the kid decided to play it safe and not come here.

Keith was somewhat of a miss, but the guy was a total @ssclown. The kid turned into a sideshow fool, and obviously the staff really stopped caring about the guy at some point in the process. From what it sounds like so far, it wasn't much of a loss.

Cerenod was an UNDERSIZED kid, who we looked at as a "maybe" Plan B guy, and in the end, they chose not to really go hard after him. Im not sure how you call that a "miss". For whatever reason, they just didn't think he fit what they wanted.

One thing I don't understand is why we aren't recruiting Texas more for DTs. Butch spent a lot of time hunting for DTs in TX. They have always produced a decent crop. Florida just doesn't have the quality DTs it used to have. Every year there is a small handful, but between the intense competition with FSU, UF, grade casualties, the $EC trying to raid the state, its probably the single most competitive recruiting environment in the country, with a limited crop of quality options.

Im not sure what the solution is. I DO think that we got a **** of a steal in Jenkins. Ive been on that kid's bandwagon since last year, when he just started exploding after he slimmed down and got in shape. I think he's going to be VERY pleasant surprise.

Our problem could ALSO be, that we keep trying to recruit guys to fit a NT profile for a 3-4. And frankly, that means a much SMALLER pool to draw from. When you run a 4-3, you can recruit DEs, OLs, and other type players that could GROW into a 4-3 DT. Look at Kamalu now. Sapp came here as a TE. But when you are looking for a 325 lb NT to clog the middle, those options just aren't there anymore, so you are limited to going after really big boys that already are big developed DTs or NTs, and those just aren't as common.

Advertisement
I think you are not finding many FR stud DTs. Most DTs come in unpolished and under conditioned. They mostly need to redshirt or play limited snaps. It's tough banging on other big guys over and over. It is now or never for us to see serious improvement on our DL. Guys put in position to make plays

Not many solid DT's in sofla.

Last 2 years I count

Jaynard Bostwick
Khairi Clark
Travonte Valentine
Keith Bryant
Maquedious Bain
Monty Nelson
Anthony Moten
Edgar Cerenord

None of those guys have done a thing yet.

Bostwick, Bain, Nelson, Cerenord are all in the rotation as true freshmen or rs freshmen.

I don't care about rotations. Corey King was in our rotation. So was Earl Moore as a freshmans. What have they done on the field so far?

Brown playing guard and has been a camp surprise. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

I haven't heard anything about Brown. The fact is, he's still listed as a DT on the official roster.

I haven't heard anything about Brown. The fact is, he's still listed as a DT on the official roster.

D$ posted about his transition to guard going better than expected in his freshmen class breakdown

Advertisement
Has D"ONofrio actually had any recruiting success? The Canes need a top notch DC in the mold of Lubrick, Tuberville, Davis or Shiano. That will bring in the recruits. Bring Back ED Orgeron, that will help.

If the defense has another subpar year, I hope Albert gives him a look.

I agree... He did a agreat job at USC and the snubbed him... He would be a great fit at The U

He's been listed on the depth chart at guard during camp.

Has D"ONofrio actually had any recruiting success? The Canes need a top notch DC in the mold of Lubrick, Tuberville, Davis or Shiano. That will bring in the recruits. Bring Back ED Orgeron, that will help.

If the defense has another subpar year, I hope Albert gives him a look.

I agree... He did a agreat job at USC and the snubbed him... He would be a great fit at The U

Everybody knows Orgeron is a dirty recruiter, there's no chance Golden approach him after the NCAA mess.

If Bostwick was in this class, there's no way he doesn't end up here. Perfect case of the cloud scaring players away!

Advertisement
Don't say defensive recruiting when it's just another DT thread. We've recruited well on the edges, linebacker, and the secondary.

DT and LB were my questions along with the overall quality from offense compared to defense.

"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."

Mark Twain

Advertisement
I don't think we missed as much as possible think. Yeah, we didn't get some of our targets, but we didn't exactly strike out with Courtel Jenkins, Calvin Hourtelou, probably Wyche (if he gets in shape) and perhaps Moten. You people are focused on whom we missed, but forget whom we got. I think the coaches are somewhat more satisfied about our group of DTs than are most on this board (from something I read or heard a while back.)

Doesn't mean we don't need to step it up and bring in some more.

As far as Valentiine, I don't know that we can attribute that to AG losing. I had heard--and I've posted this about ten times on this board--that there were some very substantial academic issues involved, and I'm not sure he was ever going to get in. There was apparently some type of program being suggested to him academically. I think Donna herself might have been involved. I don't think TV and his mother wanted to go along with it. I believe my source is reliable and doesn't throw stuff around lightly. Still, I heard just something very general, no specifics, but I do think it was more than Al whiffing, or the wrong type of scheme, etc., etc.

There really is a dearth of big athletic men in south Florida it seems. There are tons of skill players, even DEs and LBs, and an increasing number of OLs, but still DTs seem to elude us. Look at where most of our outstanding DTs have come from--as many outside of south Florida as from it. Brooksville (J. Brown), Apopka (Sapp), Kennedy (Arkansas), Maryland (Chicago), Damione Lewis (Texas), etc. Then we have Wilfork (Lantana, I think. Is that Broward?), Joseph, Derwin Jones, Jimmie Jones (Okeechobee), etc.

I think as many or more of our studs came from outside south Florida.

DT and LB were my questions along with the overall quality from offense compared to defense.

I understand but I don't necessarily agree. It's more DT recruiting failure threads but I'm not trying to be a **** about it. The thing most frustrating about our LB recruiting is it's been really good actually, but the guys just can't stay in the game. We used to joke about wanting goons on this team and we have definitely found a ton of LBs like it. Doesn't do any good to have a "goon" if he gets kicked out of school.

He's been listed on the depth chart at guard during camp.

AG has created a new postion it called Gem in progress

Advertisement
Back