DeeJay's production is going to be a forgotten story this season

Advertisement
This is hyperbole. We should probably be more well balanced, but there are A LOT of reasons we should be pass-heavy (as opposed to "no reason"). The three most obvious:

1) We've spent half of the season playing from behind (ignoring BC).
2) We're not particularly good at running the football. Yes our 3.9 ypc is held down by the 28 sacks we've allowed, but you can't just back sacks out of that number without doing the same for every other team. Better metrics than ypc suggest that we are not good at running the football. Our power success rate ranks 123rd. Our stuff rate ranks 126th.
3) We are pretty good at throwing the ball (amazingly, considering last season's disaster). We are 19th in yards per game and 27th in efficiency. We are currently on pace for a 26 to 8 TD/INT ratio.

We probably shouldn't be running the ball 41% of the time, but how much more should we be running? 43%? 45%? 47%? We should be below 50%, I would think, given #2 and #3 of the above, as well as modern college football. Let's say 47%.

We're running 67 plays a game, so that works out to 4 more rushing attempts a game. Given that we've been down frequently (#1 above) and therefore can't reasonably run the ball as much as we would like, this is really complaining about what, 1-2 rushing attempts per game?

This seems like a trivial complaint. Yes maybe we should run the ball a little more, but we should try not to get ourselves in big holes, and we should try to get better at rushing. Those are far more important than 1-2 play calls per game.

The problem is that we are 127th in sack percentage (drive killers) and that's a big reason our offense is bad (94th in scoring, 72nd in yards per play). So the lopsided pass/run ratio isn't working, even if our passing numbers are decent.

More running means more touches for our gamebreakers and less pressure on the young OL to communicate and protect. I don't want us to flip the ratio, I just want more balance. We ran the ball effectively on that final drive against UVA (mixed with short passes) and had success in UF and North Carolina. There is still upside there.

I think back to 2016. We were 4-4 and deflated. We turned it around with quick-hitting passes and big-time running by Mark Walton.

With all the back and forth between everyone on who's the better leader at QB, people forget we tied VT on his 62 yard TD run and he had two crucial runs for 25 yards to set up our second TD against UVA.

He's been the leader of this offense, not Kosi or Jarren.

He is without a doubt our best offensive linemen player.

The problem is that we are 127th in sack percentage (drive killers) and that's a big reason our offense is bad (94th in scoring, 72nd in yards per play). So the lopsided pass/run ratio isn't working, even if our passing numbers are decent.

More running means more touches for our gamebreakers and less pressure on the young OL to communicate and protect. I don't want us to flip the ratio, I just want more balance. We ran the ball effectively on that final drive against UVA (mixed with short passes) and had success in UF and North Carolina. There is still upside there.

I think back to 2016. We were 4-4 and deflated. We turned it around with quick-hitting passes and big-time running by Mark Walton.

Fans correctly state we don’t have an offensive identity.

This is the identity Miami should commit to as program philosophy.

For years it has been where most of our offensive success comes from. It opens up and builds rhythm to the long passes we all love so much.

Unfortunately, we hire coordinators who want to make us something we are not.

Hurting, probably not. But the opportunity for much more is there.

Ron Dugans's salary this year - $200K.
2019 NFL rookie minimum salary - $480K. The lowest signing bonus for a 5th round draft pick last year ($233,988) was more than Dugans will make all year.

EDIT: In case anyone is curious: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/

For sure the opportunity is there to make money. But it'll most likely still be there if he stays too. And when money isn't an absolute dying need there are other opportunities that can take priority. Unless one of us knows DJ personally we don't know where his priorities lie.

A Mark Walton or an Artie Burns type situation puts you in the position where you go pro to take care of yourself. DJ doesn't have to take that path.

Advertisement
no. played six games
Thanks. It makes sense, then, for Diaz to play him sparingly. That being said, why not wait until the last 4 games of the season then let him get meaningful carries? Why waste 4 games on a few special teams plays?

Thanks. It makes sense, then, for Diaz to play him sparingly. That being said, why not wait until the last 4 games of the season then let him get meaningful carries? Why waste 4 games on a few special teams plays?
Lingard hasn't played yet this year because he hasn't felt ready even though he was medically cleared. The decision to redshirt this year was his idea.

They're loading the box though. Unless you are a threat to pass, there's always +1 or +2 on the defense to stop even a great back. Look at our 3rd down conversions. Running doesn't help. Our problem is our OL and our lack of middle/deep passing effectiveness. Fix that and you can run the ball much more effectively.

Lingard hasn't played yet this year because he hasn't felt ready even though he was medically cleared. The decision to redshirt this year was his idea.
Pretty sure he ran down on special teams once. I'm all for him redshirting if he's not going to get carries, but honestly, how often do GOOD RBs stick around for a redshirt senior year anyway?

Advertisement

Definitely agree with D$ that our Run/Pass Ratio is way out of whack - I took a look back at 2016 vs 2019 (just in our first 4 P5 games)

I just looked at our Top 2 RB's & Passing attempts, so it removes any sacks from skewing the stats

1-3 record
241 plays
Walton & Yearby - 102 - 440 yds - 4.3 ypc - 110 yds per game
Kaaya - 71-120, 1002 yds, - 8.4 ypa - 240 yds per game
Ratio - 54% Pass / 46% Run

1-3 record
272 plays
Dallas & Cam - 65 - 427 yds - 6.6 ypc - 107 yds per game
Jarren/N'Kosi - 97-147, 1174 yds, - 8.0 ypa - 294 yds per game
Ratio - 69% Pass / 31% Run

There are some things that throw the Run/Pass ratio off - like WR jet sweeps in 2019 and called runs for Perry/Williams that would be RB runs in 2016. But still - our top 2 RB's are getting the ball a really small % of the time. Yearby got the ball as much in 2016 as Dallas is in 2019.

But I have different take that we had a better record in the back half of 2016 because of adjustments we made.

I think our opponents just got much easier - 2016 our first 4 P5 opponents combined for 37 wins. Our last 6 P5 opponents combined for 35 wins.

No reason for DJ to return. He’s put enough on tape and all he needs now is to put up the training numbers. A year later in CFB isn’t going to improve that.

I love what he’s laying on the line every week. True Cane!

Doesn't he have a kid now too? With Lingard redshirting this year, Cam Harris still having at least one more year, and Don Chaney set to come in next season, that's gonna be a crowded RB room. I'd be very surprised if DJ stays if he thinks he has the slightest chance at getting drafted.
None of those guys have proven to be a shade near DJs level. I’m not being negative but we are going to miss Deejay and I hope he stays. We are taking our lumps this year with a lot of young guys. Next year will be better by experience.

Advertisement
For sure the opportunity is there to make money. But it'll most likely still be there if he stays too. And when money isn't an absolute dying need there are other opportunities that can take priority. Unless one of us knows DJ personally we don't know where his priorities lie.

A Mark Walton or an Artie Burns type situation puts you in the position where you go pro to take care of yourself. DJ doesn't have to take that path.

I understand your point. But at RB, more so than any other position in football, you are better off leaving early and taking the money. Those guys get grinded down and beaten up. The life expectancy of an NFL RB is incredibly brief. And very few get drafted in the money rounds these days (only 2 drafted in the top 2 rounds last year).

One of the most frustrating elements of this offseason was this board completely discounting DJ (calling him a fat, slow fumbling machine) and acting as if Cam Harris was going to be the second coming of Clinton Portis based on two runs. I like Cam, and I think he has game breaking ability, but he has done nothing this year and it's disappointing. I have yet to see him break a single tackle. He's run a few guys over and broken a couple runs that have called back but frankly I'd rather see what Robert Burns could to as the 2nd string back at this point.

Advertisement
Unless DeeJay decides to come back next year (unlikely) I think he will end up being one of the most underutilized RBs in Miami history. There are a lot of problems with this offense, but one of the most frustrating aspects is the lack of touches DJD gets on the ground and in the air. His numbers this season don't match his actual production when he gets the ball.

Rushing: 71 attempts, 473 yds, 6.7 avg, 6 TD
Receiving: 11 attempts, 82 yds, 7.5 avg, 1 TD

DeeJay is averaging 6.8 yards per touch and just over one TD per game. Yet through 6 games while Miami is averaging 66.2 offensive plays per game DeeJay is only accounting for 13.6 touches per game (about 20% of the total). The math doesn't add up. If you recall on our last two drives inside the 10 against UVA, DeeJay touched the ball ZERO times on six plays.

Simply put, DeeJay makes plays and finds the end zone - he needs the ball more, A LOT more. There is a strong possibility that DJD will finish the season averaging well over 6 yards per touch and will STILL finish under 1,000 yards on the ground and potentially under 1,000 yards ground+air. For an uninjured player in modern college football that is unheard of.
Bro I been saying all year give that stud the ball more ... He’s one of the only real ones .. And he legitimately breaks 1 or 2 a game .. And that is guaranteed

Unless DeeJay decides to come back next year (unlikely) I think he will end up being one of the most underutilized RBs in Miami history. There are a lot of problems with this offense, but one of the most frustrating aspects is the lack of touches DJD gets on the ground and in the air. His numbers this season don't match his actual production when he gets the ball.

Rushing: 71 attempts, 473 yds, 6.7 avg, 6 TD
Receiving: 11 attempts, 82 yds, 7.5 avg, 1 TD

DeeJay is averaging 6.8 yards per touch and just over one TD per game. Yet through 6 games while Miami is averaging 66.2 offensive plays per game DeeJay is only accounting for 13.6 touches per game (about 20% of the total). The math doesn't add up. If you recall on our last two drives inside the 10 against UVA, DeeJay touched the ball ZERO times on six plays.

Simply put, DeeJay makes plays and finds the end zone - he needs the ball more, A LOT more. There is a strong possibility that DJD will finish the season averaging well over 6 yards per touch and will STILL finish under 1,000 yards on the ground and potentially under 1,000 yards ground+air. For an uninjured player in modern college football that is unheard of.

20% of our touches for one player is a lot man. The question should be why are we only getting in 66 plays a game.

Advertisement
Back