Defensive Rankings

I said using App State as the measuring stick was arbitrary, not our overall record. However, using our overall record to measure our defense is obviously a poor choice since the offense (which was objectively awful) contributes equally to that.

To your point about top offenses we faced, against the best 3 we gave up:
24 to UF (who averaged 33)
27 to Louisville (who averaged 33)
28 to UNC (who averaged 32)

So we didn't get "lit up" by any of them. The D played one awful game all year, giving up 42 to a VT team that averaged 30. That's an obvious outlier.

How many points did the fiu offense average and what did we give up?

Advertisement
Anybody that thinks the Miami hurricanes defense sucks doesn’t know what they are talking about. They literally carried the team for 3 seasons.

I'm not saying it sucks. I'm saying it need improvement. Its not this dominant force some people here like to believe it is.
Unfortunately its not possible to improve upon it if the HC won't admit to its issues.

As I've mentioned in previous posts, UM had 4th qtr leads in 4/7 losses, another loss they missed a PAT to tie the game with 3:00 mins left in the 4th qtr. Then there's the FIU debacle trailing 23-3 with 10 mins remaining in the 4th. UM's defensive ranking is meaningless. Having a 4th qtr lead doesn't absolve the offense but the defense isn't nearly as stout as you make out. You're dreaming if you think UM is an OC away from 10 wins

Thank you!!!

Advertisement
As I've mentioned in previous posts, UM had 4th qtr leads in 4/7 losses, another loss they missed a PAT to tie the game with 3:00 mins left in the 4th qtr. Then there's the FIU debacle trailing 23-3 with 10 mins remaining in the 4th. UM's defensive ranking is meaningless. Having a 4th qtr lead doesn't absolve the offense but the defense isn't nearly as stout as you make out. You're dreaming if you think UM is an OC away from 10 wins

La Tech had 7 points with a minute to go
GT Tech score 7 points on offense in regulation
Duke had 13 points going into the 4th
FIU had 13 points at half

If we had a semi decent offense all 4 of those games would have been over at halftime like the Louisville game

Defense isn't some elite unit but to cry like its the root of our problems is stupid

I saw a stat that if in our our previous 3 years if we scored 30 points we would have like 1 or 2 losses

"Defense isn't some elite unit but to cry like its the root of our problems is stupid"

Its not the root of the problem!!
But does that mean we cant try to improve it?????
Whats wrong with that???
Why do we havd to stand still and not try to improve?

Thanks OP for actually using OBJECTIVE stats as opposed to dumbasses trying to frame a narrative that our defense sucks.

There are a million things wrong with this team and the athletic administration, but the defense on the field is the least of our problems.
4th and 17. Get your resume polished, Hecht troll.

Advertisement
Sh*t is a ******* facade. What was their rankings in the 4th quarter in games lost?
You want them to play 90 plays a game and don’t breakdown? What type unrealistic scit you thinking? You act as if you never played football before. That scit has happened to the Bucs, The Ravens, The Steelers, The Rams, when they were top defenses.. it just happened to the Pats. You can’t be on the field all day and expect to be great in the 4th, not reality.

F*** the rankings. We all saw 4th & 17 at UNC, Virginia Tech's fullback looking like Larry Czonka, FIU, and Duke. LB and DB recruiting are crippling the roster.

Overhaul is needed with the defensive staff as well. Don't kid yourself for a second.

This.

those numbers are inflated by playing horrible competition. But when it mattered most the defense was crap!

redshirting a perfectly healthy junior (who still hasn’t developed after 4 years) should tell you all you need to know about this staff.

Advertisement
You want them to play 90 plays a game and don’t breakdown? What type unrealistic scit you thinking? You act as if you never played football before. That scit has happened to the Bucs, The Ravens, The Steelers, The Rams, when they were top defenses.. it just happened to the Pats. You can’t be on the field all day and expect to be great in the 4th, not reality.

Ain’t no one defending 90 plays a game... , miamis bad offense averaged having the ball over 30 minutes a game. AND bottom line they HANDED THE DEFNESE THE LEAD IN 5 games in the 4th quarter yet allowed the opposing offense to score a go ahead td immediately after being given a lead from the bad offense...not even going to talk about allowed fiu and duke to score 2 tds each in the 4th quarter. Defense was a fluke in clutch situations period, Fvck what you are doing with frivolous stats,they folded in clutch situations when they had to stand the Fvck up and defend a lead and they DIDNT

This is literally groundhog day. It's insane. There's 50 of these threads every single off-season. We talked about LITERALLY the same stuff at this exact time last year.

And what did we say? Man....if we could just find an offense to score 30 a game. 30 a game. We need 30 a game.

Well......that didn't happen. AGAIN. And guess what? You know how many teams scored more than 30 this year against Miami? ONE. One team. And it was VT, who scored 3 first-quarter TDs on drives of 48, 23, and 20 yards, because our inept offense insisted on giving them the ball deep in our own territory.

The defense DEFINITELY has flaws. No doubt. It's not an elite defense. It's not a championship defense. But I cannot stress enough that the defense is MILES ahead of the offense right now. We just lost a college football game 14-0. In 2019. We lost a game 14-0. ZERO!!

And I say this every year, but here we go again....there's 130 FBS teams. 47 of those teams averaged 30.0 PPG or better. 47 out of 130. So, I'm not asking for The Greatest Show on Turf here. Just be in the Top 48. And see how much better the defense looks.

2019 -- 22.6 PPG
2018 -- 24.8 PPG
2017 -- 28.1 PPG
2016 -- 31.3 PPG

Been since 2016 since this program averaged 30+ a game. That's beyond embarrassing.

Yeah, for me the defense isn't all-world, but like many of you I almost think it's tough to fairly judge it based on the bad situations this offense has constantly put it in over the last 3 seasons.

Advertisement
This is literally groundhog day. It's insane. There's 50 of these threads every single off-season. We talked about LITERALLY the same stuff at this exact time last year.

And what did we say? Man....if we could just find an offense to score 30 a game. 30 a game. We need 30 a game.

Well......that didn't happen. AGAIN. And guess what? You know how many teams scored more than 30 this year against Miami? ONE. One team. And it was VT, who scored 3 first-quarter TDs on drives of 48, 23, and 20 yards, because our inept offense insisted on giving them the ball deep in our own territory.

The defense DEFINITELY has flaws. No doubt. It's not an elite defense. It's not a championship defense. But I cannot stress enough that the defense is MILES ahead of the offense right now. We just lost a college football game 14-0. In 2019. We lost a game 14-0. ZERO!!

And I say this every year, but here we go again....there's 130 FBS teams. 47 of those teams averaged 30.0 PPG or better. 47 out of 130. So, I'm not asking for The Greatest Show on Turf here. Just be in the Top 48. And see how much better the defense looks.

2019 -- 22.6 PPG
2018 -- 24.8 PPG
2017 -- 28.1 PPG
2016 -- 31.3 PPG

Been since 2016 since this program averaged 30+ a game. That's beyond embarrassing.
Well stated...agree

Yeah, for me the defense isn't all-world, but like many of you I almost think it's tough to fairly judge it based on the bad situations this offense has constantly put it in over the last 3 seasons.
AND when they were placed in a good situation, leads in the 4th quarter in 5 of 6 games that they lost they COULDN'T come through or get a stop, equally as bad

AND when they were placed in a good situation, leads in the 4th quarter in 5 of 6 games that they lost they COULDN'T come through or get a stop, equally as bad

Not even close to equally as bad. Equally as bad would mean that the defensive numbers were as bad as the offensive numbers. That's not even close to true.

I will agree with you that they did not come through in the clutch this year. That's very true, absolutely obvious, and cannot be ignored. They were given leads several times this year and couldn't hold them late in games.

HOWEVER....points in the first quarter are worth just as much as they are in the fourth quarter. You don't get a bonus for a 4th quarter TD. Why are we in 4th quarter dogfights with Central Michigan and Georgia Tech and Pitt and Duke..etc. etc? Because the offense SUCKED early in games (well, to be fair they sucked late in games, between games, while thinking about games, at the half of games, while playing board games, during video games.....).

Do we care that Miami gives up a 4th and 17 if the offense doesn't fail to take advantage of red zone opportunities in the first half in Chapel Hill and Miami is up 3 scores, as they should've been? Do we care that Franks & Hammond smoke our secondary late in Orlando if we have a 10+ point lead, as we should have? We lost to GT and the defense didn't give up a single point in the 2nd half. Not one. But too bad the offense scored 7 for them in the first half, punt return gave up a TD to Reggie Roby's fatter son, and our offense scored ZERO in the 2nd half, at home, against a 3-9 team.

Your points are valid, but you're reaching for the highest fruit on the tree. Yes, the defense needs to be better, but this is Miami. We simply cannot fix multiple things here. Baby steps...this program is abysmal and we need to focus on one thing at a time, and maybe, HOPEFULLY, it'll improve. That focus needs to be the offense. Go step on some throats early in games and we aren't even having this discussion. 17 points against Central Michigan? 17 against Duke? ZERO AGAINST LOUISIANA TECH!?

How many points did the fiu offense average and what did we give up?
They averaged 26 and we gave up 30. Obviously a bad performance. Of course, equally important in that game was the offense getting shut out in the first half and only getting a field goal in the 3rd quarter.

Advertisement
Back