defensive recruiting

ball915

All-American
Might be a Pete question but why is it that our offensive recruiting is lightyears ahead of our defensive recruiting?

Coley is a major factor on offense but he have no issues landing players at every position group. On defense we can recruit at DB and DE, struggle at LB and are putrid at DT. For as "good of a recruiter" Barrow was we certainly landed some talent at LB but not nearly enough. Hurlie proved to be a solid recruiter last year on offense so am thinking this could help us with LB's. Jethro is getting the DE's, including an absolute stud in 3 consecutive classes (McCord, AQM, Thomas) but has whiffed over and over again on DT's for the most part. Are our offensive coaches just that much better recruiters than our defensive coaches?

Do they not want to play for D'Onfrio? You'd think Al being a "defensive guy" he'd be able to land more defensive talent than offensive like Carroll at USC and Saban at Bama. Thoughts on this???

Advertisement
We've made a lot of recruiting mistakes the past several years, and our D has looked awful, so it's no surprise we haven't stocked up there. Coley's a great recruiter. Dorito isn't. Our future QBs are a reason for WRs to commit, etc.

Also, there just aren't that many DTs out there, whereas DBs grow on trees in So Fla. I think we've recruited okay at LB, but many of the kids have had to leave the program or didn't make it in.

Like above alluded to linebcker isnt lack of recruiting or more lack of getting non- dumbasses. Paul, figs, blue, johnson, terry. Beamer wanted blue badly, johnson was doing awesome here, figs was on his way to serviceable/stardom, terry was good on special teams as a frosh, and paul played a good amount.

DT- briscoe and ivery both had decent offers and flaked out. Moore still has hope/time, king was a late flier and useless, and the rest is history with valentine and others. Not many solid DT's in sofla.

Lastly lets be real we have missed on serious studs on offense too such as lane, cook, rudolph etc. but because there are a million sofla stud rbs and wr's people forget about that.

Move on clouds gone and golden is killin it we have one of the best recruiters in college period watch and enjoy

Move on clouds gone and golden is killin it we have one of the best recruiters in college period watch and enjoy

680.gif

Advertisement
This thread makes no sense outside of the context of a completed class. A strong case could be made that both 2014 and 2013 were stronger classes defensively. So you are really just basing this off this years incomplete class.

Recruiting is fine. Honestly it was mostly fine under randy till he mailed it in. Players gotta develop and we need to prepare better for games and adjust during them. We're always gonna get athletes.

Actually we have recruited pretty good on defense. Safety, DE, LB, and corner. We have just sucked at recruiting DTs.

LB we lost a couple to being stupid, bond couldn't make it in, Witt concused himself out of football. We have lost a lot of LBs.

Advertisement
Not many solid DT's in sofla.

Last 2 years I count

Jaynard Bostwick
Khairi Clark
Travonte Valentine
Keith Bryant
Maquedious Bain
Monty Nelson
Anthony Moten
Edgar Cerenord

Yea if we could of landed about 3 of thoes guys we would be a much better team then we are today and that would be scary... I think this is D'Onfrio last year at Miami kids don't want to play for him.

Last 2 years I count

Jaynard Bostwick
Khairi Clark
Travonte Valentine
Keith Bryant
Maquedious Bain
Monty Nelson
Anthony Moten
Edgar Cerenord

None of those guys have done a thing yet. So they wouldn't have helped us yet either. And a few of them are almost sure busts.

It's a very tough position to accurately recruit because most HS DTs are big fat lazy kids who got by in HS by being bigger and stronger than everyone around them. You don't know how those mostly lazy fat kids are going to react when they get to college and have to work hard and come to the realization that they won't get by pushing around 230 pound OL like they did in HS.

Look at a guy like Courtel. Low rated guy. Huge motor and chip on his shoulder. I'd take him 10 out of 10 times over almost anyone on your list.

IMO its because of our defensive play and coaching the past few years. You have to remember on this level all of these kids share the same goal which is to win and learn/build their potential to become a high draft pick in the pros. Its about their development so if you aren't showing that you're able to develop guys into high draft picks you aren't going to get these high prospects.

Advertisement
Has D"ONofrio actually had any recruiting success? The Canes need a top notch DC in the mold of Lubrick, Tuberville, Davis or Shiano. That will bring in the recruits. Bring Back ED Orgeron, that will help.

Last edited:
Has D"ONofrio actually had any recruiting success? The Canes need a top notch DC in the mold of Lubrick, Tuberville, Davis or Shiano. That will bring in the recruits. Bring Back ED Orgeron, that will help.

If the defense has another subpar year, I hope Albert gives him a look.

Advertisement
We didnt want Bain or Cerenord. The whole clarke situation is almost as weird as powell. Parents season ticket holders and out of nowhere commits to u***. Moten we got and is more of a d-end at this point like chick. I admittedly don't know who monty nelson is. And then yes we missed on those big 3.

Ill give you even the first 5 on your list. So 5 dt's compared to a million wr's, cbs, safety's, and rbs was my point. I don't want to make excuses but lets be real could anyone have gotten valentine to come after all we have heard about behind closed doors? Bostwick and Bryant were the straight misses imo.

Last 2 years I count

Jaynard Bostwick
Khairi Clark
Travonte Valentine
Keith Bryant
Maquedious Bain
Monty Nelson
Anthony Moten
Edgar Cerenord

Last 2 years I count

Jaynard Bostwick
Khairi Clark
Travonte Valentine
Keith Bryant
Maquedious Bain
Monty Nelson
Anthony Moten
Edgar Cerenord

Yea if we could of landed about 3 of thoes guys we would be a much better team then we are today and that would be scary... I think this is D'Onfrio last year at Miami kids don't want to play for him.

Im all for bashing the guy..Believe me. But lets be fair here.

Jaynard Bostwick - All signs had him coming to us. Al didnt close the deal on this one. No excuses. He missed.

Khari Clark - Was overrated. Did we really need another project at DT. I mean this is a kid who probably would have fought conditioning/weight issues his whole time here. And sorry, but after Gerald Willis Jr from Louisana bytched him on twitter and he didnt stand up for himself, I didnt want this guy anyway. Dude is a fat softie. Dont need anymore of them on the team. I saw Vince Wilfork many times play in HS and he was a bad a$$ times 10..he would have beat the **** out of ole boy as soon as they hit greentree. Then they could become teammates after that. Those are the kinds of guys we need.

Travonte Valentine - Miss. Al dropped the ball. We can say the Genron sold him to LSU but its still a miss.

Keith Bryant - Miss but this kid was on the fence with me in regards to how he played his Sr year. Didnt wow me at all. And it says alot when 813_Jrock is saying that he is playing on the scout team and Tr-Fr are passing him up on FSU DT depth chart. So is this really a miss?

Maquedious Bain - Didnt recruit him at DT. Didnt even play DT his whole senior year. I dont count this as a miss.

Monty Nelson - Dont even think we recruiting him. Could be wrong.

Anthony Moten - UM

Edgar Cerenod - How bad did we really want this guy to not even aggressively pursue him until the last minute? Would this just have been another DIvory situation? A band aid to cover the bullet wound? I dont really consider this a miss.

Really the only two I consider genuine misses that could have helped us this year are Valentine and Bostwick. And oh by the way, is Valentine even in school yet?? If he had that much trouble getting into LSU..What the **** do you think would have happened here? I dont even think we would have ever seen the kid in O&G even if we had gotten him.

If Al would switch the defense I really think his legacy here can be bright and our defensive recruiting would skyrocket, especially at the DT position. It seems like Al makes recruiting a lot harder for himself with this terrible defense we display. I don't really have a problem with him as a coach but when a coach can't see the obvious it makes a fan base go crazy, all fingers point to Al as the reason we struggle recruiting defensive players that fit our system. Also one thing I noticed about our recruiting is that our coaches do not know how to take advantage of certain states that will be critical for the following year.

Last 2 years I count

Jaynard Bostwick
Khairi Clark
Travonte Valentine
Keith Bryant
Maquedious Bain
Monty Nelson
Anthony Moten
Edgar Cerenord

Im all for bashing the guy..Believe me. But lets be fair here.

Jaynard Bostwick - All signs had him coming to us. Al didnt close the deal on this one. No excuses. He missed.

Khari Clark - Was overrated. Did we really need another project at DT. I mean this is a kid who probably would have fought conditioning/weight issues his whole time here. And sorry, but after Gerald Willis Jr from Louisana bytched him on twitter and he didnt stand up for himself, I didnt want this guy anyway. Dude is a fat softie. Dont need anymore of them on the team. I saw Vince Wilfork many times play in HS and he was a bad a$$ times 10..he would have beat the **** out of ole boy as soon as they hit greentree. Then they could become teammates after that. Those are the kinds of guys we need.

Travonte Valentine - Miss. Al dropped the ball. We can say the Genron sold him to LSU but its still a miss.

Keith Bryant - Miss but this kid was on the fence with me in regards to how he played his Sr year. Didnt wow me at all. And it says alot when 813_Jrock is saying that he is playing on the scout team and Tr-Fr are passing him up on FSU DT depth chart. So is this really a miss?

Maquedious Bain - Didnt recruit him at DT. Didnt even play DT his whole senior year. I dont count this as a miss.

Monty Nelson - Dont even think we recruiting him. Could be wrong.

Anthony Moten - UM

Edgar Cerenod - How bad did we really want this guy to not even aggressively pursue him until the last minute? Would this just have been another DIvory situation? A band aid to cover the bullet wound? I dont really consider this a miss.

Really the only two I consider genuine misses that could have helped us this year are Valentine and Bostwick. And oh by the way, is Valentine even in school yet?? If he had that much trouble getting into LSU..What the **** do you think would have happened here? I dont even think we would have ever seen the kid in O&G even if we had gotten him.

lol look it doesn't matter if Al "dropped the ball" with Valentine. he BARELY got into LSU. even if he signed here he wasn't gonna play here.

Advertisement
Back