DeeJay's production is going to be a forgotten story this season

HurricaneAce07

Class of 2007
Unless DeeJay decides to come back next year (unlikely) I think he will end up being one of the most underutilized RBs in Miami history. There are a lot of problems with this offense, but one of the most frustrating aspects is the lack of touches DJD gets on the ground and in the air. His numbers this season don't match his actual production when he gets the ball.

Rushing: 71 attempts, 473 yds, 6.7 avg, 6 TD
Receiving: 11 attempts, 82 yds, 7.5 avg, 1 TD

DeeJay is averaging 6.8 yards per touch and just over one TD per game. Yet through 6 games while Miami is averaging 66.2 offensive plays per game DeeJay is only accounting for 13.6 touches per game (about 20% of the total). The math doesn't add up. If you recall on our last two drives inside the 10 against UVA, DeeJay touched the ball ZERO times on six plays.

Simply put, DeeJay makes plays and finds the end zone - he needs the ball more, A LOT more. There is a strong possibility that DJD will finish the season averaging well over 6 yards per touch and will STILL finish under 1,000 yards on the ground and potentially under 1,000 yards ground+air. For an uninjured player in modern college football that is unheard of.

Advertisement
Unless DeeJay decides to come back next year (unlikely) I think he will end up being one of the most underutilized RBs in Miami history. There are a lot of problems with this offense, but one of the most frustrating aspects is the lack of touches DJD gets on the ground and in the air. His numbers this season don't match his actual production when he gets the ball.

DeeJay is averaging 6.8 yards per touch and just over one TD per game. Yet through 6 games while Miami is averaging 66.2 offensive plays per game DeeJay is only accounting for 13.6 touches per game (about 20% of the total). The math doesn't add up. If you recall on our last two drives inside the 10 against UVA, DeeJay touched the ball ZERO times on six plays.

Simply put, DeeJay makes plays and finds the end zone - he needs the ball more, A LOT more. There is a strong possibility that DJD will finish the season averaging well over 6 yards per touch and will STILL finish under 1,000 yards on the ground and potentially under 1,000 yards ground+air. For an uninjured player in modern college football that is unheard of.

I know it makes sense for a running back to preserve the legs / body and go pro early—but wouldn't be shocked if Dallas came back for one more go-around.

Homer was a late sixth-round pick. Six games in, hasn't touched the ball all year and made one special teams tackle.

Dallas seems to embody all things that a Miami Hurricane should be. Money talks—but this kid really does seem to love his current phase of his career. We'll see.

i don't see him leaving, especially if we finish this year strong and are able to shore up the line (not holding my breath on that, but it can't get much worse).

Doesn't he have a kid now too? With Lingard redshirting this year, Cam Harris still having at least one more year, and Don Chaney set to come in next season, that's gonna be a crowded RB room. I'd be very surprised if DJ stays if he thinks he has the slightest chance at getting drafted.

Advertisement
We havent been able to run the ball a lot. Against UNC we were down 21 early. Against central Michigan we had to abandon the run because they were killing us. Against Vtech we were down 28 early. Thats half your season being forced to become a passing team. We love running the ball but its hard to run down 20+ points. Also against Bethune you dont wanna run your RB1 20+ times.

i don't see him leaving, especially if we finish this year strong and are able to shore up the line (not holding my breath on that, but it can't get much worse).
I like Dallas and he’s proven me wrong this year. But him leaving early would be good for his situation obviously and also give opportunity for other backs on our roster to step up. Wouldn’t be a bad thing if he did leave early

DJ has a kid to raise, so no telling what his thought process will be regarding NFL. Would love to see him with more touches as well, but with our OL being so consitently awful, I never know quite what to expect from our O.

Advertisement
I like Dallas and he’s proven me wrong this year. But him leaving early would be good for his situation obviously and also give opportunity for other backs on our roster to step up. Wouldn’t be a bad thing if he did leave early
IDK about it not being a bad thing. Cam has not looked very good this year at all.

If he finishing this season with no major injuries. He needs to go Pro. The way the NFL chew RBs and spit them out. RBs need to get the all they can get asap.

Advertisement
Doesn't he have a kid now too? With Lingard redshirting this year, Cam Harris still having at least one more year, and Don Chaney set to come in next season, that's gonna be a crowded RB room. I'd be very surprised if DJ stays if he thinks he has the slightest chance at getting drafted.
Yes he has a newborn with Ron Dugans' daughter. They're not hurting for money.. he might stay

Unless he's all-ACC, not sure it makes sense for him to leave early.

I also doubt he'll be a "combine warrior", so he's gonna need stats.

Advertisement
We havent been able to run the ball a lot. Against UNC we were down 21 early. Against central Michigan we had to abandon the run because they were killing us. Against Vtech we were down 28 early. Thats half your season being forced to become a passing team. We love running the ball but its hard to run down 20+ points. Also against Bethune you dont wanna run your RB1 20+ times.
I get what you're saying but just look at what other teams have done to UNC and VT on the ground. One of the reasons we got into the hole against those two teams is precisely because we were pass happy in the the first quarter and didn't lean on our ground game. Why not go to the ground game early and build up the pass game later? Especially when you have a RB1 who can put up 6+ yards per touch?

There is no reason we should be one of the most pass-heavy teams in the nation. Give the ball to your best player.
Only so many touches to go around, we average 70 plays a game on the season but only had 55 va uva Id guess due to that lull we went on offensively after the first quarter(23 plays 35 yards in 6 drives). He needs more touches but that can be said about Brevin Jordan,Thomas,pope and a few others as well. I dont Want Miami turning into a ground and pound offense but it needs to be a little more balanced. But it’s kind of hard to do that with the way games have gone.

There is no reason we should be one of the most pass-heavy teams in the nation. Give the ball to your best player.

Or if you want to throw it, throw it to your best player(s).

Mr. Gould tweeted this morning that Jordan is averaging more yards per TARGET than our top 3 WRs are averaging per CATCH. Yet, he's targeted WAYYYY too infrequently. Again, for the 700th time, Mr. Enos, give your god**** players the football. Jordan should have AT LEAST 8 targets a game. Minimum. If you're throwing it 30 times, he should have a 25% target share, bar none. Deejay as well. He was targeted twice last week. Once was a TD. The other was a screen on 3rd and 19 when the whole world is expecting screen or draw and obviously keying on your back. Why? 2 targets? I'm a fan of keeping the ratio what it is, but there's no reason that in a game where you get 52 snaps on offense, only 15 go to Deejay and 3 go to Jordan. Only 35% of your touches going to your 2 best players. That's not enough.

For the season, Jordan has 26 touches and Deejay has 81. We've run 401 plays. That's 27% of your touches going to your 2 best and most productive players. And if you want to throw Jeff Thomas in there, he's got 30 touches. So 34% of your offensive plays are going to Deejay, Brevin, and Thomas combined. By comparison, 34% of Wisconsin's touches have gone to Jon Taylor. Give your good players the football.

Advertisement
Back