Defensive Rankings

I said using App State as the measuring stick was arbitrary, not our overall record. However, using our overall record to measure our defense is obviously a poor choice since the offense (which was objectively awful) contributes equally to that.

To your point about top offenses we faced, against the best 3 we gave up:
24 to UF (who averaged 33)
27 to Louisville (who averaged 33)
28 to UNC (who averaged 32)

So we didn't get "lit up" by any of them. The D played one awful game all year, giving up 42 to a VT team that averaged 30. That's an obvious outlier.

I am saying that the only number that really matters is the record which is 6-7. And I agree to disagree on the Defense. I think our Defense contributed to that 6-7 record in not getting stops when we needed them. I hope you are right and having a new OC will fix things.

Advertisement
I am saying that the only number that really matters is the record which is 6-7. And I agree to disagree on the Defense. I think our Defense contributed to that 6-7 record in not getting stops when we needed them. I hope you are right and having a new OC will fix things.

They were abysmal on 3rd and 4th down

It seems we were better than we all thought. Fix the O and add a competent kicker. Lets hope Manny has the IQ to accomplish this.

How good was our defense....they made the teams we play worse statistically speaking averages on the year then Miami played on offense.

Example...Miami avg 3.3 TDs per game, the defense allowed 2.1 TD We averaged 367 yards per game on O, opponents averaged 310. Miami averaged 19 first downs a game, our defense gave up an average of 16.

Statistically speaking, our defense made the offenses they played worse then Miami. 6-7 was on the O not the D

You lack reading comprehension. We had one of the nation's top defenses, even with our Offense who was dead last and always left us in poor field position. Wake up from your como my friend.
Please stop, the defense sucks at tackling, there is zero communication, the opposition players are running wide open all the time, a simple misdirection always results in a touchdown, and most of all we play slow af. You must have not watched the recent bowl games, the defense of Wisconsin, Oregon, Baylor, and Georgia makes ours look like a ******* little league. Go rewatch those games, everybody is communicating, playing fast and hard, and laying the ******* wood. Again that is the ******* simple/fundamental **** and we absolutely suck at it.

Advertisement
I'm gonna shut this thread down right now

4th and 17
29 missed tackles in one game
how many leads in the 4th quarter that we lost?
GR15 in pass coverage
how many turnover chains seen?
Patchan starting half the year over GR15
0-28
3 Defensive linemen
Massive regression in people like bandy/shaq etc.

no shut up don't even reply to me, get blake baker out of here.

F*** the rankings. We all saw 4th & 17 at UNC, Virginia Tech's fullback looking like Larry Czonka, FIU, and Duke. LB and DB recruiting are crippling the roster.

Overhaul is needed with the defensive staff as well. Don't kid yourself for a second.

FIU had 13 points at half, any competent offense would have us leading 28-13 and the games over
Duke had 13 points going into the 4th with like 3 yards in the 3Q, any competent offense would have us up 3-4 scores already

They played five Top 50 offenses and held all five below their season averages.

It’s not a dominant defense and there’s room for improvement, but it’s been good for four years.
How good you like us to be at LB and CB next season?

Yep, we’re the only ones. All the other top-ranked defenses made every play all year long. Never gave up crucial conversions or scores. In fact, I think they all pitched year-long shutouts and only failed to go undefeated because their offenses let them down.

Right! People are crazy. Show a me a defense that didn't give up a big play or two. If our offense held up its end of the bargain, we have a better season.

Advertisement
One reason defensive HCs love slow *** offenses.... makes D numbers look better than they are.

Trust your eyes. We did some things well on D but we weren’t as good as we should have been and struggled to get stops in big moments.
Exactly that’s all I’m saying, stats are frivolous if you CANT depend on them when you need stops the most in the 4th quarter which we failed to do so in every loss this year in the regular season

Advertisement
You lack reading comprehension. We had one of the nation's top defenses, even with our Offense who was dead last and always left us in poor field position. Wake up from your como my friend.

Those rankings mean **** because Miami is 6-7 and despite how good the defense was, in 4th quarter when it mattered most they crumbled. Forget what the offense did or didnt do for the defense. The 4th quarter drives were against trash *** teams too.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, UM had 4th qtr leads in 4/7 losses, another loss they missed a PAT to tie the game with 3:00 mins left in the 4th qtr. Then there's the FIU debacle trailing 23-3 with 10 mins remaining in the 4th. UM's defensive ranking is meaningless. Having a 4th qtr lead doesn't absolve the offense but the defense isn't nearly as stout as you make out. You're dreaming if you think UM is an OC away from 10 wins

Advertisement
Anybody that thinks the Miami hurricanes defense sucks doesn’t know what they are talking about. They literally carried the team for 3 seasons.

We didn't turn the ball over on d like we have in years past. We do that, and we'd be top ten.

Anybody that thinks the Miami hurricanes defense sucks doesn’t know what they are talking about. They literally carried the team for 3 seasons.
They ain't carried crap. Our schedule was horrible. If they were great they shut out GT, La tech and FIU. Golden was winning 8 games with the worse D known to mankind. its not hard to win 8 games in the ACC.

Advertisement
Back