Defensive adjustments

Advertisement
This defense only needs one adjustment....and that's to completely scrap the scheme.

Other than that it's awesome.

Yes dats right uh hmmm... Fire errbody and change da schemezz is what needs to be done. Brilliant!

Hey you seem like a guy who just gets it. Two questions: Do you know how to stop shallow crossing routes? Do you think you could throw in maybe one adjustment over the course of four games to stop shallow crossing routes?

It's not all about the scheme but if you don't think our defensive philosophy wasn't part of the problem then I don't know what you're watching fam.

Gaines was the guy who got the defense lined up last year. The coaches seemed to put a high value on that. Was Kirby ready for that job? I don't know the answer. Can he do it this year? I hope so, but I don't see an indication good or bad about him. The little bit of spring ball we've seen there haven't been complaints about the job he is doing.

The JUCO DTs are replacing Porter and Renfrow. I don't really see that as bad, but Porter and Renfrow actually played well last year. The only guy were losing that I don't feel we have a good replacement for is Robinson backing up Pierre, but even then we can get snaps from Hamilton (who finally looks healthy and has gotten good attention in practice) and from Moten (who is talented enough to play as a frosh).

The spots where we hurt the most defensively last year were at safety (where we should see improvement) and strongside defensive end (where hopefully Kamalu can get more playing time as he's shown potential).

And when we talk about magically blossoming, you forget that in sports that little things add up to big things. There were a number of times where last year's guys were in position, failed to make the play, then the D got hit hard later. You put a more talented guy in those spots (with the necessary experience) and we'll see better results, but more importantly, we won't see the additional plays because the D will actually get off the field.

I appreciate you engaging in the discussion and attempting to explain your position. I just don't see anything there that makes me feel comfortable or confident that the replacements will yield dramatically different results. I think your whole post is based on hope.

Will you agree that we need dramatically different results on defense?

This defense only needs one adjustment....and that's to completely scrap the scheme.

Yes dats right uh hmmm... Fire errbody and change da schemezz is what needs to be done. Brilliant!

Hey you seem like a guy who just gets it. Two questions: Do you know how to stop shallow crossing routes? Do you think you could throw in maybe one adjustment over the course of four games to stop shallow crossing routes?

It's not all about the scheme but if you don't think our defensive philosophy wasn't part of the problem then I don't know what you're watching fam.

Yes uh hmmm... I no howz to stop the shallow crossing route. Youz take da souf fl talent and line dem up in da aggressive 4-3 defense that they used to running da highschool. You no you have to make it easy on da stud afletes that Miami is used to gettin. Duh!

Errbody no dat...

Schemezzz! Schemezzz! Schemezzz!

Advertisement
What is the Golden slurper's rebuttal for the refusal to cover shallow crossing routes for the last several weeks of the season?

What is the Golden slurper's rebuttal for the refusal to cover shallow crossing routes for the last several weeks of the season?

"We didn't have enough talent/were too young on D."

Once our D-line is full of Vince Wilfork's and J. Clowney's we should see some marked improvement.

It could NEVER be the scheemeeeezzzzzzz!!!!!!! ya mope

Last edited:

Yes uh hmmm... I no howz to stop the shallow crossing route. Youz take da souf fl talent and line dem up in da aggressive 4-3 defense that they used to running da highschool. You no you have to make it easy on da stud afletes that Miami is used to gettin. Duh!

Errbody no dat...

Schemezzz! Schemezzz! Schemezzz!

Na dawg....yo gotta get them horses yo...and scheme works wen you got dem horses.

Wonce we get them D-ends than can cover WR's we fittin to lock this **** down yo

Trendin up

Last edited:

What part of the scheme is designed to allow shallow crossing routes to go uncovered?

Advertisement
What it all boils down too is consistency. In the past 3 years. Our defense has played great at times and played horrible at times. It was due to everything. Bad play calls, talent, talent again (very important) oh yeah did I mention talent, you know people who have football instincts and know how to wrap up while tackling, oh yeah those guys. What we also lack is an environment where there was pressure to win. We didnt have Pressure to win anything because we most likely wasn't going bowling. Al let the program down at that stand point. But with the cuffs off, we now can say we have a chance to win a national championship which wasn't the case the last 3 years. Like Al said "it's time" and he knows it, we gotta bring it. and the pressure is on now which is going to equal better competition and better play.

We don't have the talent in year 3 to not allow 480+ yards to Pittsburgh or UVA.

Jesus, do some of you hear yourselves?

We don't have the talent in year 3 to not allow 480+ yards to Pittsburgh or UVA.

134.jpg

Advertisement

Most individuals you encounter in life are usually dumb, it isnt any different on here, if anything it is worse. These are the same people that will tell you we were every bit as good as FSU last year. I mean this is the same board that had threads up on how Morris had a great shot of sneaking into the first round.

The scheme is complete trash imo. The historically bad defenses maybe have been the confluence of bad veteran players, inexperienced talented kids playing too early and transitioning from 4-3 to a 3-4, but the fact is the scheme produced the worst defenses ever fielded at Miami. The scheme has to be a part of that. that said, I expect better results this year since it will be year two in the full scheme. We also have better players playing the pivotal roles. The Jack, Mike, will, corners, safties and the ends are all getting an upgrade. Dt is probably a wash. Has no choice but to get better. I also expect more schematically due to more versatile athletes being on the field.

The scheme is complete trash imo. The historically bad defenses maybe have been the confluence of bad veteran players, inexperienced talented kids playing too early and transitioning from 4-3 to a 3-4, but the fact is the scheme produced the worst defenses ever fielded at Miami. The scheme has to be a part of that. that said, I expect better results this year since it will be year two in the full scheme. We also have better players playing the pivotal roles. The Jack, Mike, will, corners, safties and the ends are all getting an upgrade. Dt is probably a wash. Has no choice but to get better. I also expect more schematically due to more versatile athletes being on the field.

I hope, but I'm not sure. I'm hanging on to the hope that they'll make some changes. If they ask these DTs to do what last year's DTs were asked to do, I think we'll see only a marginal bump up (ranking-wise).

Advertisement
Gaines was the guy who got the defense lined up last year. The coaches seemed to put a high value on that. Was Kirby ready for that job? I don't know the answer. Can he do it this year? I hope so, but I don't see an indication good or bad about him. The little bit of spring ball we've seen there haven't been complaints about the job he is doing.

The JUCO DTs are replacing Porter and Renfrow. I don't really see that as bad, but Porter and Renfrow actually played well last year. The only guy were losing that I don't feel we have a good replacement for is Robinson backing up Pierre, but even then we can get snaps from Hamilton (who finally looks healthy and has gotten good attention in practice) and from Moten (who is talented enough to play as a frosh).

The spots where we hurt the most defensively last year were at safety (where we should see improvement) and strongside defensive end (where hopefully Kamalu can get more playing time as he's shown potential).

And when we talk about magically blossoming, you forget that in sports that little things add up to big things. There were a number of times where last year's guys were in position, failed to make the play, then the D got hit hard later. You put a more talented guy in those spots (with the necessary experience) and we'll see better results, but more importantly, we won't see the additional plays because the D will actually get off the field.

I appreciate you engaging in the discussion and attempting to explain your position. I just don't see anything there that makes me feel comfortable or confident that the replacements will yield dramatically different results. I think your whole post is based on hope.

Will you agree that we need dramatically different results on defense?

My 2 points of hope rest 1. Finally having players that can physically play at some of the important positions and 2. The trend observed at UVA and Temple of the defense showing the most improvement in year 3.

These aren't great beacons of hope but they aren't crazy or stupid either.

I hope, but I'm not sure. I'm hanging on to the hope that they'll make some changes. If they ask these DTs to do what last year's DTs were asked to do, I think we'll see only a marginal bump up (ranking-wise).

You don't think having AQM playing full time and bush back in the play making saftey/hybrid role he played as a frosh will move the defense forward significantly? This is probably blind hope and homerism, but I see this defense being built around Deon and AQM. They will give us real versatility and give teams less to sight adjust to. It was too easy to scheme against our personnel last year. Too many one trick pony's on the field for us last year. I think AQM/McCord and Bush are the lynch pins to unlocking this scheme. At least I hope so.

Nothing sadder than watching simpletons and losers make excuses for our defense ranking worse than the likes of Northwestern, Toledo, Colorado St, Rutgers, Boise St, Army, Navy, Kent St, Ohio, Western Michigan, etc. in Golden's third season.

But hey lets redshirt our top talent and wait another year!

What part of the scheme is designed to allow shallow crossing routes to go uncovered?

Kids aren't executing. Shayon needed to work on his backpedal a bit more and improve his jam.

But you want to redshirt one of our most fluid linebacker recruits. Can't have it both ways

Advertisement
Back