Defense 1 Game Improvement is "Trust"

Just another way to say the players were always to blame. This week they trusted Al's insane defense and it made all the difference. We should stop recruiting speed and talent. Stop the S&C program. Just recruit kids who trust Al's system without regard to size or speed. Heck, maybe girls would be more trusting and we could play them.

When does the new president take over? Can't be soon enough. These idiots are too prideful to even take credit for success if it means they have to admit they had to chnge something. They will NEVER improve. They must go.

Advertisement
I'm back on the Al Golden Bandwagon. This man has a plan (a process if you will) and he is executing it. The players now trust each other and the system and we will ham slam Tall Paul and GT on Saturday.

This is exactly what it means. You can hate all day on these coaches but what we all saw at Duke WAS in fact what happens when that crazy-*** system is run right. For my tastes, I'd rather see a more attacking style but in the end....if it works...it works..

It worked against a bunch of gimps just like it has many times in the past.

To be fair, even the gimps were putting up 500+ on us last year.

But like I said - I need to see this for at least four or five games in a row before I'm buying it.

Duke was a much better team last year, and they were better prepared. So far, we've played two decent teams and got whipped by both.

3.5 years of evidence. Color me skeptical of this newfound trust after hammering a terribly overmatched opponent at home.

So what are you going to say if we beat GT this week and play well on both sides of the ball.... I knew this would happen after the Duke win that everyone would down play it. Were they better last year? Yes no doubting that, but nonetheless they waxed our *** last year and a majority of people were expecting the same result and seems to me they were disappointed by it

For 41 games under these coaches, the players didn't trust. But in game 42, all the players got together and decided, let's trust. Not in game 41 or game 43, not against FSU or Virginia Tech or Nebraska, not in our bowl game, not last year when the ACC Coastal was on the line, not against Notre Dame or Kansas State, but game 42 at home against the Duke Blue Devils. Makes sense.

It's been almost 4 years. If we continue to improve and start to beat quality opponents and actually look good doing it, that's great and it'll certainly be a welcome change. But I'm not crowning Golden after a game or 2 of an aggressive D. It'll take him doing it until around 2018 just to break even.

Advertisement
For 41 games under these coaches, the players didn't trust. But in game 42, all the players got together and decided, let's trust. Not in game 41 or game 43, not against FSU or Virginia Tech or Nebraska, not in our bowl game, not last year when the ACC Coastal was on the line, not against Notre Dame or Kansas State, but game 42 at home against the Duke Blue Devils. Makes sense.

He's already lining up the excuses next year when we lose key guys like Chick, Pierre, Thurston, DP, Fentress - he'll talk next year how the new guys need to "trust" the system and how much of a loss to a defensive system it is to lose these multi year starters. Lather, rinse and repeat.

What answer would have made people happy?

Truthfully whatever he answered was probably a dumb question especially if the person was asking how we made such a dramatic defensive turnaround--it's ONE game.

This is exactly what it means. You can hate all day on these coaches but what we all saw at Duke WAS in fact what happens when that crazy-*** system is run right. For my tastes, I'd rather see a more attacking style but in the end....if it works...it works..

But like I said - I need to see this for at least four or five games in a row before I'm buying it.

Duke was a much better team last year, and they were better prepared. So far, we've played two decent teams and got whipped by both.

3.5 years of evidence. Color me skeptical of this newfound trust after hammering a terribly overmatched opponent at home.

So what are you going to say if we beat GT this week and play well on both sides of the ball.... I knew this would happen after the Duke win that everyone would down play it. Were they better last year? Yes no doubting that, but nonetheless they waxed our *** last year and a majority of people were expecting the same result and seems to me they were disappointed by it

I'll say the same thing because GT sucks. Until we start beating some good teams, I'm going to remain a skeptic. I won't get sucked in by beating **** teams because we've been pretty good at that for a long time now.

I'll say the same thing because GT sucks. Until we start beating some good teams, I'm going to remain a skeptic. I won't get sucked in by beating **** teams because we've been pretty good at that for a long time now.

So basically we need to beat FSU that's the only team on our schedule that's good right?

Advertisement

So basically we need to beat FSU that's the only team on our schedule that's good right?

Smh.

How about we not get gashed by good teams like Nebraska?

We lost to the two decent teams we've already played. Vag Tech also fits the decent category just because of the way they get up for us every time. They also have better athletes than GT and Puke.

And, yeah, I do expect to beat FSU once in awhile. When did it become written in stone that UM can't beat FSU once in awhile?

We lost to the two decent teams we've already played. Vag Tech also fits the decent category just because of the way they get up for us every time. They also have better athletes than GT and Puke.

And, yeah, I do expect to beat FSU once in awhile. When did it become written in stone that UM can't beat FSU once in awhile?

I agree.... we need to end the Fsu losing streak this year but I'm just wondering if we beat VT in Blacksburg will people downplay that win?

THIS

Advertisement

I agree.... we need to end the Fsu losing streak this year but I'm just wondering if we beat VT in Blacksburg will people downplay that win?

I can't speak for what others will say about playing VT. But, for me, it will depend on the circumstances. If Vag Tech goes into that game with a bunch of losses and a ton of injuries, then beating them handily should be expected. If they go in playing well and relatively healthy, then it would be a good win for UM.

What does it matter what "people" think? The results are what matters.

Considering Al's best record in conference is 5-3. He is 1-2 against VT, 1-2 against UVA and 0-3 against FSU....even if he beats VT, who cares? VT already lost to GT. VT doesn't mean jack chit on it's own. These games don't mean anything (besides FSU) on their own. Circumstances change, the overall record will tell the full story (as it already has).

To me, it doesn't matter (a ton) what vt's injury situation is. The game is on a thurs night in Blacksburg. Even when they're undermanned, they always manage to elevate their play.

So, if we go into VT and win - that's a big sign of progress IMO.

But again, it depends on circumstance. Is it a rainy day with 10 turnovers? Etc

Advertisement
Who does that fat **** think he's kidding?
At least Randy would have had the decent to say "duh.....I dunno"

So after years and years of getting walloped including the week before. They started trusting it more. Even though it's failed over and over....more trust? Yea. Coaches think people are idiots sometime. We know they have change stuff,why? Because we SEE it.

To me, it doesn't matter (a ton) what vt's injury situation is. The game is on a thurs night in Blacksburg. Even when they're undermanned, they always manage to elevate their play.

So, if we go into VT and win - that's a big sign of progress IMO.

But again, it depends on circumstance. Is it a rainy day with 10 turnovers? Etc

One win against a team that doesn't sign the talent we do isn't really a sign of "big progress" in light of 4 years of garbage. It's all about the body of work. It's hard to gum El Foldo's junk for beating Vag Tech when he's already laid two pteradactyl eggs this year. No telling what else will happen the rest of the year.

So after years and years of getting walloped including the week before. They started trusting it more. Even though it's failed over and over....more trust? Yea. Coaches think people are idiots sometime. We know they have change stuff,why? Because we SEE it.

The main thing they changed was Duke has less skill talent and a weaker OL than Nebraska.

Advertisement
Back