DeeJay's production is going to be a forgotten story this season

I get what you're saying but just look at what other teams have done to UNC and VT on the ground. One of the reasons we got into the hole against those two teams is precisely because we were pass happy in the the first quarter and didn't lean on our ground game. Why not go to the ground game early and build up the pass game later? Especially when you have a RB1 who can put up 6+ yards per touch?
Our oline can’t block a soul consistently, if we tried to work the running game and we got stuffed(which happens most of the times anyway) people would be asking why we aren’t passing enough? Damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Need to work the quick passes early and passes out to the flats to the receivers and then build the running game off of that once you get it going.

Plus, I agree we need to run alittle more but i don’t want to at all if we are going to keep running it out of some of the formations enos is frequently calling because you already know what’s going to be the end result of that . However if he spreads it out and then tries to run now we are talking... Work smarter not harder

Advertisement
Split in carries before UVA game:

Dallas - 58 carries (61%)
Cam - 39 carries (39%)

UVA game:

Dallas - 13 carries (87%)
Cam - 2 carries (13%)

I wouldn't expect that wide of a split - but I'd expect to see "more Dallas, less Cam" moving forward

I'm all about getting DeeJay the ball more but is nearly 14 touches a game not a lot?

He isn't Montee Ball yknow

It’s not a lot. And especially when you factor how good he is in the passing game and he has 11 catches in 6 games. That’s awful. Especially when he’s had some success in the pass game, he’s good at it, he’s one of your 2-3 best players easily, and you have trouble running the ball traditionally.

I was also hoping to see he and Cam on the field together some this year with Deejay in an H-Back type role. Hasn’t happened at all. He catches everything you throw at him, let him catch the ball in space and work on backers & safeties.

Yes he has a newborn with Ron Dugans' daughter. They're not hurting for money.. he might stay

Hurting, probably not. But the opportunity for much more is there.

Ron Dugans's salary this year - $200K.
2019 NFL rookie minimum salary - $480K. The lowest signing bonus for a 5th round draft pick last year ($233,988) was more than Dugans will make all year.

EDIT: In case anyone is curious: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/draft/

Advertisement
I'm all about getting DeeJay the ball more but is nearly 14 touches a game not a lot?

He isn't Montee Ball yknow

Not really

For perspective - in 2016 Mark Walton had:

- 15 carries in 9 out of 13 games
- 15+ touches in 12 out of 13 games
- 14 touches was the lowest he had in any game
- Averaged 5.3 ypc & 5.8 yds per touch

And that's on a team that had Ahmon Richards, David Njoku, Chris Herndon, Stacey Coley, Braxton Berrios, Gus Edwards, Travis Homer, and Joe Yearby

Dallas has had a great year and I think he’s been the best player on the team through 6 games. Really looking forward to see what he does against FSU, seems like every year they shut down our run game so I really hope deejay can give us 100+ yards on the ground that game. If he can do that I will then say he’s truly an elite back.

Advertisement
With all the back and forth between everyone on who's the better leader at QB, people forget we tied VT on his 62 yard TD run and he had two crucial runs for 25 yards to set up our second TD against UVA.

He's been the leader of this offense, not Kosi or Jarren.

I had the opportunity to meet/talk to him coming out of high school at our bowl game against West VA few years ago when we put on a show in O-Town. Basically sat a couple rows behind me. Alot of people that follow recruiting notice him in the stands because he was very loud cheering for the boys playing before him when most recruits wanna play it cool like there too good . He was never the Star ****y ego type! Great intelligent young man and is a workhorse. His is a very focused and determine individual. I knew that he was going to be special. He was the lead recruiter in his class and ambassador of Miami football right now. A true leader that will be missed. Sad that we are not maximizing his full potential .

TBH... It;s going to be interesting to see if he is considering making a jump to the NFL now that he is a new dad . I actually think he will kill it in the combine and there would be teams interested to select him in the early rounds . I may be wrong but I highly doubt he will leave he is ALL MIAMI and absolutely LOVES UNIV, FOOTBALL AND THE CITY OF MIAMI.

#OutOfTownRecruitsMakingTheCribGreatAgain!

GO CANES!!!

Last edited:
Not really

For perspective - in 2016 Mark Walton had:

- 15 carries in 9 out of 13 games
- 15+ touches in 12 out of 13 games
- 14 touches was the lowest he had in any game
- Averaged 5.3 ypc & 5.8 yds per touch

And that's on a team that had Ahmon Richards, David Njoku, Chris Herndon, Stacey Coley, Braxton Berrios, Gus Edwards, Travis Homer, and Joe Yearby

Thanks for the perspective. Maybe it’s not a lot but I feel like it’s enough given we seem to be in 2nd and long more often than not.

Advertisement
He’s just special. Not a combine warrior but he clearly looks faster under the new s&c and he must makes plays.

Unless DeeJay decides to come back next year (unlikely) I think he will end up being one of the most underutilized RBs in Miami history. There are a lot of problems with this offense, but one of the most frustrating aspects is the lack of touches DJD gets on the ground and in the air. His numbers this season don't match his actual production when he gets the ball.

Rushing: 71 attempts, 473 yds, 6.7 avg, 6 TD
Receiving: 11 attempts, 82 yds, 7.5 avg, 1 TD

DeeJay is averaging 6.8 yards per touch and just over one TD per game. Yet through 6 games while Miami is averaging 66.2 offensive plays per game DeeJay is only accounting for 13.6 touches per game (about 20% of the total). The math doesn't add up. If you recall on our last two drives inside the 10 against UVA, DeeJay touched the ball ZERO times on six plays.

Simply put, DeeJay makes plays and finds the end zone - he needs the ball more, A LOT more. There is a strong possibility that DJD will finish the season averaging well over 6 yards per touch and will STILL finish under 1,000 yards on the ground and potentially under 1,000 yards ground+air. For an uninjured player in modern college football that is unheard of.

Inside zone from the gun should be our bread and butter run play.

DJ housed the inside zone against Virginia tech.

Use it more mixed with the rpo, play action, and the quarterback zone read.

It will do wonders to open up the run game.

All DJ ever needs is a crease. He hits the hole hard and his talent takes over.

The offense should be built around short quick passing and inside zone running with DJ from spread formations.

Advertisement
I get what you're saying but just look at what other teams have done to UNC and VT on the ground. One of the reasons we got into the hole against those two teams is precisely because we were pass happy in the the first quarter and didn't lean on our ground game. Why not go to the ground game early and build up the pass game later? Especially when you have a RB1 who can put up 6+ yards per touch?

We should be balanced coming out.

Pass quickly from the gun and run hard up the middle.

It will slow down the pass rush, get our struggling offensive line confidence and make it easier to convert the deep passes we keep missing.

Our oline can’t block a soul consistently, if we tried to work the running game and we got stuffed(which happens most of the times anyway) people would be asking why we aren’t passing enough? Damned if you do and damned if you don’t. Need to work the quick passes early and passes out to the flats to the receivers and then build the running game off of that once you get it going.

Plus, I agree we need to run alittle more but i don’t want to at all if we are going to keep running it out of some of the formations enos is frequently calling because you already know what’s going to be the end result of that . However if he spreads it out and then tries to run now we are talking... Work smarter not harder

You are right on the money.

We can’t force feed the run. We have to force teams to respect the short passes and run after catch. Make them spread to cover laterally and get the linebackers and safeties off balance chasing receivers.

The perfect example is the last scoring drive against Virginia. Once we started hurting them with the stop routes. DJ started busting nice runs.

The short pass is what sets up everything we do until Enos kills it with a bad call, usually under center play action. Granted the screen did work but that was because it got the ball out of N’Kosi’s hand quickly after the fake.

Every thing we do has to be done hard and fast with the understanding that we usually don’t hold blocks very long.

Doesn't he have a kid now too? With Lingard redshirting this year, Cam Harris still having at least one more year, and Don Chaney set to come in next season, that's gonna be a crowded RB room. I'd be very surprised if DJ stays if he thinks he has the slightest chance at getting drafted.
Didn't Lingard redshirt last year?

There is no reason we should be one of the most pass-heavy teams in the nation. Give the ball to your best player.

This is hyperbole. We should probably be more well balanced, but there are A LOT of reasons we should be pass-heavy (as opposed to "no reason"). The three most obvious:

1) We've spent half of the season playing from behind (ignoring BC).
2) We're not particularly good at running the football. Yes our 3.9 ypc is held down by the 28 sacks we've allowed, but you can't just back sacks out of that number without doing the same for every other team. Better metrics than ypc suggest that we are not good at running the football. Our power success rate ranks 123rd. Our stuff rate ranks 126th.
3) We are pretty good at throwing the ball (amazingly, considering last season's disaster). We are 19th in yards per game and 27th in efficiency. We are currently on pace for a 26 to 8 TD/INT ratio.

We probably shouldn't be running the ball 41% of the time, but how much more should we be running? 43%? 45%? 47%? We should be below 50%, I would think, given #2 and #3 of the above, as well as modern college football. Let's say 47%.

We're running 67 plays a game, so that works out to 4 more rushing attempts a game. Given that we've been down frequently (#1 above) and therefore can't reasonably run the ball as much as we would like, this is really complaining about what, 1-2 rushing attempts per game?

This seems like a trivial complaint. Yes maybe we should run the ball a little more, but we should try not to get ourselves in big holes, and we should try to get better at rushing. Those are far more important than 1-2 play calls per game.

Advertisement
Back