Defensive adjustments

You guys realize that we were like 80th in defense, right?

How much better do you guys expect to be with a slight infusion of young talent?

Even if we improve 40 spots we'll still suck. It's THAT bad.

Advertisement
There's no reason to believe Carter and Kirby will not both experience a year over year improvement that is extremely common for young, talented players

No reason to believe that a better athlete in the Jack spot will generate better results - Muhammed, McCord

No reason to think that just not having a guy like Highsmith on the field won't fix a few things

No reason to think that a guy like Kamalu won't make a leap after getting more practice and more weight room time under his belt

The defense's overall talent level is set to improve, and there are a number of guys who have shown much improvement on the practice field that can translate to the games

No way! It's da schemezzz! Fire errbody and change da schemezzz!

The schemezzz is most definitely an issue. Pull your head out of your ***.

This defense only needs one adjustment....and that's to completely scrap the scheme.

Other than that it's awesome.

Yes dats right uh hmmm... Fire errbody and change da schemezz is what needs to be done. Brilliant!

As opposed to keep errbody who dun duin a greeeat job and have us wit dat nasty d year in and year out yooooo

Every post should be your post. Good job.

Advertisement
It should improve over what we saw last year. So we've got that going for us.

Nothing sadder than watching simpletons and losers make excuses for our defense ranking worse than the likes of Northwestern, Toledo, Colorado St, Rutgers, Boise St, Army, Navy, Kent St, Ohio, Western Michigan, etc. in Golden's third season.

When we are consistently saying things like:

"I wish we could cover a crossing route."

"How could the closest defender be 5 yards away from their best receiver?"

AND

"Why is our best defensive end covering their slot receiver?" (My personal favorite)

That is a major ******* issue at this level of football. And as for the "better personnel will hide it"...do you really think having Mccord line up over a receiver instead of Green or Armbrister makes that big a difference? Or that having Carter in over Highsmith negates the massive holes in the middle of our zone? C'mon. Major overhaul needed. Period.

I don't think having the weakside defensive end or jack backer playing some zone responsibility outside is that big of a deal. It's not anything new, just the alignment stands out. Pretty much anything the defense tries is tainted in the minds of our fans, which is fair due to the struggles. I don't think they're trying anything radically unique on defense, although they seem to be doing a poor job of implementing the scheme.

Advertisement
There's no reason to believe Carter and Kirby will not both experience a year over year improvement that is extremely common for young, talented players

No reason to believe that a better athlete in the Jack spot will generate better results - Muhammed, McCord

No reason to think that just not having a guy like Highsmith on the field won't fix a few things

No reason to think that a guy like Kamalu won't make a leap after getting more practice and more weight room time under his belt

The defense's overall talent level is set to improve, and there are a number of guys who have shown much improvement on the practice field that can translate to the games

So if the scheme has been successful previously, why is it an issue all of a suddenly?

So if the scheme has been successful previously, why is it an issue all of a suddenly?
A mere 2 Top 20 defenses, in a sea defenses in the 60's during the multiple decades Golden has been a defensive coordinator and head coach.

Scheme has been successful previously.

You can't make this crap up.

A mere 2 Top 20 defenses, in a sea defenses in the 60's during the multiple decades Golden has been a defensive coordinator and head coach.

The only ones that matter to me are the ones where al was the hc and donof was the dc.. When they got their guys, they were good. . Those guys were also good the season after golden left.

The only ones that matter to me are the ones where al was the hc and donof was the dc.. When they got their guys, they were good. . Those guys were also good the season after golden left.
Yeah. How could Al's defenses as a defensive coordinator possibly matter in this discussion?

Advertisement
Golden/D'Onofrio's pattern has been to be beyond terrible the first year they are implementing the scheme. Show some improvement in year 2, and show an increased rate of improvement in year 3. It happened at UVA and it happened at Temple. The first 2 years it appears to be happening at Miami. I wish they would have gone ahead and started the implementation in 2011 so we would be further ahead of schedule.

Not to say that the defense will absolutely continue to follow prior patterns, just that it very much appears to be doing so and our talent is getting much better year over year.

Yeah. How could Al's defenses as a defensive coordinator possibly matter in this discussion?

Just like everyone knows this is goldens D...There's a 99% chance that was grohs D, even though al was the coordinator.

OP you start with a thread title labeled defensive adjustments and then ask what we can do about personnel? Our biggest issues are in fact with the inflexibility of our staff. Sure there are certain issues with scheme as their were issues with talent. Players like Gaines, and Highsmith had no business playing for Miami let alone starting, but that doesn't excuse give up 300 yds rushing I'm back to back games. It's no excuse for makin Logan Thomas look like a 1st round pick. Our problem has been that the staff won't adjust to working with our personnel. The S Fl athlete just isn't built for their scheme. So the solution to that is to recruit players that will fit and that is dangerous because then u are ignoring the richest recruiting base is the nation. But that is another discussion. What u do is go outside of that bare but we haven't exactly been successful at doing that either.

Advertisement
The defense will undoubtedly improve with the infusion of better talent. The only problem with that wing and a prayer approach is that it will have to improve massively to even be considered decent.

So let me ask the blind hopers this: What makes you think that a bunch of guys, who, according to the actions of the corches in choosing not to play those guys ahead of the bums that you feel have conspired to keep Fat Al down, will suddenly blossom into guys who turn an 80th ranked defense into a top 20 defense?

Why, for instance, is Kirby suddenly going to be infinitely better than Gaines when he couldn't take anyone's reps last year? It's not like Kirby was a true freshmans. Why will a bunch of JUCO DTs and guys like King and Moore magically become light years better than the experienced guys they're replacing?

Gaines was the guy who got the defense lined up last year. The coaches seemed to put a high value on that. Was Kirby ready for that job? I don't know the answer. Can he do it this year? I hope so, but I don't see an indication good or bad about him. The little bit of spring ball we've seen there haven't been complaints about the job he is doing.

The JUCO DTs are replacing Porter and Renfrow. I don't really see that as bad, but Porter and Renfrow actually played well last year. The only guy were losing that I don't feel we have a good replacement for is Robinson backing up Pierre, but even then we can get snaps from Hamilton (who finally looks healthy and has gotten good attention in practice) and from Moten (who is talented enough to play as a frosh).

The spots where we hurt the most defensively last year were at safety (where we should see improvement) and strongside defensive end (where hopefully Kamalu can get more playing time as he's shown potential).

And when we talk about magically blossoming, you forget that in sports that little things add up to big things. There were a number of times where last year's guys were in position, failed to make the play, then the D got hit hard later. You put a more talented guy in those spots (with the necessary experience) and we'll see better results, but more importantly, we won't see the additional plays because the D will actually get off the field.

The defense will undoubtedly improve with the infusion of better talent. The only problem with that wing and a prayer approach is that it will have to improve massively to even be considered decent.

So let me ask the blind hopers this: What makes you think that a bunch of guys, who, according to the actions of the corches in choosing not to play those guys ahead of the bums that you feel have conspired to keep Fat Al down, will suddenly blossom into guys who turn an 80th ranked defense into a top 20 defense?

Why, for instance, is Kirby suddenly going to be infinitely better than Gaines when he couldn't take anyone's reps last year? It's not like Kirby was a true freshmans. Why will a bunch of JUCO DTs and guys like King and Moore magically become light years better than the experienced guys they're replacing?

There's plenty of reasons a freshman or sophomore wouldn't take over a junior or seniors spot, even if they are inherently more "talented"... Knowing the plays, execution of said plays... being physically ready etc.... I can come in as a more talented safety prospect than the guys ahead of me, but that's only part of the equation.. Deon bush is a fine example of being more talented than the guys ahead of him. He was thrown to the wolves, and he got injured... in an ideal world, we wouldn't need to rely on Deon to come in and crush it from day one..

Yes! Fiah da corches and change da schemezz! Dis guy gets it!

Advertisement
Back